Why can I not refuse guests with service animals?

Answered!
Vivian860
Level 5
Richmond, ME

Why can I not refuse guests with service animals?

I am at a loss...AirBnB says we HAVE to accept service dogs. This is not ok with my homeowners insurance or my attorney. As a host I have to consider all this:

- Other guests with allergies

- Service animal potty in/on furniture

- Scratching up wood floor

- Tearing up furniture or fabric decor

- Barking (I have other guests in the same building)

- Dog not being on a leash

- Picking up after animal and where do they discard that

- Dog attacking my dog, guests, etc. whos insurance will cover that attack?

- Renting a fabric cleaner to remove pet allergens 

This is simply unacceptable and AirBnB must side with hosts and not guests. I have a house rule that excludes pets; this should undoubtedly include service animals. There are plenty of other hosts that are fine with accepting animals but the hosts that do not should not be required to accept them just because hey are deemed 'service' animal. 

I think AirBnB should give hosts that do not accept service animals or any animal the option of holding an extra down payment of our choice; incase damages are done and cleaning, show proof of guest's homeowners/tenant insurance policy that has coverage for their pet, no continual barking or they must leave and must be leashed at all times when on the premises. 

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Susanna169 ,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this thread and I wanted to assure you that Airbnb emphasizes inclusion and respect for all its users.

There are several policies in place with respect to accessibility and inclusion, which Hosts are expected to abide by when they start hosting on Airbnb.

I wanted to share these policies for your knowledge and should you face any issues that violate our Airbnb policies including our Accessibility Policy, Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy and Community policy for accessibility needs, we would encourage you to report it to Airbnb by contacting Airbnb Customer Support.

Have a nice day ahead!

Bhumika

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

94 Replies 94
Sarah4009
Level 2
New York, NY

@Kristin108

I actually do home-share. Where on my listing would I put that I have an aggressive dog of my own on the property and the NP policy is a safety issue? I don't want to scare away the non-pet guests. Thanks. 

Sarah

@Sarah4009  Don't use the word aggressive. Write somewhere in your description, " PLEASE NOTE: Due to the fact that our dogs, while friendly towards people, are very territorial and not friendly towards other dogs on the property, out of concern for the safety of your furry buddy, we regretably cannot accept any other dogs on the property, including ESAs or service dogs."

@Sarah977 

Well said!

@Sarah977 

Sorry for my typo from before...

Well said! as always...

@Sarah977 

@Kristin108 

Thank-you both so much-excellent suggestions. 

Where would you suggest I put this Information about my dog?   In the House Rules or elsewhere? 

Sarah

@Sarah4009  I suggested to put it prominently in the description section, as that is the first part guests see and guests tend not to read listings thoroughly. 

House rules are buried at the bottom of the page and require clicking on the arrow. Definitely talk about it there, too.

Repitition of important info is fine.

@Sarah977 

@Kristin108 

TY very much- really appreciate your help! One more thing: I thought I read somewhere that Airbnb requires all guests to agree and adhere to the House Rules. The guest who told me her dog was an ES dog admitted in a message just b4 arriving that she hadn't read or noticed the NP policy in the House Rules. Does this help me at all in pleading my case to Airbnb?

Sarah

All of this is well and good, but in the end it won't matter in your ability to deny an Animal that someone wants to classify as a "Service Animal" since ABB recognizes "Emotional Support" animals as being "Service Animals" (they are not, in fact  only Dogs trained for a specific task that meet a diagnosis are "Service Animals" https://adata.org/guide/service-animals-and-emotional-support-animals). 

They are just wrong, but that is the ABB policy.  You are only stating in your listing that you don't allow "Pets".  Until ABB gets with the rest of the hospitality business and requires that hosts only must admit "Service Animals" you will be dinged by them as you have agreed to host under the terms and conditions of ABB.

From a Governmental standpoint you are totally within your rights to ask the guest if they can provide a diagnosis and documentation that the animal fulfills the diagnosis in order to demonstrate that the animal is a "Service Animal".  

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah4009 @Sarah977 
There is a place where you can check a box for “dangerous animals” but that sounds bad. I finally checked it after I had someone who refused to stay here because they were afraid of bears.

Honestly, any animals, wild or domesticated, can be dangerous to humans who abuse them.

Deer kill a whole lot more people than bears do. But no one is afraid of Bambi.

I don’t think I would use the word “aggressive” to describe my dog. Perhaps “protective.” Or “territorial.”

@Brian2036 

Thanks,  I saw that section too and pondered it for a while. There are deer, coyote, etc all around.  For my protective territoral dog that category sounded too drastic and would scare NP guests away, I was afraid. 

Sarah

@Sarah4009  I don't think the "dangerous animals" check box is intended for our pet dogs, unless you have a vicious pitbull intent on killing your guests 🙂

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah977 @Sarah4009 

I don’t know what to say about my dog, but I’m sure that eventually someone is going to complain so I have to say something.

Actually I’m not sure that he IS “my dog.”

Someone dumped him out here and he decided that I need guarding, which is his mission in life.

So I wrote that “There is a large white dog that guards my house who might chase your car when you drive past. He barks but he doesn’t bite.”

Unless you’re an armadillo. He hates armadillos. And pigs.

Uh oh. . .A1094186-CB15-4479-9E4C-BEB2998F89C0.jpeg

@Brian2036  My dog also adopted me, not the other way around. Appeared at my house at the age of 5/6 months, 13 years ago, looking healthy, not starving, not mangy, not abused. No idea where she came from, but she's been guarding me and my place ever since. 

She's a big hit with guests. Has a big bark, doesn't bite. Same color as yours.

I definitely consider her "my dog". The cat is a different story. Couple years ago a guest asked me what the cat's name was. I said it didn't have a name, because I was still in denial about having a cat, not being a cat person. The guest named the cat.

@Sarah977 

Sounds like you allow guests to bring dogs when visiting your place...?

Sarah

@Sarah4009  100% no. I have a no pets listing. My dog is an alpha female and doesn't abide with other dogs in her territory. 

Not to mention I have never allowed any dog I've had on the furniture or the bed, nor have they been destructive. And my dog won't even pee in my yard, she trots off to an empty field. I don't need guests who sleep with Fido, let him chews things up, and leave poo piles in the yard.

I love my dog, but I'm not one of those people who just love dogs in general. Or rather, I like dogs, but not the behavior some dog owners allow.