Broken items

Zena16
Level 1
Fort Washington, MD

Broken items

I had a guest break a dinner plate and a decorative soft soap hand pump dispenser. I’ve sent pictures to Airbnb as well as notified the guest. If I report this issue to Airbnb what is there to discuss. If this issue is not taken care of I may decide to remove my property from Airbnb and continue to rent the home as I’ve done the past 25 years. 

2 Replies 2

@Zena16  You would remove your listing over a dinner plate? Assuming you weren't leaving precious family heirlooms out for guests to use, you can replace that for just a dollar or two. Same goes for the soap dispenser. I mean, sure, you can make a damage claim if those few dollars are really important to you...but if the breakage wasn't a result of malice or willful negligence it seems a bit petty to do so.

That said - I do understand if you prefer to rent independently, if that was working well for you. A downside of Airbnb is that you don't have control over your deposit. So you risk losing more if really significant damage happens - especially if the damage is considered non-physical (pets, smoking, illegal downloading, etc).

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Zena16 

If its low value items Airbnb regard it a trivial  and will ignore you request,  and if its very expensive item they put you trough the ringer to prove its value.