Do I give a refund

Do I give a refund

Seeking advice as I want to be fair. Here is the situation:

4 guests check in early, they call me and ask if I have cable (I don't advertise that I have cable). I tell them no but I have chromecast and a amazon firestick that they can use the wifi to stream anything, they express how they came to watch the football game and they were pissed. A new guest got on the phone and then expressed how they couldn't use the outside lawn furniture because there was "mildew and spiderwebs" on the back deck. I reminded them they were renting a cabin in the mountains completely in the woods and that the deck was cleaned the night before. They started to get emotional and informed me no spiderwebs in that quantity form overnight. If you live in the woods, you would likely disagree with them. Their final complaint was that the firepit had wood scraps in it and they wouldn't be able to have a fire. I expressed how this was an act of kindness so that they could start a fire.

I asked how they wanted me to make their stay more enjoyable and they expressed they wanted a full refund and they were leaving. Fast forward, I have been on the phone with Airbnb multiple times and they submitted a handful of photos of the outside of the rental stating they were leaving due to cleanliness issues. When I came back from another state to check to make sure they had not destroyed the residence, they had broken a shelving unit that holds the surround sound (I was able to fix it pretty easily), they left somewhat of a mess on one of the desks in the rental and left things out on the coffee table (I took photos). Nothing major but certainly noticeable. Walking outside to check on the outside furniture I had to laugh as there was not anything that would deter someone from using the furniture and yes, some spiderwebs were outside but not many. 

I fully believe these folks didn't realize there wouldn't be cable, were pissed, checked out and went to a hotel so they could sit and watch football on their vacation as this is what they told me they were going to do. I want to be fair as they didn't actually stay, however, it could have easily been rented to someone else, I have a strict cancellation policy, the house was completely as advertised (even my photos posts of the outside firepit shows material in it), I incurred charges having to come back to the residence when that wasn't in the plan as well as the residence had to be cleaned again.

I am sure they will leave a negative review which I really wish airbnb would change their policy that if you don't actually stay at the rental, you don't get to leave a review if you chose to checkout but nonetheless, what would you all do? Thanks in advance.

9 Replies 9
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I would wait. Airbnb will contact you to discuss  . It will depend on how vocal they are with Airbnb and who takes the call.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wouldn’t refund. Hope you followed up calls with messages on Airbnb which confirm their main issue was lack of TV to watch the game.

next time insist all communications stay on Airbnb

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Crystal253 

Don't offer any refund or any portion of a refund no matter what. 

They are going to be unhappy no matter (and partial refund will just make them more angry). When they leave a ranting and crazy review, you can simply respond  on your page with a nice "I'm sorry that you chose to leave.  I really encourage you to read the listing and look at the pictures before booking your next stay. This will ensure a positive experience for all involved."

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Stick to your cancellation policy.  I agree, they wanted to watch football and when they found they couldn't, their error, they looked for reasons to get a free cancellation. Airbnb may still give them a refund, but you should do your best to prevent it.

I was actually the first to contact airbnb as I had no experience with this before. Seems like everyone agrees, no refund at all. Anyone reading this disagrees? Again, I want to be fair and I really do want folks to have a positive experience .

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Crystal253- I know you want to be a good host, but I truly think there is no way you can make this a positive experience for them.  They erred when they read (or didn't read) your listing and they want a refund regardless whether it was their fault or not.  I think you should stand your ground and wait to see what their next move is.  Like @Emily487 said above, respond professionally if they do leave a review and be straight and to the point. 

Thanks Susan. They contacted airbnb and provided photos of the outside where the deck is and the firepit saying there were cleanliness issues and the house smelled like a dog.

@Crystal253- the sad thing is that Airbnb will most likely take their word for it.  Hopefully you will not have many or any more guests with the attitude these have had.  You did everything you could for them.  If they leave a poor review, state something to the effect that you offered to try and make them more comfortable, but they made the decision to leave.  Sorry you had to deal with those kinds of guests.

Thanks for the kind words. They had never rented before and I was leary, should have trusted my gut and just cancelled the reservation. Live and learn.