What host may have to deal with now?

Answered!
Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

What host may have to deal with now?

I have had 3 guest contact me in the last few days to let me know that they were going to cancel stays that didn't start until the end of April and May. I never received any cancellations so a few hours ago I contacted these people and told them I hadn't received any cancellations from them and asked if they still planned on doing that.

One told me that he requested a cancellation but was told by AirBnB that I declined the request and that he should wait until the dates fall under the extenuating circumstances. I never received a request for him let along declined it. The other two told me they were still going to cancel but were going to wait until they could do it and get a full refund.

So I have spent the last two hours telling them how I cant re book the house until they have cancelled. I told them that if they canceled I would refund any money that BnB didn't as soon as I got the notice.

As of now there is one that hasn't replied back and the other two said they were sorry but they were going to wait to cancel. One told me she was going to wait until she got hold of CS on the phone. I told her that they shut the phone service down and she said that she was still going to wait, but assured me she would try calling them every morning until she got hold of them. The third one just said sorry I'm going to wait. It was like they thought I was going to rip them off by not refunding them the money after they cancelled. So it looks like after everything thats happened host will now have to have there listing tied up possibly for weeks maybe months by a guest who must not trust that the host wont rip them off(as if we could) basically killing what little chance we had to re book the listing.   

I know there will be those who are going to say uh oh here we go again, someone who cant stop bitching about how BnB has done them wrong, or blaming BnB for all their problems but that's not what I'm doing. The truth is I may not be over it but I am over debating whether it was right or wrong on this forum. Its just to sensitive of a topic for so many people and there are going to be some that let their emotions get the best of them and say things that they shouldn't have said.(myself included)  I myself think that that's one thing forums are good for is to let people vent about something that has them upset, but there comes a point when everything has been said and it no longer does any good to continue discussing it. IMO we have reached that point on this subject. So like I said I am not complaining I am simply giving people a little heads up about what they may be having to deal with in the near future.. 

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sam397  I would absolutely not just cancel from your end. The 'no penalties' to hosts currently only applies for the period stipulated in the COVID-19 extenuating circumstances policy, i.e. to mid April (and some hosts that do qualify reported that they got penalised anyway). As you are talking about guests in late April/early May, you are not covered by this and would be penalised as per normal, e.g. losing Superhost.

You need to get the guest to cancel, or Airbnb to do it on your behalf. Unfortunately, right now there is not much chance of that because Airbnb is TELLING guests to hang on to the booking and cancel last minute as they will be extending the COVID-19 policy beyond mid-April.

I have had exactly this same experience and the guests then don't understand why this is not a fair solution. I also offered additional refunds, but I guess they do not believe me either! One guest said that by keeping the booking and cancelling at the last minute, I as the host would 'lose nothing'. It's like they think the property lives in some fantasy land where the mortgage, bills and local taxes pay themselves while they sit empty.

I am not expecting Airbnb bookings in the next few months, but I would like to take in long-term renters if that is even an option in the now severely overcrowded rental market. However, I cannot do anything with my rooms  held to hostage.

I would suggest you do what I am doing. Advertise your rooms elsewhere. If you know the guests have no intention of keeping the bookings, cover yourself by trying to get new renters in from another source. If, by some bizarre chance, a guest ends up keeping their booking, you can tell them, "Sorry, but you told me you were definitely going to cancel, so I had no option but to fill the rooms." If you have to face Airbnb penalties for this, then so be it, but don't expose yourself to them now by cancelling bookings that fall outside of COVID-19 EC.

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28
Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

I finally got fed up with the whole thing and sent this to my guest.

I dont know if you are aware of this but this virus is going to put a lot of host out of business and cause people to lose their homes. Right now there are health care providers and businesses that are looking to put up their employees in places other than a hotel. This is a very limited window and I need the reservation canceled NOW. And just a little side note if I do miss out on the bookings there will be no need for me to have this cancelled and if thats the case you will not be getting your refund until its falls into the extenuating circumstances. Now, it's one thing to do this in order to save a few bucks but I told you I will give you a full refund so there is no reason to wait, so please cancel your booking.

