Long term booking cancelation and refund

Answered!
Tom-and-Amy0
Level 1
Sayulita, MX

Long term booking cancelation and refund

I took a long term booking for dates in March and then they wanted to cancel after the 48 hr window so Airbnb was holding their money and won't issue a refund directly (as I just learned that AIRBNB cancelation policy for long term bookings overrides our moderate booking policy).  The guest then sent me a request for refund  threw the resolution centre, which I paid out for the full amount less the service fees. Did I do this incorrectly? When/how will I get reimbursed? When I look at my upcoming transactions it said I am only to be paid the service fee amount 24 hrs after their scheduled check in time.  The guest has good ratings on AIRBNB and I do not think is dishonest but this doesn't seem right to me as I do not understand when/how we will get paid. And if we don't get paid until March then this seems like a very unfriendly host policy. We're essentially the ones left holding the bag here...

This is all new to me and I'm struggling to find relevant information on cancelation refund procedures for long term bookings. Any insight would be helpful and please no condescending comments, this has been challenging and I didn't love the last condescending partial answer I received in this discussion room...Thank you.

1 Best Answer
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Tom-and-Amy0 

Not being condescending, but never refund a guest until you've been paid.

Their are various scenarios in which you could loose your payout, although this sounds like another

computer glitch

You need to contact customer service and ask them to check it out.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245#M5...

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Tom-and-Amy0 

Not being condescending, but never refund a guest until you've been paid.

Their are various scenarios in which you could loose your payout, although this sounds like another

computer glitch

You need to contact customer service and ask them to check it out.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245#M5...

Mary3805
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi, I also have had a similar situation and the guest cancelled a long term booking. My cancellation policy is moderate so I assumed the guest would receive a full refund. Instead, Airbnb phoned me....yes 'phoned' me to tell me I was entitled to keep the deposit payment and that the guest would know that. The guest contacted me very upset and said that they were not aware that they would lose their deposit. I suggested to the guest that if I re-book all or part of the bookings (it was a three-month booking) I would refund them. I checked with Airbnb and they confirmed that would be okay. EXCEPT... when I received the deposit payout, I only received half. Airbnb kept the other 50% (over £3000). Im really upset about all this as I feel both me and the guest were misled so Airbnb could keep the money. When I complained, they didn't 'phone' me back. 

Anyone else aware of this practice?

Sandra1012
Level 1
Puerto Vallarta, MX

So if I want to refund fully I have to wait until after the 24 hour starting date of the original reservation and Airbnb puts  her money into my account to refund it? If I refund now and there’s no money in that account (because Airbnb hasn’t  paid me yet) I get charged?