In praise of my "Also a Host" guests

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

In praise of my "Also a Host" guests

I only seem to read negative experiences on the forum re hosting guests who are hosts themselves, so I thought I'd share my experience.

I recently hosted 4 guests in a row who were also hosts, which was a strange thing, as they are the first ones I've had in 3 years of hosting. I was a bit nervous, as I've read how much other hosts have said they dread these bookings.

All of them were lovely guests- no complaining, no unsolicited advice, expressed lots of appreciation, left their space clean and tidy, and left nice, 5* reviews.

Perhaps it helped that all were home-share hosts like me, but whatever the reason, I now will no longer worry when I see a booking request from another host.

31 Replies 31
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Helen350  Well, I'm glad you educated him, although I don't understand why your letting him know about the 4.7 thing before that seemed to go in one ear and out the other. Maybe he's just overworked and overtired.

Hosts should be required to read posts on this forum for like 2 weeks, for an hour every day before their listing goes live, then they wouldn't be so clueless. I actually found that some of my host/guests were also clueless about a lot of the Airbnb stuff we talked about during their stay, although they did end up leaving 5*s.

Honestly, when this pandemic winds down and things are back to normal, I think you should raise your prices a bit- 20 is way too cheap a deal for a room with a breakfast provided.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 I only educated him re the 4.7 etc  AFTER the 'bad' review.  Whilst he was here, I was maintaining social distancing, so not my usual chatty, informative self! Not the climate to sit him down for a lecture!..... More "Here's the room, there's the bathroom, kitchen, let yourself out, Bye!"

Re my prices, I'm aware I get bookings when none of my rivals do some weeks, & of course it's the less than 5* brigade that make me think, If I upped the price, more guests would rate lower.... And on occasions when all 3 rooms are let the same night, well income is good in total, but some guests would think they're getting a less good deal..... Some positively enjoy interaction with other guests, a larger number resent it.....  Was contemplating reducing my number of letting rooms to make things less hostel-like.... but since Covid 19 measures may last 6 months, I'll be piling them high come the Autumn to gain back revenue! 6 months! will the tourists be told to keep away for the duration?  (Rhetorical question!)