How should I handle early check-in charges?

Answered!
Sue5
Level 3
Auckland, New Zealand

How should I handle early check-in charges?

We live in Auckland, NZ and we have many guests arriving into the country at very early hours (from 04:30 - 08:00am) from Nth America & Europe.   Most of these travellers have flown non-stop and are, understandably tired after their long flights, so I am often asked about the possibility of early check-in.

My check out time is 10:00am and checkin time is 2:00pm

In the 3 years that we have been Airbnb hosts we have happily accommodated early checkins (where we can) so long as guests don't arrive before 08:30 / 9:00am.

Currently, there is no way to set and charge an early checkin fee which I think Airbnb have sadly overlooked.   When we travel, we often ask about early checkins at hotels and do expect to pay a surcharge.

We recently had a problem with an Indian couple who asked for early checkin and while I was showing the husband around the bedroom and bathroom, the wife started to help herself to the cereal contains that I have in the small lounge/kitchenette area.   Husband then joins her and says that they both want breakfast and where is the toast bread?!    I said that breakfast is served one hour before descending into Auckland and did they not have breakfast on the plane.   "No, we chose not to.  We decided to have breakfast here".    I told them that I had agreed to an early checkin but that an early checkin did NOT include breakfast.    Meanhile, Mrs is almost finished her cereal and Mr tells me that it's only a small request.    Gritting my teeth I went and got the bread.    Then I was told that they like to drink lots of warm milk and the small container of milk that I left in the fridge for tea/coffee would be enough.  As they had a rental car I suggested that they might like to go and buy the extra milk they need as I only provided one litre of milk per day.  But, sure as eggs, the next morning at breakfast they claim they have run out and need more for their 'breakfast'. 

It didn't help that this couple were quite demanding and clearly expected 7* service from my humble abode, however, my main gripe is the expectations surrounding early checkin.

Has anyone else contacted Airbnb requesting an update to their pricing options?

It wasn't even worthwhile having a discussion about an extra charge (one they had arrived) for breakfast as I could see where that potential discssion would end, but what have other Airbnb hosts done in the past with this kind of scenario?

As a footnote, this same Indian couple wrote a scathing review of a fellow Kiwi in Queenstown - he told me that although his website clearly states no breakfast provided, this couple demanded and argued the point with him!  

I'm pleased to say that this couple was the only bad experience I have had with Airbnb so far, thank goodness.

Sue

1 Best Answer
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

I'm not sure if it's available across the board, but I have the ability to " charge for extra amenities".  At least I did last month, now that I'm saying that I'm not even sure if it's still there.  But in any case, you can either charge for an extra amenity (early check-in) OR you can alter the booking to add an extra charge.  Say that you agree in advance to allow an early check in, which could mean blocking the calendar the night before meaning you lose revenue - you could agree with the requesting guest that early check-in is at half-day rate, and let's say you agree to charge them an extra $100 to ensure the apartment is available for them to check in at 7am.   Then go into their booking, chose "change or cancel" and DON"T HIT CANCEL BY MISTAKE ha!   Go into the field where you see the dollar amount, and make a change to the new rate (so in this example, adding $100).  Once you hit "submit" then the request goes to the guest and they either accept or not.  Once they accept the new charge is set as the confirmed amount.  If they don't accept, you can tell them - don't forget to accept the alteration to the booking so that we can confirm your early check-in. 

Anyhow, that's what I'd suggest, and how rude that couple was.  I don't like them on your behalf 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45
Daniel1507
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

Very true. But if I am able to is there a way to charge an early check in fee

Jennifer464
Level 4
Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica

I have put the the cost of early check-in in my house manual (guests must agree to the rules before booking).  If they request check-in before 12:00, i request they book another day. If they want to check in between 12:00 (previous guest check out time) and 3:00 pm (their check in time), I charge $20 but they also must use my smart lock because I do not want 2 keys to my home floating around. There is a button to "request money" fro your guest. I use that always. If they don't pay before arrving they cannot get in bc my smart lock will not allow it. 

@Jennifer464That is a great solution!

Just too bad that we cannot charge as much for early arrivals as for late departures: ..if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, "Overstay Fees")

Jennifer464
Level 4
Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica

Overstay at my place is really hard. My smart lock doesn’t allow it. If you want your thinks, we can make an arrangement at my convienence. Not sorry. 

Wow. Just wow.

I often check guest ratings. I also make it clear that I don't provide breakfast. The new KC regulations now say we can't provide food service unless we're registered as a bed and breakfast.

