No to the new no guest photo policy

No to the new no guest photo policy

Hello fellow Hosts-

I have noticed Airbnb's policies increasingly moving towards guest's needs, and further away from the needs of hosts, especially hosts who prefer the security of personally screening people they invite into their home, verses hosts with Instant Book, who do not have as big a concern with safety. I have let many other changes go, but I feel that their newest no guest photo policy hits a new low, and for me, is totally unacceptable.

My home is not a public hotel. If guests do not want to show their faces and want to remain anonymous, they should stay in a hotel- there are plenty of those. Airbnb is supposed to offer a more personal alternative, where hosts as well as guests benefit mutually from honesty and trust. To cultivate this trust, there needs to be transparency on BOTH sides, and blocking photos does not inspire trust!

As hosts, we are extremely vulnerable- guests see our photo, photos of our homes, our neighborhood location, see our star ratings, reviews, and our cancellation history, yet as (non-instant book) hosts, we are not able to access any of these same basic qualities. I am not racist in any way, I accept all nationalities, from all over the world, but I am extremely concerned with personal safety. Airbnb has just removed one of the most important tools that I am able to use to help my intuition determine who I am willing to allow into my home.

I understand that Airbnb wants to be politically correct by encouraging non-discrimination. That is noble of them, but please do not do it at our expense. Do not deny hosts of this important basic tool. And not viewing a photo will not end discrimination! It just will make hosts more cautious and more discriminating, forcing us to base a decision whether to allow strangers into our homes even more narrowly- on the sex, for example, or a name, writing style, living location, or an unjust bad review. In my experience, there already is not enough information about most guests (especially if they have not completed a profile or do not have any reviews), but more often than not, a smiling face of their profile photo is enough to go ahead and trust that stranger. Now, without the thousand words a photo can convey, I will always decline a reservation if the person's communication lacks information that I ask for, has misspellings, or is otherwise less than ideal. We have that right as a host to decline any reservation, Airbnb's host rules makes that clear. Why remove an important tool that allows for more trust?! A trust that benefits guests as well, as they will be more likely to be accepted for a reservation request. Why punish all hosts, when going after the few specific hosts with a history of discrimination, would be much, much more appropriate?

And lastly, Airbnb's solution does not resolve the problem of racism in a fair way. Discrimination is a human flaw that does not just affect hosts- guests are just as able to discriminate against hosts! If implementing this new policy is a true effort to combat racism, Airbnb is actually discriminating against hosts by not imposing this same standard equally to all of us, hosts and guests alike!

I am a Superhost who has enjoyed the benefits of listing my guest room on Airbnb for many years, but by taking away this most basic and important tool, I am considering for the first time, the possibility of going with another rental option if this decision is not reversed. I wrote a lengthy letter in protest, submitted in the feedback section, and intend to send it daily until the new policy is reversed or imposed fairly to all. I told them that if they do not want to lose their hosts, that they should put an end to this ridiculous no guest photo policy, and restore full disclosure between both guests and hosts, which has brought great success to their platform- thus far. I encourage all who dislike this new policy to send their feedback as well!

164 Replies 164
Ryan111
Level 6
New York, NY

I think this policy is terrible and now they killed the access that incognito mode gave and also it seems AirReview isn't working for me.  

Di54
Level 3
Cape Town, ZA

Well said, Enrico!

I completely agree with all the points you raise above and whole-heartedly share your view on our fundamental Right to Choose who we let into our own homes. 

In order to do so, we have every right to see who we are dealing with before accepting a booking. 

This new rule is unreasonable and ill conceived. Alledgedly implemented to prevent "discrimination", the only benefit is increased protection in favor of the Guest at the expense of increasingly dimishing the protection of the Host, increasingly disregarding and disadvantaging the Host with Rules / Penalties that only are applied to Hosts and waivered for Guests, diminishing and disregarding the Rights and Freedom of Choice of the Host.

Airbnb seems to have forgotten that Hosts are the mainstay of their business. No Hosts...No Business. 

I hope those of us who are becoming disillusioned with Airbnb's direction all write in and complain about this new rule...and any other grievance they have.

It's the least we can do. Maybe they will hear us???

Yes we all should write airbnb and complain about this new rule!!!!!!!!!!!

No, just no. If you really want to see justice from Airbnb and companies like them, complaining internally won't get much done. They just don't care about anything but the money.

I highly recommend you complain to the justice department.

Irina47
Level 6
Portland, OR

Airbnb wants profits, and more approvals from hosts is profitable for them. Their facade of “non-discrimination” is actually just a smarter way for them to make sure more reservations are made. They are by no means taking a moral high ground by making these policies and they clearly don’t care about screwing over their hosts in the process. I think most superhosts feel like they are an employee of Airbnb, a team member, so to see them continue to make dumb policies that limit hosts is frustrating and my loyalty as a two year superhost is fading!

I wholeheartedly agree and feel exactly the same way.

No Hosts = No Business. 

Airbnb’s shortsightedness in diminishing the rights of hosts is potentially going to hurt them where it matters most - in the pockets!! - sooner rather later. 

Hosts are getting increasingly frustrated and disillusioned at the lack of support and protection that is eroding their willingness to open their homes anymore. 

