Unexpected pet and guests

Answered!

Unexpected pet and guests

We are a pet friendly host and usually charge a pet fee. We allow up to 10 visitors total in the cottage.

The guests we were hosting  made a reservation for 6 adults and 3 babies.

From what we where able to see from exterior security cameras, they were 9 adults, a teen, 3 babies and a dog.

When we took back the place yesterday it was really dirty, some things have been broken or overly used. I would like to get some ideas on the right way/value of each of theses things before submitting my claim with Airbnb:

1 - the dog: when we do accept dogs we communicate specific house hold rules to our guests. Now we were not aware that there was going to be a dog. There was pee everywhere outside in the snow, dog hair on carpets and everywhere on the floor inside. Additionally the dog broke a rug that we had in one of the bedrooms (I don’t have the invoice anymore). Would you charge just the extra dog fee we usually charge or additional cleaning fees?

- Additional guests: in total they were 10 + 3 babies (one is 2 years old). We were expecting 6. Would you count that has extra guests? Do the babies count in our 10 max occupancy. Would you charge extra guest fees and if so how much per head.

There were also the following things:

- place was so dirty it took the maid 1 hour more than usual (mud on the walls, boot prints everywhere inside)

- they took extra fire wood and did not send us the money (as per stated in our house rules)

- we had plastic wine glasses (about 20) all of them were in the dishwasher and melted.

- we had left 4 toilets paper rolls for 3 days (they are all gone)

- someone slept on the couch (which we state we don’t allow in our house rules) and there is a bed that wasn’t slept in.

- the dog ate a rug and ping pong balls

- they burned something other than wood in our fireplace (braze is pink)

For me it’s a lot more than what I would consider a normal use of the place. But I want to see if the community shared my perspective or do I have too high standards.

Thanking you in advance for your insights.

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Laurence1096  With a house as large (and nice!) as yours, you should always expect maximum occupancy.  People will just read 10 guests and think that "oh, we can add a few friends to our booking without having to inform the owner" because the house will accommodate 10, AND (this is a BIG AND) "CHILDREN DON'T COUNT".   

1.  Increase your nightly price.  You have a great property and it should rent for more per night.  At your current rate, every person is paying $20 per night to stay and that is too cheap.

2.  Always ask for a list of the persons who will be in the house.  Let your guest know that your insurance through AirBnB and your private company will only protect registered guests. 

3.  When you send your acknowledgement of the booking, be sure to state that the booking is for X persons, including all infants and children and that the guest will be bringing an animal (or NO animal).  My letter states that all animals must be declared at booking, including Service Dogs and ESAs.  

4.  While it sounds like these guests were not the best, with a large number of persons you have to expect more wear and tear.  Any time that I have a booking that includes children and pets I assume that housekeeping is going to take longer and things are going to be damaged.  I have found that young adults with babies are particularly careless.

5.  All of the items you listed I would have to categorize as the price of doing business.  I have learned over 20 years that guests do not know that plastic does not go in the dishwasher (if they even know how to use one).  Guests will use all available toilet paper and towels.  Guests will clog plumbing.  Guests will cook smelly things in the microwave, leave food spills in the oven and forget to take their food out of the refrigerator.  They will create enormous amounts of trash.  Guests will burn every stick of firewood they can.  Their pets will chew, scratch and claw furnishings because they are in a strange place.

Bottom line: increase your nightly rate, anticipate damages, and take good care of your housekeeper.  (And expect guests to lie.)

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Laurence1096 there are some things that you need to do before guests arrive. One is to have an extra guest fee in your fees , generally fifteen dollars per day after first two persons , but in your case probably ten.this fee cannot be collected after guests have arrived if not stated. Also remember to check with the booking guest via messaging if the number of guests 'altogether including yourself and excepting children under two'. Ask about the number of children and ask if they need cribs,highchairs etcetera. engage with the guestbefore they arrive. check arrival times , tell people that you personally check in all first time guests and if there are extras, say so and explain that there is 'an extra guest fee , and you will send a variation and ask them to accept it when it comes through. Checking how many guests have arrived via camera is tricky to explain to a guest and may annoy the guest so much that they try for a refund.Communicate communicate communicate. Its your place.... H

Two people will use one toilet roll per two days , so four rolls is not enough and as we all know rolls vary. Over deliver on the toilet paper if nothing else. And make it easy for people to clean ,but charge them for the rugs and the glasses and the extra dog fee. Ask directly. ... H

Teresa31
Level 9
Montana, United States

Sorry you had this experience! No! your standards are not too high. Upon viewing the security camera I would have contacted them immediately upon the start of their stay. 

thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the temperature was so low when they arrived and the next day  (-40 C) that the exterior camera was not working. It’s only when the personal responsible of snow removal alerted that there were 5 cars in the drive way that we started looking at the cameras and then counted people leaving during check out time.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Laurence1096  I'm curious why you didn't mention the extra people during their stay?  They sound like terrible guests, but it is anyone's guess whether they will pay the extra fees or not or give you a retaliatory review if/when you ask for the $$.

What I would have done is as soon as I saw the extra people, would have sent them a message that they must have misunderstood the listing and house rules...and then gone over the pet fee and the maximum number of guests allowed.

Unfortunately the temperature was so low when they arrived and the next day  (-40 C) that the exterior camera was not working. It’s only when the personal responsible of snow removal alerted that there were 5 cars in the drive way that we started looking at the cameras and then counted people leaving during check out time.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Laurence1096  With a house as large (and nice!) as yours, you should always expect maximum occupancy.  People will just read 10 guests and think that "oh, we can add a few friends to our booking without having to inform the owner" because the house will accommodate 10, AND (this is a BIG AND) "CHILDREN DON'T COUNT".   

1.  Increase your nightly price.  You have a great property and it should rent for more per night.  At your current rate, every person is paying $20 per night to stay and that is too cheap.

2.  Always ask for a list of the persons who will be in the house.  Let your guest know that your insurance through AirBnB and your private company will only protect registered guests. 

3.  When you send your acknowledgement of the booking, be sure to state that the booking is for X persons, including all infants and children and that the guest will be bringing an animal (or NO animal).  My letter states that all animals must be declared at booking, including Service Dogs and ESAs.  

4.  While it sounds like these guests were not the best, with a large number of persons you have to expect more wear and tear.  Any time that I have a booking that includes children and pets I assume that housekeeping is going to take longer and things are going to be damaged.  I have found that young adults with babies are particularly careless.

5.  All of the items you listed I would have to categorize as the price of doing business.  I have learned over 20 years that guests do not know that plastic does not go in the dishwasher (if they even know how to use one).  Guests will use all available toilet paper and towels.  Guests will clog plumbing.  Guests will cook smelly things in the microwave, leave food spills in the oven and forget to take their food out of the refrigerator.  They will create enormous amounts of trash.  Guests will burn every stick of firewood they can.  Their pets will chew, scratch and claw furnishings because they are in a strange place.

Bottom line: increase your nightly rate, anticipate damages, and take good care of your housekeeper.  (And expect guests to lie.)