Smart lock

Answered!
Christine3142
Level 2
Washington, NC

Smart lock

We are 700 miles away from our Airbnb. We installed kwikset Halo touch screen smartlock.  It worked perfectly for 9 months changed batteries once . Now we are having our cleaning person change batteries once a week. We contacted kwikset and that sent us a new lock but it still draining batteries.  Anyone having same problems? What smartlock do you recommend? We like the smartlock so we can program access code to our guests remotely. 

1 Best Answer
Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Christine3142 

I second @Pat271 

A lock that fits over a deadbolt but has a separate keypad seems to work best. I wrote the pros and cons of the one I'm using here (https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Advice-on-your-space/What-smart-locks-are-you-using-with-integra...

I've updated to the 4th generation since then and not having a hub really works for me but I'm local. 

Remember, when a lock has a separate Wifi connector that plugs into an outlet the batteries will go on for a long time. 

When the lock has to keep searching a wifi connection and a bluetooth connection itself battery life will be short. So you might actually do better with the 2nd generation that has a separate hub and the whole thing keypad, hub and the part that goes over the lock is less than $150 still on sale on their website I think. 

P.S. I think this lock company should pay me commission! 

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

This is strictly a matter of people’s experiences, so I’ll give you mine.

When I first opened my first condo for rental, I hired a property manager while I learned the ropes. They suggested that a more mechanical smartlock was more reliable, i.e. one that you can control remotely, but the numbered buttons on the lock itself were push-button style, not electronic.

We have this type of lock on both of our condos and have never come close to draining the battery. We change the battery once a year, even though it’s usually still charged 80-90%.

Thank you!  We will look into that kind of lock.  Hope you dont mind me asking but which lock do you have?

@Christine3142 

Kwikset 888 on one, Kaba 660i Live Series on the other.

sorry, which model is better? thnx

Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Christine3142 

I second @Pat271 

A lock that fits over a deadbolt but has a separate keypad seems to work best. I wrote the pros and cons of the one I'm using here (https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Advice-on-your-space/What-smart-locks-are-you-using-with-integra...

I've updated to the 4th generation since then and not having a hub really works for me but I'm local. 

Remember, when a lock has a separate Wifi connector that plugs into an outlet the batteries will go on for a long time. 

When the lock has to keep searching a wifi connection and a bluetooth connection itself battery life will be short. So you might actually do better with the 2nd generation that has a separate hub and the whole thing keypad, hub and the part that goes over the lock is less than $150 still on sale on their website I think. 

P.S. I think this lock company should pay me commission! 

@Nur785  Very well explained! I agree this lock company should pay you a commission.👍🏼

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Christine3142 Our doorbell ate batteries until we improved its internet connection. Apparently constantly searching for internet is draining on the batteries.

I discovered that most of the locks do better at 2.4 ghz wifi bu

but if we down grade to 2.4 router then our Streaming TV will not work well and our guests will not be able to work remotely.  What did you upgrade to?

Hi, try checking  your router, mine have 2.4 ghz and 5G speed at the same time. Hope this helped.  

Best regards ,

Petra 

Nevermind we have wifi that runs at 2.4ghz so I am more confused 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Christine3142 Perhaps you could try changing the placement of your router if your router has an access point (home routers usually do), and keep in mind that walls weaken the signal. Perhaps an access point or WiFi extender/repeater closer to the lock could help strengthen the signal too. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

In recent years, smart security equipment has undergone a great evolution in our daily life with the development and updating of technology. And the smart door lock has started to attract more and more customers, as a home guard, to protect family safety.

However, can a smart lock be linked to only one mobile phone account? If our family member is not connected to the smart door lock, does that mean they can't check the door lock records in the APP? Can the system share real-time exterior door status with other family members?

For the above questions about sharing door lock function in EasyKey APP, Philips video smart door lock DDL702-1HW can give you an answer.

The smart door lock takes only an entry-level role among security devices. For security reasons, a smart door lock can only be linked to a mobile phone account. However, it is worth noting that Philips DDL702-1HW video smart door lock supports sharing door lock function. That is, authorized users can view the exterior door status and door lock information anytime and anywhere. This eliminates the problem of a smart lock not being able to simultaneously check the door lock status online by authorized users. The steps required for this are given below.

After your mobile phone is connected to Philips EasyKey, Philips EasyKey APP — [Share device]– [Invite a new account] — [Phone account] — Enter phone number (Must be a registered account Philips EasyKey App) — [Next] — [ Successful]

After a successful invitation, what functions can the authorized user use?

Remote online, real-time monitoring

Philips DDL702-1HW video smart door lock has smart door camera, doorbell and door lock functions. Not only does it have a 120° wide-angle lens with a resolution of over 2 million pixels, it also has Wi-Fi connectivity. After successfully authorized, our authorized family members can conveniently check the door lock information and alert records via APP. In addition, although our family members are not the only connected users, they can also learn the real-time door status through the video function.

Google translation added by OCM

In recent years, smart security equipment has undergone a great evolution in our daily life with the development and updating of technology. And the smart door lock has started to attract more and more customers, as a home guard, to protect family safety.

However, can a smart lock be linked to only one mobile phone account? If our family member is not connected to the smart door lock, does that mean they can't check the door lock records in the APP? Can the system share real-time exterior door status with other family members?

For the above questions about sharing door lock function in EasyKey APP, Philips video smart door lock DDL702-1HW can give you an answer.

The smart door lock takes only an entry-level role among security devices. For security reasons, a smart door lock can only be linked to a mobile phone account. However, it is worth noting that Philips DDL702-1HW video smart door lock supports sharing door lock function. That is, authorized users can view the exterior door status and door lock information anytime and anywhere. This eliminates the problem of a smart lock not being able to simultaneously check the door lock status online by authorized users. The steps required for this are given below.

After your mobile phone is connected to Philips EasyKey, Philips EasyKey APP — [Share device]– [Invite a new account] — [Phone account] — Enter phone number (Must be a registered account Philips EasyKey App) — [Next] — [ Successful]

After a successful invitation, what functions can the authorized user use?

Remote online, real-time monitoring

Philips DDL702-1HW video smart door lock has smart door camera, doorbell and door lock functions. Not only does it have a 120° wide-angle lens with a resolution of over 2 million pixels, it also has Wi-Fi connectivity. After successfully authorized, our authorized family members can conveniently check the door lock information and alert records via APP. In addition, although our family members are not the only connected users, they can also learn the real-time door status through the video function.

We, as many, had the same issues.  We never have to change batteries again. Email me at ** and I will be happy to send you a document of what we did.

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Sorry all.  I am not sure how to share this document.  If someone is interested and knows a way for me to share that would be beneficial.  It is WAY to much to post here.