As a host, how can you protect yourself from predator?

As a host, how can you protect yourself from predator?

Hi all,

I've been hosting with Airbnb since 2017. I have noticed this issue on my lower price home. This is the second time it happened. These guests stayed at my home, and when it's almost time to check out, they come up with some reasons and demand a refund. In this last case, the guests accused that the home has roaches. I immediately sent my property manager out. NO Roach was found but we found the home in disarray. They left open bags of chip on the floor, dirty dishes on the beds and in the sink. Now they are demanding a refund. I'm at a limbo. I take this business very seriously and our team try very hard to provide a pleasant experience. If I don't give a refund, I will get a 1-star rating. If I do, it's not fair. Please help!

9 Replies 9
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Vee4   There is not  much you can do to make a guest provide a good review especially a guest who might be scamming you.  It is always a good idea to provide a response to the reviews, good or bad, so potential guests will see that you care.  It also will give you an opportunity to provide a short explanation of any complaints.  For example, if the review mentions roaches, your response could point out that food left out on the counters and in the beds would attract roaches.

Make sure you review all guests whether they review you or not.  Especially review messy, inconsiderant ones.

Thanks!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Vee4 

Did the guest mention "no refund then bad review ?". If so, then it is called an "extorsion", and the policy is clear about it:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/548/what-is-airbnb-s-extortion-policy

So be sure you have the communication in your message system  and contact Airbnb:

Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated]

Best regards,

Emiel

@Emiel0, No. The guest just created the profile in March. And everything in the conversation just seemed troubled and now I understand why.

Van6
Level 2
Geneva, Switzerland

May I ask if you can give example, to see if it is similar to what I saw?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Vee4   You might consider raising the price on the lower cost house, this might get people who are less likely to be scammers.

Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

@Vee14  hi Yvonna here (cohost) those guests were obviously in it to scam you.  I read all your amazing reviews and not one bad one.  Please don’t be afraid to challenge this guest.  Do it for yourself and the rest of us!  If they review you be sure and respond back with facts and assert that you will not tolerate blatant abuse of your hospitality or property.  It will scare off the scammers!

"that you will not tolerate blatant abuse of your hospitality or property.  It will scare off the scammers!" agreed! Otherwise it will encourage other scammers to use this practice, either to our listing or to others.

Van6
Level 2
Geneva, Switzerland

If we accept to refund:

1) we encourage and let future scammers to apply on our listing or other listings using the same method

2) we accept it is our fault, as if we didn't take good care of our listing and let roach coming

While it is fair to reimburse if those roaches come from our listing, but it is really ... unfair if the guest bring roach, intentionlly, consciously, or not (unconsiously).