Regards

Di

Anna306
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

You are absolutaly right and I won't be willing to accept this policy! I guess that in the future I won't accept any further guest without having seen a picture of him - I have already started. For all the money in the world  I am not willing to let a person in my privacy whose face I don't like!!! We all should join!! Maybe we can change this stupid new policy. What do you think????

Rebecca56
Level 2
Fairbanks, AK

They have made it clear that if we request a photo then cancel, they have a team, 

( of lawyers) ready to pounce on a discrimination lawsuit. I guess they figured they could make more money suing host’s than by just getting the regular fee for service.

I usually get the “guests” calling me and asking me to book outside of Airbnb. I never do because I feel protected by Airbnb. 

This “new” policy changes everything. Now I feel like a must protect myself

from the Lawyers at Airbnb. 

I have loved this platform and it has been the only one I use. I have now listed on other sites and will weigh my options as they arise. 

I will not change my listing that requires a photo, that is just setting yourself up for a potential law suit. I will just ask the guest so many questions we will be like family before I accept the request. 

I have excellent reviews and have had awesome guests. I plan to keep it that way. 

Superhost all the way.

i have had guests say they didn’t even read my listing but booked because I look happy and friendly in my profile picture. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words. 

Kevin940
Level 10
Quinns Rocks, Australia

Rebecca, I had a request from, apparently, two young girls in Taiwan who wrote perfect English, when asked for a photo and a little about themselves, they gave two versions,  1. They were coming to Australia to go travelling 2. They were coming to Australia for a year to work.  They wanted to stay in my house for the whole year!  They then suddenly said they don't speak English?? and didn't make any further contact and I declined them.  Gut feeling told me it was not quite right.

I do not support this new policy.  I have a right to see and hear from people who will be staying in my home with me here, sometimes on my own for long stretches.

Trevor26
Level 7
Big Bend National Park, TX

I can see everyone's faces on this thread, so you must all be hosts 🙂  A lot of super hosts here too so we're obviously doing things right and deserve more trust from Airbnb. 

Airbnb made this move to censor profile photos I am guessing in reaction to negative press about isolated incidents of discrimination on their site. But I agree that it is a terrible move to reprimand all hosts based on the actions of a few, by taking away tools and privileges that guests brand new to this community get access to but we now don't. What's next...we have to wear blindfolds in our homes when hosting so that we aren't tempted to discriminate? Where is this line drawn?

Besides, in the isolated incidents of discrimation, it is best to have that hashed out in the booking process rather than in the middle of a stay. When I am a guest, I want the host to have my full picture and story, and I would like to know if that host has an issue with any of it in order to avoid a toxic and maybe dangerous situation. As a host, it is always the hope for me that my listing and my home is attractive to the most diverse community possible. I have the following proclamation on my listing...

"I subscribe to Airbnb's Community Commitment and nondiscrimination policy which states... " We believe that no matter who you are, where you are from, or where you travel, you should be able to belong in the Airbnb community. By joining this community, you commit to treat all fellow members of this community, regardless of race, religion, national origin, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age, with respect, and without judgment or bias.""

I feel that trust has been stripped from those of us who have proven ourselves time and time again. This move is the wrong way to deal with discrimination. I'd argue that it promotes discrimination and puts that elephant in the middle of the room. 

Airbnb, please go back to the open and transparent community that you once were and start trusting us hosts again. We own all of your assets. 

Thanks to all the wonderful hosts who have chimed into this conversation. 

"Please go back to the open and transparent community " 

AirBnB operates under the premise that NONE of us ever had a mother who taught us to treat everyone as we ourselves wanted to be treated. 

Marcia64
Level 3
Nacogdoches, TX

I am ready to quit listing on ABB...I own the house.  I want at least a look at who is renting it and their entire name so that I can ck them out on social media.  My homes are full of expenisve art and antique rugs and furnishings....I do believe that I shouls be the one to make the decision on who I let in to MY home...I think this is coming to an end..  Better results with VRBO actually...

Kevin940
Level 10
Quinns Rocks, Australia

Having read all the comments here I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that ABB has had it's day.  I'm new to ABB but I have today registered with a couple of other sites and will, more indepth, into alternative ways of advertising my property.  The new policies that ABB bring out smacks of bully boy tactics and agressive sales, it is not for me.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Lizzie and I am the Community Manager here. I've been reading all the comments shared here in the Community Center. Thanks for raising these really important topics. 

There are two points I want to clarify:

1.  Hosts can, in fact, request to see a photo of their guests before they arrive, as soon as the booking is confirmed. Here’s information on how to do that.

2.  And if the photo isn't real (e.g. if it’s a picture of a rose or a clown), you have the option to cancel without penalty by calling Airbnb’s Community Support. (We’d also recommend messaging the guest directly before cancelling.)

Also, if you're a host using Instant Book you can always require your guests to complete Airbnb’s verified ID process. (Many guests have completed verified ID already.)

I know this doesn't address all of the topics in this thread, but I wanted to be sure these options are clear for you. The Airbnb team is taking your feedback really seriously, and we’ll be sure to keep you updated on this topic.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.