Service Animal help

Kaela82
Level 3
Denver, CO

Service Animal help

I just had a guest send an inquiry and stated she has a service animal. She asked if it was OK to bring the dog. I haven't replied quite yet because I don't want to get in trouble with airbnb for denying her request. The owner of the home is allergic to dogs. I am the property manager and I want to make sure the owners health isn't at risk. When I called, Airbnb told me there was an option to say "no service pets" however on the site it says I can "qualify for an exemption", I also didn't see that option he told me about. Does anyone know how I can go about doing this or is it even a thing with Airbnb? I was reading past horror stories of this same situation and I am hoping it has been updated with Airbnb's policies. 

16 Replies 16
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Kaela82 

It looks like according to the rules you have to contact Airbnb Support first and apply for a particular exemption.  Allergic to dogs is a qualified health risk but if I have a service horse doesn't count sorry it looks like you have to ask for the exemption each time.  What might help in the  future just saying owner allergic to dogs in general  Most people that have a service animal know allergy is considered a health risk.

A Host may qualify for an exemption in certain circumstances — for instance, if the service animal directly threatens their health or safety.

Janet1536
Level 2
Joplin, MO

I’m sure the guest will understand a no if you offer an apology with explaination that owner has a serious allergy to dogs.

@Janet1536  @Kaela82 

You have to be careful because you don't know this person.  If you discuss the owners private medical informatizan then you have no control of what the stranger does with the info you gave them and they accuse you of making them feel that theirs is in question.  Just because  Airbnb platform is no guarantee who you are  talking to.   Contact Airbnb get the exemption and don;t mention service animals in your description just dog allergy

Norma-And-Patrick0
Level 2
Maryland, United States

I always ask for proof of the certification of the service dog from the approved authority in your country. You can get a "certification" on the Internet that is meaningless. So far no one has followed through with the reservation confirming my suspicion it was a fake. In your situation I would pursue whatever process Airbnb has for an exemption. I have dogs here and don't allow pets because I had guests that didn't care for them and there really wasn't much I couldn't do about it. I do have dogs that are considered hyper allergic because my children are all asthmatic. I really hate the new rule that you can't have cameras in shared areas because I recently had a guest abuse one of my dogs which was witnessed by another guest. 

@Norma-And-Patrick0 

Depending on where the owner of the service area resides determines if that location has certification of service  animals, my experience in Hawaii and Arizona there is no recognized certification.  I have a handicap parking placard from Arizona, I can travel to any state and use it.  No one can ask me to prove I need it except police if I was doing something abusive.  I know many people abuse the Service Animal title but you have to be very careful because many disabled people don't.  In Hawaii it is still a problem on the public bus, since there is no  state certification anyone  legally can get on the bus with their dog and just state my service animal and the bus driver can not question them.   Airbnb policies  are  very clear  on the Federal Guidelines are for a   Servicie Animal.  Before I accept a  Service  Animal I just cut and paste their  verbiage of what  I  am expecting  of a Service Animal.  I take full advantage because I am   sure lawyers  have reviewed.

Only dogs are service animals and you can ask 1-is the service dog required because of a disability and 2-what task does the dog perform for the person. Support and comfort is not covered for accommodations only airlines. See ada.gov

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

You are not allowed to ask for certification. Ifa guest complains Airbnb may suspend your listing @Norma-And-Patrick0 

Shirley26
Level 10
Madison, WI

Here's what I have on my website under "Additional Notes"

Due to my allergies and dander from pets along with the safety concern for guests, animals of any kind are not allowed. As one may know pet allergens spread throughout a home because they are very lightweight and easily stick to things like clothing and shoes.

You should not offer accommodation to the public if this is the case! 

Example:  Restaurants are public.  Yes?  No?  Is smoking allowed?

Paul11158
Level 2
Overland Park, KS

The animal is a service animal(dog). The dog is granted all access by the Americans with Disabilities Act and it is a crime to deny access. If the host does not want Service Animals, they must not offer access to other members of the public. 

I have a Service Dog to help me manage my disability, not to bring along a pet. 

It is a Federal Crime to claim an animal is a service dog. It is a crime to deny access to a real service dog. I suggest the host consult with a lawyer who can explain the ADA Act. 

@Paul11158 

Just to clarify one point an animal allergy is considered to be a serious health risk because allergic reactions can cause significant medical harm.

Refusing a Service Animal  because medical harm may happen is legal.  The ADA laws do not allow me to harm anyone in a way that someone who is able bodied person can not do.

With such a serious allergy problem, you should reconsider offering your facility to the public. 

What if one of your guests brings unanticipated allergens into your facility, certainly not maliciously, but very dangerous to you notwithstanding! 

Our animals help us live a more complete life (much like a paraplegic's wheelchair). If they are that dangerous to you, you should take care in offering your place to the public. The ADA Law says if you offer it to the public, you must allow us to take you up on your offer. The DOJ will sort it out if you don't want to accommodate the disabled. 

@Paul11158 

@Kaela82 

It is actually deserving of the same respect has your medical need of a Service Animal doesn't give you rights that she doesn't deserve.  If you were a Host people with allergies would not be able to rent your property, does not mean you can't be a Host.  Maybe the correct answer is Airbnb put an allergy field.  This would not only assist in allergies to animals but also the fragrance allergies being discussed.