Bank transfer

Answered!

Bank transfer

Hi, I found an apartment outside Airbnb (Ebay) and contacted with the host via email. After some conversation, she sent me an Airbnb link where she appeared as a Superhost and there were 9 really good reviews on her. On that same link I had to specify the check in and out dates and the number of guests (what we had already agreed by mail).  Once I booked, Airbnb said me I had to make a bank transfer to a bank account in Poland. It said that the money would go the Airbnb's bank account until the check in date when I should confirm everything is right (and if it was, then the money would go to the host's bank account). It also said that I had 24 hours to make it or the booking would fall. Is that payment possible? Should I trust and make the bank transfer?

1 Best Answer
Haile0
Level 2
Portmore, Jamaica

This is definitely a scam. The official Airbnb website is www.airbnb.com and not www.airbnb-listings as shown in that link. All payments are handled via the airbnb platform and there is no need to wire money when booking via the official Airbnb website. 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Juana87 can you send us the link? It sounds like a scam. 

Haile0
Level 2
Portmore, Jamaica

This is definitely a scam. The official Airbnb website is www.airbnb.com and not www.airbnb-listings as shown in that link. All payments are handled via the airbnb platform and there is no need to wire money when booking via the official Airbnb website. 

Thanks you!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You've dodged a bullet there, @Juana87. Stick to the Airbnb platform if you want an Airbnb apartment.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@มนต-กานต-0  If this letter you posted above was meant to go to Airbnb, first of all, this is a discussion forum for hosts and guests, not Airbnb customer support. And you shouldn't post private information, like bank account numbers, phone numbers, email addresses, etc. on a public forum. You have compromised your daughter's friend's bank account by posting her bank account number along with her name. 

There is no point in contacting Airbnb about this, as the whole thing was a scam and has nothing to do with them. I'm sorry your daughter fell for this and sent off money, but all you can do at this point is to report it to police. I think you and your daughter have to resign yourselves to the fact that she won't get her money back, since she didn't send it from her own bank account or credit card and the money has long been retreived and absconded with by this scammer. It was a very expensive lesson in internet fraud.

@Lizzie  Maybe remove the personal info from this post above so these poor folks don't run the chance of being the victim of further fraud?

Thank you so much Saraah977,  I am so silly what I did and do not know how to delete my former post you saw. Kindly send me the ling so I will delete it. All I wrote is the truth butt I haave to be more careful as you haas suggested. Thaank yo so much

@มนต-กานต-0  It looks like it's already been removed, not sure if the moderators of this forum already did that for you. You can't actually delete a post here yourself- you have the ask the moderators to do it. For about half an hour after you post here you can edit by clicking on the arrow on the top right side of your post and just delete the parts you want to.

Personal info posted here wouldn't be anything you'd have to fear legitimate contributors to the forum here would use to harm you, but with all the hackers and scammers out there these days, you can never be too careful.