Possible Scam

Possible Scam

Hi everyone,

I've been hosting for less than a year and recently encountered a situation that seemed like an attempted scam. Here's what happened:

A large family rented our place for a wedding. Four days into their stay, we received an early morning call on Saturday saying there was no water in the house. Fortunately, I was in town and, being fairly handy, I went over immediately with a few possible explanations in mind.

Upon arrival, the problem was glaringly obvious: the main water valve was closed. There's no way this could have happened by accident.

I suspect the guests shut off the valve hoping we would have to call a plumber at 6 a.m. on a Saturday. The plumber likely wouldn't have arrived until much later, if at all that day, and they could claim their wedding day was ruined and demand a full refund.

Thankfully, I fixed the issue within 30 minutes of receiving the call, and there were no further problems.

Has anyone else experienced scams like this?

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jason2585 Whatever you do don't mention the wedding. Airbnb doesn't allow parties of any kind and if it finds out will likely suspend your listing.

My bad- That was poorly worded. The wedding guest we staying at our place- The venue was in town