Cancellation by a guest due to her family in car accident.

Claire10
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Cancellation by a guest due to her family in car accident.

My guest had booked for arrival on 26 th Dec. she cancelled on the 15 th Dec. my cancelation policy is strict. Airbnb have just sent me notification that I will be paid. As my guest states she is unable to keep the reservation due to her parents in a car accident why have they paid me?  Does any one know if I should have been paid. ...?

2 Replies 2
Jessa0
Level 10
Ngorongoro, Tanzania

If she can prove to airbnb there was a car accident you should not have been paid. If you believe she is telling the truth but gathering evidence on a family drama is tiring for her you could refund her. Calling airbnb and hearing out what they think about the accident story cannot hurt. 

Nancy2
Level 6
Sacramento, CA

I had a guest that cancelled within 24 hours of his arrival due to his mother being taken to the hospital.  Airbnb did not charge the guest for the 1st night stay but did pay me based on my flexible cancellation policy. 

I verified with the guest that they were not charged otherwise I would have refunded him myself.

Sounds like you experienced the same. 

Sometimes when a guest calls Airbnb to cancel Airbnb will reach out to the host to see if you would be willing to accept the cancellation forgoing your cancellation policy.  But hosts do not have to agree and then Airbnb will decide whether to refund the guest at their expense.  Host is still paid based on cancellation policy.