Smoking guest at non-smoking property

Answered!
Nicole2223
Level 7
Gouldsboro, ME

Smoking guest at non-smoking property

Hello,

Seeking advice for an situation with a current guest.  

Background:

1. In addition to ticking the 'no smoking' box that AirBnB provides, I add the following to my  house rules:  "No Smoking or use of tobacco in any form inside or out, anywhere on the 

2. Although the guest is required to acknowledge the house rules upon booking, I send the complete text of the house rules in a message to them after booking and ask them to review and respond to acknowledge understanding and agreement.

3. The no smoking rule is repeated in the printed house manual and house rules state they must read the manual.

To the. message asking them to acknowledge the rules, my current guest replied:   "we totally agree with the house rules".  They checked in yesterday and tonight our doorbell cam picked up one of them smoking.  (The smoker in the video actually looks nothing like the guests I checked in - but that could be the night mode or just an entirely separate issue).  Either way the no smoking rule was broken.

I know he stubbed out the cigarette in the snow...and perhaps there's evidence of that (although he appears to be covering it with snow in the video).  

I've never had this happen (to my knowledge).  I have no smoking deposit as we expect to not have smokers.  I've read a lot of posts here in the community center and a bunch of other online articles.  I cannot find any specific advice re: how to handle this IN THE MOMENT.  I see great recommendations for how to cancel a reservation before arrival or how to claim damage and get reimbursed for cleaning.  But my situation is that they are smoking NOW and I don't want them to continue to smoke.  

Before I confront them (which I won't do until morning as it's late here), I'd like to know what the next logical step would be.  What can I realistically expect?  They're already here....and they're not going to quit smoking cold turkey....so obviously they're going to continue to smoke.  As an aside, I also know they've already disregarded and disrespected some other 'ideals' that we communicate through our house manual....but that's not uncommon.  The smoking is an obvious violation.

Appreciate any guidance.  

1 Best Answer
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 @Anonymous @Nicole2223 

The reason some hosts, quite reasonably don't want guests to smoke, even down the bottom of an extremely long garden is because smokers excrete residue through every pore!

Personally I put up with this and DO allow smoking outside only, not inside. But I fully understand those who don't! 

A former home share host near me had an exquisite house, with superlative reviews, about how lovely both he & the house were. He was extremely anti-smoking, as probably only an ex-palliative care nurse can be! His listing description was very explicit that he did not host smokers because of what they excrete & exude through their pores into the bedding. One of his final reviews was an exchange re a honeymoon couple he'd refused to allow in on arrival for breaking house rules before they'd even entered the home! Whether this was arriving at 2 am or smelling of tobacco, we'll never know! - Perhaps that's why he no longer hosts?!

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17

... And I didn't even THINK about the cleanup... They can make our small ranch look like a Walmart parking lot in a hurry!

Our farm and ranch insurance strictly prohibits smoking ANYWHERE on the properties they insure (unless you pay their higher premium so YOU can smoke).

We are in a rural area with hay to feed our stock, NO fire hydrants, and with the string of droughts we've been subjected to, drawing water from your neighbor's tank is usually not an option (only the water the FD can bring in on their truck).

We even have to pay EXTRA for having an Airbnb on property (probably because they have data relating to "unexpected" smokers' stays).

Once the "smoking" habit is discovered, the reservation is declined or filtered out. Maintaining farm and ranch insurance is hard enough, without people endangering our livestock and property.

Mark4752
Level 4
Maryport, United Kingdom

As a non-smoker I don't want the smell anywhere near my house.

If you smoke don't stay at a home which is clearly non-smoking.

I came to this thread having detected the smell of smoke in the bathroom and bedroom; the guy opened the windows to smoke through and thought that was OK.

Rather than confront him whilst he is still here, I installed two new smoke detectors above the windows he was smoking out of. No smell of smoke so far.

I'm expecting a low star rating from him when he leaves as he's been told about the smoke alarms and has been banging around for the last two hours.