Why can I not refuse guests with service animals?

Answered!
Vivian860
Level 5
Richmond, ME

Why can I not refuse guests with service animals?

I am at a loss...AirBnB says we HAVE to accept service dogs. This is not ok with my homeowners insurance or my attorney. As a host I have to consider all this:

- Other guests with allergies

- Service animal potty in/on furniture

- Scratching up wood floor

- Tearing up furniture or fabric decor

- Barking (I have other guests in the same building)

- Dog not being on a leash

- Picking up after animal and where do they discard that

- Dog attacking my dog, guests, etc. whos insurance will cover that attack?

- Renting a fabric cleaner to remove pet allergens 

This is simply unacceptable and AirBnB must side with hosts and not guests. I have a house rule that excludes pets; this should undoubtedly include service animals. There are plenty of other hosts that are fine with accepting animals but the hosts that do not should not be required to accept them just because hey are deemed 'service' animal. 

I think AirBnB should give hosts that do not accept service animals or any animal the option of holding an extra down payment of our choice; incase damages are done and cleaning, show proof of guest's homeowners/tenant insurance policy that has coverage for their pet, no continual barking or they must leave and must be leashed at all times when on the premises. 

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Susanna169 ,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this thread and I wanted to assure you that Airbnb emphasizes inclusion and respect for all its users.

There are several policies in place with respect to accessibility and inclusion, which Hosts are expected to abide by when they start hosting on Airbnb.

I wanted to share these policies for your knowledge and should you face any issues that violate our Airbnb policies including our Accessibility Policy, Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy and Community policy for accessibility needs, we would encourage you to report it to Airbnb by contacting Airbnb Customer Support.

Have a nice day ahead!

Bhumika

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

94 Replies 94

@Sarah977 

@Kristin108 

FOLLOW UP:

Successful resolution so can't  thank you all enough for your support  and suggestions, with a special shout out to Kristin who told me not to give up. It took many messages & phone but someone at Airbnb finally"got" it and changed cancellation status to one done by Airbnb  (not me) & refunded the $100 "penalty" it had taken for saying I me canceled.

This situation is truly a nightmare for hosts. The Airbnb policy clearly states hosts can cancel if a guest violates a No Pet policy and then seriously dings you if you say no to guest, only to find out,  after confronting guest,  that guest  is claiming it's  a Service Animal. How is a HOST supposed  to know that, if GUEST is not required to provide any information whatsoever?  Are we supposed to use a Magic 8 ball or consult a psychic? And how does a Host communicate certain additional "rules" for an SA or ESA such as proof of vaccination, or no dog on bed, furniture,  etc., or can't be left alone for a nanosecond, ask for security deposit-  if a guest can withhold such info anytime prior to checkin??? Insane.  

Well, thanks  again, all!

Sarah

@Sarah4009 

So glad you got it taken care of.

Please remember to send feedback! It is now the ONLY way Airbnb takes note of issues.

I just had 3 nightmare issues arise that were badly botched by the customer service rep.

All they did was say they couldn't talk on the phone because of a bad internet connection. Then when I tried to escalate it, the gal said her shift was ending at 8:20... ??

I think they are trained to deescalate the situation by saying that... When she did finally transfer the case, the new rep. immediately closed the case without contacting me... 

It's unacceptable...

Cheers,

Kristin20200425_BaliHouse_216.jpg20e278c1-b442-4ef8-bca0-7b5aa0629809.1 copy.jpg

Dianne-Redmond0
Level 1
Maggie Valley, NC

If a guest claims they have a service animal, we have the right to request proof. I have had so many issues with guests claiming a service animal. A repeat guest stated actual service ani.als have $6k in training per animal 

@Dianne-Redmond0 Just replied to this but was blocked by this site...

When ever I reply with actual information my messages are getting blocked!

@Kristin108  Your messages aren't getting blocked. When you compose a longish post, it often times out. What you need to do is copy your post before hitting Reply, so if it disappears, you can just quickly paste it into a new response box and hit Reply again.

