Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

When is the Exchange rate used

When is the Exchange rate used

I am new to Airbnb and live in the uk where my default payout is GBP. My house I am letting out is in Turkey where the exchange rate can be quite volatile.
In march I found a family wishing to rent for a month. I appreciate that once the family book the payment is held on their cc. My question is that in March the exchange rate of Turkish lire to the pound was 23 TL to the £.  Today it is 23.90, by July when they are staying it could be well over 24… at which rate would I be paid out because if it is held at the March rate I will receive a much lower amount. Please help TIA

4 Replies 4
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Pauline825 ,

Were you able to figure it out or get any suggestions around the exchange and payments rate? Do you have any advice for Hosts running into same situation as you?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello

ive been informed that the exchange rate that is used is at the date of payout to the host.    So not good for me, on the other hand the lady who is renting has to pay a fee for the transfer of currencies.   I do not yet know at what percentage ?

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Pauline825 
Did you consider renting in GBP? That way, you won't have the currency risk

Yes the price displayed is in GBP but the lady renting is Turkish and it showed her (on that particular day where the rate was 23 tl to the £) that it would be 75000 TL.   That is the amount  Airbnb has secured on her cc.   That is the price she expects to pay.  On payout Airbnb use the exchange rate on that day