Neighbor Issue and Unexpected host response

Lara-YaLun0
Level 2
Pomona, CA

Neighbor Issue and Unexpected host response

Hello, this is my very first time to post since becoming part of Air Bnb community. As a frequent guest, we’ve never encountered such horrible and scary experience. We booked for 3days 2 nights with 2 families and 2 toddlers in total. We knew it was an apartment suite and we abide with the quiet hour from 10pm-8am. However, this morning when kids were just playing and running around the place, downstair neighbor start banging their ceiling (our floor) really hard and loud. It lasted for about a min., we were in shock and didn’t think too much of it.  Around noon time, we accidentally knocked over the kitchen stool, and after few min. , we hear the banging again, this time it lasted for quite a bit that our kids got frightened by the noise. 

Immediately we inform our host telling exactly what I just described and share that our kids were frightened. 
Shockingly, the host replied that we were “playing victims” and saying we should abide by the rules and ALSO need to be quiet even if it’s not quite hours. 
So here’s my question, is this normal that we’d need to stay “quite” during the bright day time? We have toddlers/kids at 4&5years old, it is really difficult to keep on telling them to be quite and stop running, even during the day time… 

Kindly appreciate any feedback! 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Lara-YaLun0 I don't think our children ever knocked over a kitchen stool. Also we wouldn't have let them run around knowing people were living below. I think you can guess where I am going here - If you want to behave antisocially book a place with no immediate neighbours.

I’m guessing you are an airbnb host? Please do enlighten me how to tell 4 years old boys not to runaround and jump around beside keeping a TV on the whole time. Also, I’m not saying we knocked over the stool constantly, it was knocked over by ACCIDENT once only. Also what is anti-social has to do with anything? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Lara-YaLun0 

The relevance of hosting is.....irrelevant. What we are talking about here is being a decent neighbour and respecting the rights of others to a peaceable existence.

Not sure why the gender of the children matters but if they need to burn off energy then take them outside and get some exercise. There are plenty of parks and open spaces where children can let off steam and disturb no one.

Indeed , you would want to respect your guest as a host. And coming from a guest perspective , we respect all the rules provided but there is misfortune situation that you cannot expect from toddlers including they would just knock over items on the floor and/or hop around despite we already tell them to stop like every 5min. But I’m guessing you wouldn’t understand  having a toddler around. Gender is not the topic of interest here as I am just trying to explain my situation. Plus, we do bring our kids out practically the whole day to burn off energy.