Why can I not refuse guests with service animals?

Answered!
Vivian860
Level 5
Richmond, ME

Why can I not refuse guests with service animals?

I am at a loss...AirBnB says we HAVE to accept service dogs. This is not ok with my homeowners insurance or my attorney. As a host I have to consider all this:

- Other guests with allergies

- Service animal potty in/on furniture

- Scratching up wood floor

- Tearing up furniture or fabric decor

- Barking (I have other guests in the same building)

- Dog not being on a leash

- Picking up after animal and where do they discard that

- Dog attacking my dog, guests, etc. whos insurance will cover that attack?

- Renting a fabric cleaner to remove pet allergens 

This is simply unacceptable and AirBnB must side with hosts and not guests. I have a house rule that excludes pets; this should undoubtedly include service animals. There are plenty of other hosts that are fine with accepting animals but the hosts that do not should not be required to accept them just because hey are deemed 'service' animal. 

I think AirBnB should give hosts that do not accept service animals or any animal the option of holding an extra down payment of our choice; incase damages are done and cleaning, show proof of guest's homeowners/tenant insurance policy that has coverage for their pet, no continual barking or they must leave and must be leashed at all times when on the premises. 

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Susanna169 ,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this thread and I wanted to assure you that Airbnb emphasizes inclusion and respect for all its users.

There are several policies in place with respect to accessibility and inclusion, which Hosts are expected to abide by when they start hosting on Airbnb.

I wanted to share these policies for your knowledge and should you face any issues that violate our Airbnb policies including our Accessibility Policy, Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy and Community policy for accessibility needs, we would encourage you to report it to Airbnb by contacting Airbnb Customer Support.

Have a nice day ahead!

Bhumika

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

94 Replies 94

"We happily accept all service animals, but it feels like there is a loophole being exploited. I hope Airbnb is working to address this issue, as it seems like almost every dog is now labeled as a service animal. Our second house is our pride and joy, as we live in a tiny one bedroom most of the time. It is filled with personal belongings, including lovely rugs and floor coverings, so it breaks my heart that I have no control over what animals come and go. For the most part, we have loved all of our guests. I personally have allergies to dogs, which is the main reason why we don't allow pets in our rental. Additionally, I am concerned about potential damage to our home and personal belongings, as well as the issue of dog waste being left outside in the yard.

I have had many conversations with friends who have dogs, and many of them simply label their pets as service animals because it is easy to do and allows them to stay at Airbnb rentals without paying pet fees. It is sad for those who truly need service animals because something needs to change. I am considering leaving Airbnb because of these concerns.

Selma124
Level 2
Annapolis, MD

I just had a similar incident!  My garage apartment is carpeted.  For that reason, I do not accept animals.  I declined a guest for that reason, and just received a message from AirBnb stating that I am receiving a warning because I declined a guest with a medical condition.  I am furious because I did not decline a person with a medical condition. I declined an animal.  This is unbelievable!  Where are my rights as a host?

Susanna169
Level 2
West Hollywood, CA

I am completely horrified to read the vitriol targeted at disabled people and their service dogs.

How often could a host possibly encounter a disabled person with a service dog, once a month? 2 -3 times a year? Guests children do more harm to a property than a trained service dog.  My neighbor has an Airbnb with a NO PET POLICY and she has had so much damage to her property done by guests children.  Children jumping on beds – broke a bunk bed, children staining carpeting and furniture with food & drinks, among many other issues.  I haven’t seen one property listing refusing children but trained service dogs are an issue?

I don’t have an observable disability but nonetheless I have a disability.  You can’t see diabetes, you can’t see epilepsy, you can’t see ptsd and a variety of other illnesses that are considered disabilities and eligible for a service dog.  My service dog has traveled domestically and internationally.  He has flown 15 hours to Singapore and back without an ‘accident’.  He is well behaved and more importantly has saved my life so he is an essential part of my life and my daily living.  To think there are hosts that abhor his presence and would deny our reservation (if we weren’t protected by Airbnb) even before we had a chance to demonstrate that he is a calm, well trained service dog.

I sincerely hope no other disabled travelers with service dogs happens upon your disgust for them as guests.  Reading the vast number of responses all in agreement with Vivian860's hostility towards disabled people and their service dogs was alarming and immensely upsetting.  I am protected by the ADA but it’s amazing to see that some Hosts don’t seem to care because it’s inconvenient for them to comply.  Instead you should consider how lucky you are that you don’t have to live with a disability every day, you aren’t reliant on a care giver or a service dog just to get through your day.