And personal info like phone numbers or email addresses will get blocked.

@Sarah977

Thanks Sarah,

I will try that...

But I still think it was blocked, as it was a short reply...

@Kristin108  Hard to know. I have sketchy internet and when I'm not getting a strong signal, I find that sometimes happens as well, even if it's a short post.

@Dianne-Redmond0   Under ADA Law, you may not request documentation for a Service Animal. 

• When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

A Service Animal is defined as a dog, under the ADA, no other animal.  Miniature horses have been trained to perform tasks as Service animals but are covered in a different section of the AW. 

Nobody in this thread has had an issue with "Service Animals", their issue is with the emotional support animals that are not covered under the ADA.  It is simply ABB's policy to  force hosts to accept ESAs regardless of the stated policies of the host and the rules of their dwellings.  It leaves hosts in a bad situation.  My state only protects the rights of those with service animals and I can be fined by my association for a non-owner animal on site.

@Jonathan6  I agree, Service Animals - really Service Dogs, the only animal considered a Service Animal under the ADA - and ESAs should be considered separately. 

In my state, I may not ask for documentation for a Service Dog, however, it is legal to ask for an ESA recommendation letter from a licensed healthcare provider, under the Illinois Fair Housing Act.  

The issue with Airbnb policy is it places both Service dogs and ESAs (which can be any animal) under the general heading of Assistance Animal. 

"For Hosts

You’ve received a booking request and now you are wondering if you are required to accept assistance animals. Generally, yes, unless there’s a threat to health or safety. As stated in our Nondiscrimination Policy, Hosts are expected to reasonably accommodate reservations where an assistance animal may be present, even if their listing/house rules state “no pets.”

Please be aware that under Airbnb’s Nondiscrimination Policy, Hosts can’t charge extra fees to guests with an assistance animal."

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/assistance-animals

"A Host may ask a guest to remove a service animal if:

1. The animal is out of control and the animal’s handler does not take effective action to control it
  2. The animal is not housebroken

In either scenario, the Host must still give the guest the opportunity to stay at their place without the animal. And given their role in providing service or emotional support, assistance animals shouldn’t be left alone at a listing."

I've never tested it, but it would seem that if you are allowed under State Law to ask for an ESA letter under the Fair Housing laws of your state, one shouldn't be prevented from doing so, but that's just my opinion as a non-attorney.    Airbnb policy doesn't clarify whether one is prevented from asking whether an assistance animal, if that is how it is described,  is a Service dog or an ESA.

Linda3399
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

This policy needs to be updated. The guests do not even need to notify us they are bringing animals, we can't charge extra for deep cleaning to protect future guests from allergies, and we don't have to ask for certification of the service animal. Please change this policy.

Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

Donna937
Level 2
Spring Hill, TN

I too Have just uncounted this problem. No dogs or animals allowed on our property. The guest booked and agreed to the terms and then 6 days prior to checkin…oh ya and we have a service animal we are bringing.

We have allergies to animals and we share an air unit with our suite. We will have to totally Re clean that suite from top to bottom. Exposing us! I guess we don’t matter? 
this person immediately went to “I’m gonna turn you in, American disabled act…I’m gonna go after you if you charge me fees” and so on. Literally threatened me and my business right off the bat.

there is a reason we do not want pets in our property. OUR PROPERTY. They are forcing us to host this person. I know this is not going to end well for us. Why in the world would someone want to force ones self where they are not wanted. And tell us pre checkin that they are not gonna pay any damage fees!!!  I’m so disappointed in Air BNB 

Also anyone can get a certificate online. Where is the proof that it is truly a service animal. Anyone that will break the rules is not honest. 
and air bnb should support their hosts first, by making sure. I also have chickens in the property. What if it’s a pit bull? Or an aggressive dog? None of this really matters. It’s private property and we should have a say.