One guy went ahead and canceled and is off the books and surprisingly the lady that wanted to get hold of CS was able t, and they contacted me asking if I would agree to a full refund which I did. I wasnt able to refrain from letting them know how I felt and then asked him to  relay my feelings to his bosses. If BnB does actually hold a grudge and will kick somebody off for saying unpleasant things to them I imagine my days on this platform are numbered. The third guy still hasnt gotten back with me so who knows how that turns up.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

They really need to extend the policy immediately. I have cancelled my bookings, I think penalty free. They have to make it easier for guests and hosts alike in order to free up support for other issues.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I wonder what they are paying for their super de dooper fancy headquarters in San Francisco? I went there once for a market research thing and it is quite a spread. I always suspected the weeks long slow pay to Australian hosts had a silver, no make that a golden lining for the guys at the top. There might not be any cash reserves.

@Sally221 And you can be sure Mr. Chesky isn't going to have a hard time paying his mortgage. If he even has one- he probably paid cash for whatever place he lives.

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Did anyone listen to Brian’s 15 minute live broadcast? Some lovely things were promised, but still no mention of extending the cancellation date beyond April 15. Its very frustrating. 

@Jude7 @Sam397 

Yes I watched last night. After the broadcast a guest sent me a screen shot of May 31 being the new extended deadline for 100% refunds.

Yet I am still getting those Covid 19 emails asking me to voluntarily give the full refunds. Assuming that any host who clicks yes to that full refund forgoes the special 25% of the normal cancelation fee promised?

Let’s say you charge £100 per night. Guest cancels. You have strict cancellation policy where you get £50.00. Thus you get 25% of that which is £12.50 instead of £100.00.  Better but not that great either!

Sofia449
Level 2
Pittsburgh, PA

I discovered a loophole--if you can get the reservation changed to an earlier reservation, before April 15th FIRST, THEN guests can then cancel and get a full refund now. I am so angered and amazed that they made it impossible to get through on the phone. Greedy cowards. 

@Sofia449 have you tried it? It sounds brilliant but I am worried they will say the change was made after March 14 so no refund at all

Yes, I tried it and it worked. They have this automated and they didn't anticipate the strategy. As long as the booking was made before the proper cutoff date, it will automatically refund 100% to the guest and cancel the booking, even if the reservation is changed now. 

Linda-And-Allan0
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

In reply to a host who posted about guests cancelling at the last minute and not leaving time to re-book the accommodation. Surely you shouldn’t be re-booking at all. Unnecessary travel will spread the virus. In many countries, including here in the U.K., the government have made it clear that this is not permissible.The CEO also seemed to be advocating the continuation of business: he should have qualified this.

Airbnb’s ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’ policy is rightly being widely criticised here in the U.K. 

@Linda-And-Allan0, there are situations to where I think you can host and provide a safe place for someone to stay. They can extensively clean the place and disinfect everything a person touches, from door knobs to oven handles. And there are people who are looking for a place to stay for reasons other than vacation. For example last night I checked in some guest that made a last minute booking the day before. They had traveled here to  pick up some medical equipment that was to fragile to ship. The house was cleaned and disinfected,  and when they arrived I gave them a quick tour of the house never getting closer than 6' and I refrained from touching anything. Is there anything wrong with that? 

Here in the UK , you would have to check, but I would think that since it involves the transport of medical goods it would probably be allowed. I rather think that the restrictions may not be as strict in the US. Certainly here, no one is allowed to travel for the purpose of a holiday, visiting friends or family, to go to the countryside or a park  or to another another area in order to isolate. Seems sensible to me.

@Sam397 What is wrong with it is that trying to contain this virus extends to more than just you being able to provide a safe environment. People should not be moving around at all- those guests had to travel to your place from somewhere, and you have no idea whether they practiced safe distancing and the rest of the safety measures during their travels.