Tip of the Week 4: Responding to reviews

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Tip of the Week 4: Responding to reviews

As we hit the one-month mark of our Tip of the Week series, I'm delighted to share week 4's tip on responding to reviews 

The following tip was shared by @Dave-and-Deb0 on a topic where he has shared how responding to reviews could have positive benefits for your listing 🔎

"Responding to reviews can help your listing placement in the search results". 

On this thread, we invite you to share your valuable tips on responding to reviews! 

We’re super excited to hear and learn from you all. Let's gather the best tips for responding to reviews, and don’t forget to give a thumbs up👍 to the best tips shared. 😊

👉 TOTW series

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

14 Replies 14
Patricia2526
Level 10
Manila, Philippines

Hello @Sybe , when responding to a bad review I always maintain a professional and courteous tone in my responses, even if the review is unfair or inaccurate. Responses should reflect our commitment to excellent customer service and willingness to address and resolve any issues. I use the reviews as an opportunity to learn from the feedback and improve our service, make changes or improvements to prevent similar issues in the future.

"I use the reviews as an opportunity to learn from the feedback and improve our service, make changes or improvements to prevent similar issues in the future."

I don't think this is an appropriate response to a host who has experienced such a destructive guest.

I've been a host for over 10 years and am becoming more and more dissatisfied with the way 'customer service' is increasingly encouraging poor guest behaviour with your lack of support for those of us who share our homes with strangers.

Just had my 3rd guest, and they to violated our home. They not only brought in an additional pet without paying OR asking, we had to remove our ottoman due to it having paw prints all over it. Also upon entering our home the smell of marijuana was so strong, and my listing clearly stated no drugs in home or illegal substance. They complained about cameras, which again clearly stated in listing and in their own review they state they didnt read but yet I got notified from airbnb about possible suspension. I went ahead contacted airbnb about this matter, they are now "researching" but I dont forsee any real help coming from this and so my husband and I have decided to put house on market.

h

a

Hi @Rachella0 

I love your response . I too have been a Host since 2013.  Although I go above and beyond to make sure my house is lovely  impeccably Clean ect. Just because I enjoy doing this.  I usually have 5 star reviews.

I have had two absolutely horrible guests and the were quite professional at this. Without going into details Customer service said thy would have my back. I gave an honest polite review. And WOW the retaliation went over the top. Sadly Airbnb" never had my back and never took down the reviews."

But a as a  friend said anyone who would see all 5 star reviews and only 2 reviews with 2 stars, would hopefully see them as outliers . So far I still get wonderful guests . so in the end . Just know you are on your own. and these few bad eggs will continue on .

Jessica3282
Level 3
Hernando, FL

My first guests were not pleasant. They disregarded house rules, left doors open to the outside, destroyed decorations, would not respond to messages, would not respond to airbnb customer service and ruined my cooktop with burnt food. I had to file for reimbursement and I wrote my honest review, well of course the horrible guest responds and writes a negative review with lies. I had video evidence, pictures and messages via airbnb and yet this guest was allowed to leave the review. Airbnb has stated this guest has been "flagged", so what does that mean? Is this guest still able to book and destroy another hosts' home and get away with it bc if a host dare write a honest review this guest will write a lie filled review and then send threats of a frivolous lawsuit. I am new as a host but it is still my home and NO one has the right to disrespect my home and I won't be in afraid to write a review in fear of retaliation by a bad guest. I've read other host state just count your losses and don't write a review, why, so a new host can get the bad egg and have property destroyed and left dirty? This keep your mouth shut trend now days, I don't follow, you want the truth, I'll give you the truth, good or bad. If you misunderstood the listing then COMMUNICATE right away don't damage property. Yes, I know this may come off harsh to those who are emotionally fragile but not notifying other hosts of a potential problem is NOT ethical or something I want happening to me, AGAIN.

The same thing happened to me two years ago. A guest smoked in my home and left it nasty with tons of trash. They were able to leave a nasty review as well. I was beyond pissed because I did my best to accommodate them. I’m thankful I have way more positive reviews than bad apples. 

I am thankful for the negative reviews  when hosts provide them and do take heed when I see them. But honestly, I know it’s too easy for people to create a new profile so that their negative history does not follow them. With that in mind, I think it is best to file the complaint and get things repaired and replaced. 

In addition, if I have any doubt about a guest and their ability to maintain a clean home, I send cleaners in so they can clean and let me know the current status of the house.

Hope this helps.

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Fingers crossed, i have never received a negative review yet, but i always attempt to give an honest review depending on what happens or how the guest behaved. There was a guest, i had to ask them to leave a week before they were meant to check out, via the customer services, as they didn't follow my house rules , no respect for my home, even though, i am a live -in host. I gave them a negative review, but i think they just decided not to leave any for me. Their previous review was a 5 star, but i didn't get phased by that, i was professional and honest about it, so my advise to all host is to write an honest review to help other host

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Abi010 

We also have never received a truly scathing review, although we have had guests who would have done so if we had confronted them with their violations of house rules, leaving the place in a mess, or minor damages. 