@Susanna169 I totally agree with you (except there are some hosts on here defending service dogs). You and your service dog are always welcome at our 'no pets allowed' place. Service dogs are some of the best trained dogs in the world - who wouldn't want to host them.

Thank you Mike and Jane
Spanky & I really appreciate your support.

@Susanna169 Just one other question. What do you think of emotional support animals?

I understand the need for ESAs but they aren't protected by the ADA so they (unfortunately) shouldn't be covered under the same policy by Airbnb.  Hosts should have the opportunity to approach them on a case by case basis with guests.  If the guest is honest and communicative wtih the host then the host can decide with the guest whether a reservation can be made.

There's no issue unless the guest lied and is lying, what's the Airbnb policy, it says that we can order a deep cleaning, we have owners that are deeply allergic and the reason the unit, the HOA, and every other governing policy doesn't permit pets at the property.  Being ok with lies and deceit is something we taught our children is a matter of basic respect for others.  

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Susanna169 ,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this thread and I wanted to assure you that Airbnb emphasizes inclusion and respect for all its users.

There are several policies in place with respect to accessibility and inclusion, which Hosts are expected to abide by when they start hosting on Airbnb.

I wanted to share these policies for your knowledge and should you face any issues that violate our Airbnb policies including our Accessibility Policy, Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy and Community policy for accessibility needs, we would encourage you to report it to Airbnb by contacting Airbnb Customer Support.

Have a nice day ahead!

Bhumika

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you Bhumika
I am aware of the Airbnb & ADA policies that protect me and my service dog.

I was just so upset by the tone of this thread that Vivian860 started that I had to reply with a viewpoint from a person with a disability that travels with my service dog.  I greatly appreciate that Airbnb adheres to the ADA laws and has policies in place to protect guests.

The ISSUE IS THAT THE GUEST LIED ON THEIR APPLICATION AND CAUGHT ON VIDEO, THEN SAYS THEIR SCHNAUZER IS A 'SERVICE DOG'!  HOW WOULD YOU RESPOND OR FEEL WHEN LIED TO AND ROLLING OUT THE RUG FOR SOMEONE??????

thanks for sharing this 

I know Airbnb says they are “inclusive” but are they really?  What about the people being excluded that have minor, moderate & severe allergies to animals?  While there are several places that welcome animals it sounds like there are NO places that are ‘inclusive’ to people with allergies. 

something to think about when we are talking about ‘inclusivity’ 

regardless of if it’s a state law it really does suck for those hosts who are trying to offer an allergen friendly home to be forced to have pets. 

end of rant…for now

So glad you said this! My son has a service dog (that was picked at birth and professionally trained by a Service Dog company) that was trained for his epilepsy, to fetch things he can not pick up, to help my son up if he falls, and to stay with him if he is disoriented (he had an AVM rupture, which is kind of like a stroke, which caused right side weakness, hand posturing, headaches, migraines, dizziness, and of course epilepsy). He would NEVER use the restroom in the house and he pretty much goes on command. He would also NEVER tear up furniture or anything else, nor would he ever attack another animal, or even bark. Unfortunately, he is an animal and he does have hair, but we do our best to keep him groomed every 6 weeks to help with shedding (and nail trimming) and we are very respectful and clean up as much hair as we can. Is it possible to clean it all? Probably not, but we do our best and most true service dog owners are that respectful! I am so shocked at how many people are so nasty about it in general! We have encountered people like this everywhere and we continuously have to tell them what the laws are (which amazes me that people don’t know the laws). My sons dog helps him to have seizures as safely as possible by warning him before they happen which is such a blessing for us and it helps to not have to worry about him being out somewhere and getting hurt. I am truly sorry for those that have allergies, but my sons dog truly does help keep him from getting seriously hurt and it allows him to have more independence!

Natalie1174
Level 2
Houston, TX

Wow.  I’m horrified why what you wrote.  I’m a girl who served in the army.   I have a small service dog.  I have not been able to book with anyone on Airbnb.  I’m upfront and honest about my pup and my ptsd.  My dog helps me when I need to take my med if I start to hand a 

seizure.   My dog is very well trained and has all her papers.   I can not find I place on Airbnb to stay. It is terrible