Neighbors put signs in their yard, what to do?!

Neighbors put signs in their yard, what to do?!

We have been hosts since February 1st.  Never had any complaints, no messy guests, no trash out, most fly in, so two vehicles at the most at all times, we have a garage and driveway, so no parking in front of neighbors.  We spoke to one neighbor the other day, they had no idea that the house was even an Airbnb because it’s always so quiet they said. We have had issues with one neighbor parking in front of our property.  We have asked him twice to please not block the walkway to the front door.  Only issue worth mentioning. 

Well, we get a message from our current guest today about signs in neighbors yards.  Two different neighbors saying, “we say no to Vrbo”.

The guests reached out asking if this is normal?  I didn’t even know what to say?  I mean, we pay our taxes monthly, do everything right, just so unfortunate.  

Anyone else dealt with this?  If so, advice please🙏

17 Replies 17

Is there a current issue in your city government where rules about short-term leases will be voted on, @Amy1989 ?  I mean, who makes 2 signs  like this - it sounds like a political issue.  That being said, your city probably has a rule about signs in the yard - look into it.  You are going to have to navigate this issue very carefully - this can get contentious. My first reaction would be to have a sit-down with the neighbors and find out what their real beef is with the STL on their block. 

It’s has been talked about in Dallas.  We are RIGHT outside of dallas.  Apparently when you register with the city to have short term rentals, the city notifies the neighbors.  The neighbor across the street is very political.  Has huge flagpole with his Biden flag.  
the neighbor next door has both of her signs as close to our yard as possible.  
I’m guessing I will have to talk to them, and check with the city.  Doesn’t seem right that they can hurt our property because they feel like it.  I could see if there has been issues or concerns with it.

@Amy1989  I am right near you! I am also a new host as well but my listing is two hours away. I would say you absolutely need to talk to the neighbors about why they are upset. As you know, Airbnb in residential areas around Dallas is a really big topic right now, so they are probably just jumping on the bandwagon without an actual complaint. We had an incident (party) at our listing a couple weeks ago and I personally drove out to the property so I could make sure they understood I was serious I was about their enjoyment of their home and what I could do to make them feel more comfortable. For context, we have owned our home for three years before listing it so we did already know the neighbors and had told them ahead of time we were renting it out.

It doesn’t seem right that people live in a neighborhood and don’t feel safe in their own home because of the revolving door right next to them!

100% but hosts don’t care about community. It’s all about greed and $ 

Nothing to do

with being “political”. It has everything to do with not wanting to live next to a motel

with a bunch of strangers coming in and out. These Airbnb’s are ruining family communities for the most part. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

"say no to VRBO" is a Facebook group... just saying...

@Branka-and-Silvia0 the "say no to vrbo" thing is about booking directly and avoiding vrbo service fees, I think. But that's obviously not what's going on here.  I agree with @Alice-and-Jeff0 -- figure out whether there is an anti-STR campaign happening in your city (or HOA if that applies) and then try to have a friendly conversation with your neighbors. You definitely want the neighbors to be on your side and it sounds like that's in jeopardy-- at minimum-- here.

(Not sure about your locality but I think in most places you can't dictate where people park on the street if they are not blocking a driveway?)

Summer64
Level 7
Lewisville, TX

I'm a host but also stay in Airbnb's. If I even noticed the neighbor's sign...I'd just shrug and toss it up to their opinion. I don't think it would bother me while I was staying at someone's home. I also am practical enough to understand that we don't control the signs our neighbors have in their yards. I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I don't think we're obligated to tell our neighbors we host, so I wouldn't. I have asked neighbors to move their car before from in front of my house before, telling them I had people coming over. I didn't specify who or why.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

We had guests object to political signs in yards during the election (both sides.) We have had guests complain about  seeing Confederate flags on their drive to our space. We have had people who didn't like that the neighbors across the street have a somewhat unkempt house as they have 4 kids and lots of toys on the lawn.

You can't control anything that is outside of your space. I would not say anything unless the guest indicates that they felt unwelcome. Then I would apologize that they were uncomfortable. STRs are a hot issue in many cities and people have the freedom to express their views. Other than stealing the signs in the middle of the night I am not sure what other recourse you have. (Please don't steal the signs in the middle of the night....)

How funny that a “guest”  would even think to voice concerns about a political yard sign or flag when they are just passing by. Truly laughable. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I believe the point of your post is how to interpret the sudden lawn signs.  Right?  I would assume the signs are indicative of a neighborhood sentiment related to the allowance of short term rentals in your area. It may not be directed at you in particular, but to the idea that a neighborhood that probably does not allow businesses does allow the business of short term rentals.

In my area of southern California, USA, there is a growing and more organized anti STR movement as promoted with signs that read, "Neigborhoods are for neighbors. Not for short term rentals."  Perhaps your city has had discussions about STR in your area and you could look up any archived meeting minutes or regulations about STR.  To avoid a severe backlash that could lead to a community referendum against allowing STR, cities are considering more and more restrictions, especially for entire homes with remote hosts.  Good luck in your area.

@Linda108  has a valid point. Depending on your local regulations you may need to jump through some hoops to get permitted and legal, if you have not already. For example: We went through a complicated process including public hearings to get legal. Inspections happened, as agencies had to sign off on neighborhood impact, zoning, parking, access roads, plumbing, water, public safety/fire safety, as well as the blueprints/plans for the building and the permits. In addition to the 10 fat presentation packets we spent $5000 in application fees and fees to the inspectors from the various agencies. We agreed, in writing, to many provisions around impact and safety concerns, including the requirement to have business insurance, and our availability 24/7 while guests are on the property. We collect, document and pay Transient Occupancy Tax on a quarterly  basis. Your neighborhood, like any other, may decide to protest your running a transient occupancy business in a residential neighborhood. This could be based on zoning and various potential impacts. @Linda108 wisely suggests doing thorough homework in your local government offices, to see what precedents  may exist.  Best of luck to you!

Airbnbs are ruining neighborhoods and they are a nuisance. I have one next door and I have signs and call the cops whenever there is an issue. The only people who like airbnbs are the greedy hosts/owners and the entitled guests. I am happy the guests next door feel unwelcome in our neighborhood, because they are. You have zero right to complain about your neighbors signs.