Airbnb Rooms, an all-new take on private rooms

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb Rooms, an all-new take on private rooms

Airbnb began as an affordable way for travelers to stay in someone else’s home. With the pandemic behind us, more people are looking for opportunities to spend time with their Hosts and explore new places like a local.

That’s why we’re introducing Airbnb Rooms, an all-new take on private rooms. The upgrades include: 

• A Host Passport, so guests can get to know you before they book 
  • A new Rooms Category and redesigned search filters that make it easier for guests to discover private rooms 
  • New privacy-related details for everyone’s comfort

Airbnb Rooms—and 25 upgrades for Hosts—begin rolling out this week as part of the Airbnb 2023 Summer Release. Get more details on the Resource Center.

Are you a private room Host, or have you considered becoming one? Do these upgrades make you want to try it out?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

29 Replies 29
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

As a Private Room Host since 2010, I love to see that the classic Homesharing is more appreciated  with this update. Back to the roots! 😍

@Till-and-Jutta0It's wonderful to hear your take on these updates! Keep sharing more of it😍.

-----

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Stephanie 

The pandemic isn't behind us. I don't think you should make statements like that. 

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

[off-topic]

@Kia272 wrote:

@Stephanie 

The pandemic isn't behind us. I don't think you should make statements like that. 

Our Minister of Health stated 1 month ago, that the pandemic is behind us: https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/politik/corona-lauterbach-pandemie-beendet-100.html

All measures and regulations are finished.

Perhaps there is an endemic in your region?

https://www.who.int/news/item/05-05-2023-statement-on-the-fifteenth-meeting-of-the-international-hea...

I'm happy to listen to the opinion of the World Health Organization.     I hope this news allows all of us to exhale and move on. 

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

-Where is the guest passport? I would also like to get to know the guest before allowing them into my home.

-Why are private rooms in homes in the same category as hotel rooms? There should be a split between those two. Staying in a home is a completely different story than staying in a hotel.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Mariann4 ! 🙂

Private rooms are a separate category that won't show hotel rooms. One of the criteria of being included in the Rooms category that must be met, is that the room is not a shared room, hotel, resort, tent, camper, standalone unit, or any other property type on the list here.  

I hope that helps, and thank you so much for sharing your feedback and suggestion for the guest passport!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Screenshot_20230504_152853_Airbnb.jpg

 Hello @Sybe 

See picture attached. It says "your own room in a home or in a hotel". That's the filter you give in search for a place to stay.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Mariann4 There's a difference between the property type "Private room", which indeed is a room just for yourself and can be in a hotel, and the new category "Rooms", which you can find in the top bar with all other categories introduced last year. 

Sybe_1-1683207538755.png

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sybe If only Airbnb had a group of hosts to pre-vet the changes they make. The difference between a private room and a room is way to subtle even for people with English as a first language.

Of course it doesnt help when Brian writes 'That’s why we’re introducing Airbnb Rooms, an all-new take on private rooms.'

The suggestion from one person here was that Homeshare should be the name instead of room. This seems far more sensible but I fear its too late to implement.

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

@Mike-And-Jane0 wrote:

The suggestion from one person here was that Homeshare should be the name instead of room. This seems far more sensible but I fear its too late to implement.

Was also our personal suggestion, @Mike-And-Jane0 !

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 

As always, thanks for the valuable feedback.

As you and @Till-and-Jutta0 have both agreed that you feel "Homeshare" to be a better name, I've passed your comments over to the team so that they're aware.

Jenny

-----

How is that a sensible solution @Sybe ? How do you think guests search? They use filters. And the filter says that a private room is in a home or a hotel. The categories are buildt by machines that doesn't know what they buildt. Lots of guests says they never use categories in search because it only gets them frustrated.

If Airbnb is going back to its roots, promoting private rooms, then that filter is misleading.

Now you are saying that a room is all kinds of room. And a private room is in a home or hotel.

Mine doesn't show up in Room Category when searching..... 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/809561584784595281?source_impression_id=p3_1683647111_WZse0%2Fs87NfWoib...

You tell me what I have wrong there then, there is a bug and it needs to be fixed. Only thing that could be wrong is my legal name is Daniel, and I have Dan there but I doubt that is it!