Subletters

Peter3432
Level 2
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Subletters

I get these requests for info from prospective guests who give their name as "Cc" or something equally unbelievable. 

They write a sentence of few words asking for some basic info already in the listing, like "what floor?".

They've just joined and have no reviews.

I have no info on them from Airbnb, no passport, no photo, no address, no phone and as I say, no history.

I ask them "who is the apartment for?" and they reply by saying "two people", for example. I ask for a passport scan because they need it for the property manager who has to register them and Immigration so that I can prepare any forms for them, but they don't respond.

They say it's for family, then they say it's for their colleagues, then I delicately approach the subject of subletting and then they tell me that it's not for them at all, but for their uncle who'll pay, or whoever.

By the time we get to the last paragraph - if we get there - it's obvious that they are planning to sublet to other airbnb'ers, but what a waste of time for me!

Why can't Airbnb provide basic information, or better still weed these people out from the start so that I am not bothered ... I am very busy already!!??

I've been a member since 2017 and find the data from Airbnb has deteriorated and that I am less favourably treated than before, I feel pushed around but they are my agent and it's my apartment and my business! And there is more work, forms, rules, processes.

This is my first post to this community and I'd be grateful to hear from anyone with any ideas or similar experiences. Especially how to minimise communication from these scammers.

Thank you so much,

Lin

1 Reply 1
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Peter3432  "Why can't Airbnb provide basic information, or better still weed these people out from the start so that I am not bothered ... I am very busy already!!??"

So are they, and they can't anticipate intent. The world has gotten a bit more complicated in the last few years, we feel the change also.