There are some people who are little needy and spoiled and it is helpful when hosts put that in a review. I've seen "did not follow (or respect) house rules" sometimes and that's enough to tell me what I need to know.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Since someone revived this very old thread, I will add a small story. Family from Ireland booked for six nights. Nice enough family. Told great stories. Stayed out late at night, no doubt enjoying a pint at the pub, but quiet as mice when they came back to the house. In fact, they were quite delightful overall. The day before their check out, the sister of the booker asked me if they could leave their luggage on the first floor. since they had a later flight. "Certainly" I said, but then added confused, "but you aren't checking out until tomorrow!"

The brother and booker had actually booked an extra night so that they could have the rooms and especially the private bathroom for last minute showering before heading to the airport for their 7pm flight. They actually checked out at 2pm! I packed up snacks in lieu of the next day's breakfast for them to take to the airport and had  a whole night with no guests. I enjoyed every minute.

Yes. They also left the rooms in immaculate condition and received a warm and enthusiastic review.

Kelly144
Level 4
Hobart, Australia

I respond with something like this: Dear X, the apartment will be clean and ready for you at 2pm.  The guests before you will have until 10am to depart, then we need to clean it. If you absolutely need to check in at 8am, please adjust your booking to include the previous night and then the apartment will be clean and ready for you when you arrive early in the morning. While the day prior to your arrival is not currently booked (so you still have time to adjust at your end) I expect that it will not stay vacant for much longer. [month] is a very busy time for us. If you prefer of course, you can leave the booking as is and I will see you at 2pm. Kindest regards, etc.

Sarah2221
Level 1
Virginia, United States

Have any Hosts here posed the question to AirBnB as to why there currently is no early check in feature?

Mike11
Level 4
Cape Town, ZA

We do get the request occasionally, but I certainly have not posed the question to AirBnB.

I do offer a free place to leave luggage tho.

However this year I have started charging an amount (if our housekeeping dept agrees

[sounds impressive tho it is my wife and maid] ) equal to 1/12 of the daily tarriff.

So far no-one has made use of this, and so we live in peace.

Mike11
Level 4
Cape Town, ZA

Jennifer in Philadelphis said "...  and it has completely ended the early check in process."

I agree. Once I made the requestor aware of extra charges, I did not hear from them again until they checked-in.

Lived in peace thereafter.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Sue5 

Currently, there is no way to set and charge an early checkin fee which I think Airbnb have sadly overlooked.

I'd agree!

Unfortunately, out of about 20 requests for an early check-in (our normal check-in time is 4pm) only 1 has ever been early!

Sooo frustrating when you get everything ready early and no one turns up.

We decided not to accept early check-ins in the future for this reason, however, setting a fee might encourage guests to arrive early if they requested it.

@Ian0And Anne-Marie

Look!, you are PARTLY in this to make money.
If someone wants to give you money (eg for early check-in) then why say no?
Just charge a fair rate for it.

Mike & Helena

@Mike11 

We're playing the game. 

When guests have requested an early check-in we have obliged if we were able, of those requests only one has ever turned up early. Those other 19 appreciate that we gave them the opportunity for free, and in part must contribute to the reviews they give. Consequently you get Superhost, consequently you get higher in the listings, consequently you get more bookings, consequently you earn more money.

The way it is now we are in control of whether we want to provide an early check-in or not. If we have a large group booked previous then we wouldn't. If there was a fee a guest could pay for early check-in they might take that as a guaranteed option.

Perhaps having a strategy where if a guest enquires you simply respond with a pre-conceived plan of charging $XX per hour if it suited, then, that would certainly be a considered option.

I've read your later reply. I don't think 1/12 rate would be worth the effort on our part. Perhaps 1/2 rate would be beneficial? Up to 2 hours before check-in and maybe 6 hours after check-out? Checkout days in particular would see this fee charged I expect, especially for weekend bookers. Additionally, if guests were given the time before checkout perhaps they would be more thourough in tidying up before they leave?

Barbara1594
Level 1
Rochester, NY

Hello. I am in New York. My accommodations are next to a university, and I get a lot in university students or their parents as my guestS.  This has been graduation month, and all of my guests are asking for early check-in.  As I work full-time and I am a university student as well, I try to accommodate when I can.  The other day, I had a one night stay and they checked in at 8 AM but did not leave until 3 PM the next day.  Another was outside the door as I finished cleaning 3 hours before check-in time. When I have someone checking in  so early, I have to Either clean late at night  or early in the morning. When I’m rushed like this, I don’t feel like it’s the best experience for the guest.  After this weekend, I think  I will ask the guest to pay an additional day or extra if they are planning to overstay. Any hotel would do the same. Thoughts?

Had a similar issue with late & early.

I then started TELLING them (it transpired that it was not needed to charge them) that an extra rate (of 1/12th daily) was levied for late & early. They could however leave their luggage here at no charge.

I subsequetly had NO_ONE take me up on the 'extras', and did not lose anyone either. They simply made other plans.