Cleaning fee doesn't include laundry

Carla1007
Level 2
Solihull, GB

Cleaning fee doesn't include laundry

I am renting an entire place long-term and agreed on a cleaning fee to have the space cleaned but the host told me the cleaning fee doesn't include laundry so I'll have to take all the bed linens and towels myself to some place to get it washed. I'm stunned by this!

The place doesn't have a washing machine, but the host lives upstairs and they do have a washing machine which they didn't tell me to use, they told me to take the laundry somewhere outside to get it washed. 

I understand about taking my own clothes, but doesn't make any sense to take the bed linens and towels!

Can you advise please?

Thank you.

10 Replies 10
Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Hi @Carla1007 , 

Have you tried to talk to them again? The best is if you can come to an agreement with the host. They might just not have thought about it?

Yes I am going to talk, I just wanted to come here and ask about this before I do talk.

Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

Hi @Carla1007 

As a host, I would be attending to the washing of bed linen and towels for my guests who stayed longer than a few days, and I would not charge extra for this service.

Exactly, that's what I was thinking! Especially when the place we are staying doesn't have a washing machine and she lives upstairs and does have a washing machine. Telling me to take the bed linens and towels out of the house myself to get them washed is not acceptable I think. If I was a host I wouldn't do this to my guests either.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

To be honest @Carla1007  I would never have booked a long term stay in a place that didn't list a washing machine as an amenity.

Also with long term lets hosts do not provide cleaning/bed linen changes after the initial set up, so this is something you could have discussed before confirming the booking.

Having said that if she lives upstairs, it would seem rather unreasonable of her not to provide linen changes,  unless you have a laundrette within easy reach - in which case you can just put your linen washes in with your other washing.

Thank you. At the time I did the booking, I talked to her and she mentioned the stay includes cleaning. So I thought the cleaning of the place includes wash and change of bed linen and towels.

Yes you are right, it was a mistake to book a long-term stay with no washing machine.

Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

Hi @Carla1007 @How long is your stay?

6 months.

Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

Oh gosh @Carla1007  I would really hope that you are able to chat with your host and work out a way to use their washing machine, in a way that  is suitable to both of you.

Thank you. There were many other issues with the host, one of them loud noises from their parties upstairs, which made me have to leave the house with my 8 year old daughter and now Airbnb says I own them money. I've also asked for help on this if you wish to read: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Had-to-leave-property-due-to-the-host-noise-and-now-have-to...