Rental Agreement

Deborah28
Level 1
Maumee, OH

Rental Agreement

I am a new host to Airbnb.  I have my first contact interested in renting.  I don't see where I attach my Rental Agreement for them to execute.  I don't see a place to do so.  Deborah

78 Replies 78

That is what I am wondering. My liability insurance company is now requiring a legal rental agreement and I don't know how to get that done within the platform. I don't like to go outside of the platform but i can't find a way to do it within AirBnb. I hope they figure out a solution quickly.

VRBO encourages it. It says it pretty well. Not hidden or hide to find.

Yes, Vrbo allows and encourages it. There is a link for attachments when emailing with guests.

I have been hit by crazy rental agreements from hosts after the fact with threats to cancel if they are not agreed to without changes. For instance, agreeing that they can do construction on the apartment while we are staying in it.  If this is the case, this needs to be communicated in the rental description. It's egregious.

I am a new host to Airbnb. Recently I had a guest staying at my place for a period of 2 months. After the contract ends he claimed that he is being charged too much rm airbnb. He said that we failed to notify him that he was not aware he is being charged 6-12% by airbnb. Please advise me on this matter.

And this is a perfect example of why you don’t do separate rental agreements. All costs are disclosed on Airbnb. He should have seen all the fees when he signed up through that site. It shows the renter their total cost, not what you as a host receive. If you say differently, eliminating the fees by mistake, then you, as the host, should be responsible for absorbing the fees yourself. Keep it clean and simple and then nothing gets lost in translation and you have a happy guest and host. 

There needs to be a place to put your indemnification clause and your arbitration clauses. Believe me you do not want to rent to anyone without those.

@Karen430 Have you found a way to do this on Airbnb?  I agree this is critical but can't find a way to do it!

@Jessica2021

I suggest cutting and pasting the text into the communications area. They can print, sign and return it to you.

As a guest, I have recommended on several occasions to AirBnB that rental agreements be made available with the listing (not something to be requested by messaging a host).

At a minimum, it would be helpful to filter listings based upon whether additional rental agreements will be needed. This seems like an incredible easy fix.

As stated by others, it is unfair to ask guests to agree to different, sometimes conflicting, contractual terms after booking. It is also frustrating to be surprised by additional demands for completing a reservations after booking.

These surprises diminish the fidelity of the information on AirBnB, which is central to the service it provides.

Gisela38
Level 1
Woodstock, NY

Where do you attach agreement to send to renter?

You don't. AirBnB won't release contact info until the renter has paid in full.  Once they release contact info, you can email it to them directly.  

@Laura_R in San Diego,

Do we send agreements to the 'generic' email address that Airbnb provides for the guest. (xxxxx@guest.airbnb.com)? That is the only email address I see for the guest.

Thank you.

Serena122
Level 2
San Anselmo, CA

I just switched in sureance from State Farm to Proper Insureance- so much more expensive but they are the only ones who would cover short term rentals aside from CBIZ. They sent an email requesting the following:

1. Please confirm a rental agreement is in place now & signed electronically or manually each time the house is rented.

I have no idea how to meet this requirement on airbnb. Does anyone know? This should be more semless since Proper Insurance is the company that Airbnb promotes for insurance coverage.

Thanks,

Serena

I'm in the same boat.  Very problematic.  AirBnB does not allow hosts to attach documents.  They don't release contact info until the renter has paid in full, and by then it is too late to get a signed rental agreement, as there is already a contract (through AirBnB.)  

This is a big issue with AirBnB