Guest redecorating

Ashley218
Level 1
Kansas City, MO

Guest redecorating

Hello all, quick question! Has anyone else had a guest redecorate the room? The guest has moved a mirror and hung their own picture in its place, taken another decoration off and hung the mirror in its place and placed that decoration elsewhere. It honestly makes me uncomfortable that they felt the need to make the place their own. Is this normal? 

13 Replies 13
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Ashley218. How long is the guest staying in your place? For a short term stay it would be strange. For a long term one - it might depend on the house rules.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

She is staying until almost the end of December leaving for about a week as I had guests already booked and then coming back after they check out. 

I didn’t say anything in the house rules about that because I have never thought about it being an issue. 

@Ashley218

I host a lot of exchange students who stay at my private home listing for a whole semester. To some extent, if they are staying for more than a month I think I could understand wanting to personalize the space a bit. Also, sometimes when I travel, I see a mirror hung somewhere that totally does not make sense to me. If it's a couple days I'd let it alone, but if it's for a couple months, I'd probably think about moving the mirror somewhere more convenient for me.

Still.......I have to admit hanging your own picture is a bit odd. (People travel with their own pictures for the walls???) 

As long as the guest hasn't done any damage, I think I'd let it go and maybe casually as if they'd like the decoration stored elsewhere and if there's anything else in the room they'd like removed. As long as any of the changes they make are temporary and easy to switch it back to the way you had it...... as a host, I think I'd try to be cool about it 🙂 

oops. private *room* listing~ 

@Jessica-and-Henry0, @Ashley218 I think the funniest part of this is that the guest brings a picture of themselves to hang on the wall when they travel.

Well, we signed up for AirBnB to meet interesting people...

@Matthew285

Yup...... we need to be careful what we wish for 🙂

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ashley218,

Welcome to the Community Center.

I could see that you've received some great feedback here from the hosts! Perhaps you could mention something like this in your house rules for the next time you host guests? 

I was hoping if you could let us know how it went? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

I will certainly let you guys know how it goes! Thank you to everyone for the feedback!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ashley218 

maybe is just a Feng shui thing 🙂

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hello @Ashley218 guests are not allowed to touch anything unless you encourage them to do so. 

I sometimes get guests who reorganize the apartment and swap furnitures or re-orientate the beds. Not a big deal because most put everything back in place on departure,, but some don't - kind of saying " I organize things better than you " 

All Fine, if that's the worse that happened this month.

Francisca16
Level 5
New York, NY

Quite interesting that guests travel with their pictures to hang up. This is quite new to me!

Ann3
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Despite my house rule about putting furniture back if it's moved, I had guests move all the furniture that could be moved out of the living room into the dining room. Seriously -- everything. Chairs, lamps, side tables, the rug. They were both personal trainers, and I guess they needed room to work out, but it really ticked me off when I walked in there after they checked out and saw the dining room full of living room furniture.  Glad they weren't able to move the armoire that hides the TV or the sofa! They were...odd.   As is traveling with a picture of yourself to hang on the wall, but as people above said, we see all kinds in hosting.