What we've found is that unsavoury guests know very well that they've broken rules or left the place in a bad condition or caused minor damage, but if they are sent off with a smile and a thank you, they think they've "gotten away with it" and tend to write flowery reviews to ensure they don't get clobbered in a review or damage claim (although that's quite naïve since the review system is blind). 

So, when we have guests who openly violate house rules and/or leave a horrible mess or minor damage, we send them off with a smile and a thank you. but then wait until the last minutes of the review time to post a truthful,  concise review without any sense of personal attack. Just the facts: Bad guest. 

Filing a claim with Airbnb before the review period has expired is a guaranteed way to ensure a scathing review complete with fabicated atrocities you committed against the guest, which are nearly impossible to have removed. They may even request a full refund for those imaginary atrocities.

So, just smile and wave them off. And keep Airbnb out of it. 

And although you suffer major cleanup and/or minor repairs, you won't likely receive a scathing, damaging review nor suffer the wrath of having to fight Airbnb over a refund demand for fabricated horrors you imaginarily committed against the guest. 

The guest, on the other hand, will have to to close their Airbnb account and open a new one to eliminate the bad review. 

All things considered, this is about the best you can expect. 

Kimberly718
Level 10
North Stonington, CT

@Sybe  

After receiving 103 5-star reviews, I recently had a guest give me a 3-star on Accuracy, which dropped my rating. She wrote a nice public review but then blasted me privately and indicated a list of issues that call into question the accuracy of my listing. Claiming problems with AC, Wifi, Washer/Dryer, Size of space, and unexpected rules. Our split AC units are brand new and work perfectly, the washer and dryer are also brand new, but in the basement, which she didn't like, the size of the space is listed as 1,200 SF, but actually its larger at 1500 SF, the Wifi was verified with Airbnb as high-speed connection, there are no unexpected rules if she read them online and reiterated at check-in. As a small business person, I find it super frustrating to have to deal with outsourced Airbnb call centers that are supposed to provide "Superhost" support, yet they lack the power to solve issues like this that ultimately hurt our listing and booking potential. I work really hard to ensure my listing represents the place and experience as closely as possible and I work very hard to make sure every detail is addressed and things are working the way they should. I think Airbnb should work harder to help hosts out with reviews like this. Suggest an option to verify issues using photos, video walk throughs, a live Facetime call at the property to verify the inaccuracies in question. Hoping Sybe you may be able to help with this?

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

That is kind of interesting tip to add key words in the response for popular amenities. Guest often mention the closest beach 12 miles away, so Airbnb algo decided to put my listing in the Beach category, even though I don't have beach access checked or any beach gear, and am a long ways from the beach. I have Bay View and Waterfront checked. So now waiting on my first negative review when guest finds my listing from the beach category and its no where near the beach. 

As far as responding to reviews, I've only done it a few times, to help clear up some minor point. The last time a guest said my listing was in a different city, the one he flew into, and not the actual city I'm in. So I just thanked him for the glowing review and mentioned the city I was actually located. 

As far as placement I think a lot of other factors have more weight. Also the vibe I get is that guest consider the review a place to communicate with other prospective guest, although each listing and host is different. Then what if a guest wan't that great. Maybe just a little messy? Stains that needed to be removed, or something minor. Do you also give flattering response, or just ignore them? Seems like a lot of extra work, IMO, for something way down the list. Just make sure the place is super clean, maintained, and accurate, and don't worry about however guest wants to respond. 

If there is something inaccurate, such as how long it takes to get somewhere,  its best to update the listing. The next reviews will also clear up any discrepancy, as a lot of guest just flying in for a weekend and have no idea what city they are actually in. 

Thanks for sharing this, @Dave-and-Deb0! I've always believed in the power of acknowledging feedback. Responding to reviews not only helps with engagement but also shows customers that we value their opinions. Plus, it's a great way to learn and improve. I'd say my top tip is always to thank the reviewer for their time, whether it's positive or negative feedback. It's all about building trust and relationships!

Brian883
Level 4
Orillia, Canada

Kim and myself always respond to reviews AFTER our guest leaves their review. Why? In case they leave some sort of negative review we have the last say and turn that negative with a mild and courteous explanation so we can still generate a positive out of the process. We can actually market our place deflecting the effects a negative review can have on future booking!

Usually we always thank the guest for for being considerate, respectful, clean and tidy as well as their business! Then we wish them all the best and personally invite them back!

The way you respond is being read by potential future guests so you want to put your best foot forward here as it lets them know the type of person you are and the atmosphere they might be walking into! You want to show you care!