Airbnb cancellation fee is not reasonable?

Joyce-And-Alex0
Level 2
Duncan, Canada

Airbnb cancellation fee is not reasonable?

Help please. I have a guest who booked for Sept 2019. They cancelled their reservation today which is 8 months in advance. I have a flexible cancellation policy - I do not believe in charging my guests for cancellations. However, she has contacted me today very upset that almost $190 has been held back from her refund? I explained that this is not my policy so it must be an Airbnb fee... she is furious. This has happend to me twice now. The policy seems to indicate that the Airbnb service fee is refundable, up to 3 times per year, within 48 hours of booking. Someone who is booking 8 months in advance only has 2 days to cancel without penalty?????? How can that be right?

5 Replies 5
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Joyce-And-Alex0. You have not received any monies, as the stay did not take place.

All frustration, anger and communication from the guest, needs to be directed to Airbnb. 

You need to advise them that you have no way of assisting as all monetary transactions are completed by Airbnb, and that is who they must deal with. 

They are venting, but you are out of the transaction. You can empathise, but then you need to distance yourself.

@Joyce-And-Alex0

While I understand a lot of hosts want to TRY and help guests, by getting involved in such matters, it only creates misguided expectations that hosts can fix all guest problems and issues. 

The policies are all defined by ABB. Payment issues are between ABB and the guest so it's best if you keep your distance, don't get involved, and let the guest handle it directly with ABB.

Joyce-And-Alex0
Level 2
Duncan, Canada

Thank you. I gently advised them to contact Airbnb to resolve and they did!

Same thing just happened here.  Guest showed up and decided our place was too small after messaging me for early check in and then booking for 1 person for 2 days.  He must not have scrolled past the first picture and thought he was renting a mansion for $75.  Come to find out there are 3 more people out in the car.  He must have figured we were giving him the keys and leaving.  Obviously never even read the description.  So he wants to cancel and we graciously refund him.  He then wants his $19 Airbnb fee too.  I tell him we have zero control over that and to contact Airbnb.  He leaves and then messages me he would like his money back on his charge card right away so he can book another place.  Once again I tell him we don’t have anything to do with his credit card and have received zero money and to call Airbnb. I called Airbnb and got intentionally hung up on. While trying to inform them there may be a problem. Next day there is a prompt to review guest.  I’m patiently waiting this out because I figure if Airbnb doesn’t give the would be scammer his $19 we will get a bad review and per there policy it will stick.  I’ve informed them should that happen we will remove our listing.  Airbnb customer support is rude and ignorant.  Already looking into another booking site with better credibility.

Be careful with Booking.com, VRBO and Home Away. They are all problems. Booking.com sent me a homeless person with homeless friends in tow. I had to change the locks after telling her not to come back after leaving for a while. I packed her stuff and left it on the porch. She tried to tell me she was disabled and would sue me. I told her go ahead and try. She gave my address to other homeless so that is guest misconduct and I had a right to kick her out. 

I used Home Away and they didn't want to pay me for 30 days so I quit that. 

VRBO is part of Home Away. Very disorganized.

I had an issue with a snobby, rude guest who was staying for a month. (I no longer rent for more than 2 weeks.) He was trying to tell me how things were going to be and had me running around for a minute. He was making sexual comments. Airbnb had him out in an hour.

I'd stick with Airbnb.