Guest treating me like a concierge

James105
Level 2
Bowen Island, Canada

Guest treating me like a concierge

I have an older couple who appear to be new to Airbnb and who think of our suite as a hotel, with me the concierge. I provide directions and recommendations about the immediate community/neighborhood to all guests, and detailed advice about how to get to our place.. but he keeps picking up the phone looking for ferry schedules, bus connections. etc. It is awkward. I don't want a negative review. Advice?
8 Replies 8

@James105 - "....picking up the phone..."   You mean he's using your home phone to make phone calls?  Just tell him no and your phone is off limits.  Or tell him that the phone is not included and charge him for the phone calls.   

Even if you keep letting him use the phone, there is no guarantee that he will give you a good review.  He could just slam you for not having printed ferry and bus schedules on hand for him to take with him.   

No he's calling me on his mobile to my mobile.

Is there a reason he can't call? 2nd language speaker? Hard of hearing? I would probably check on it for him. We have some guests that ask a lot of questions and I have felt like a tourist office, but others don't ask anything. It seems to even out. Hopefully, it is a short stay. Good luck.

Let it go to voicemail.

David
Sharon64
Level 10
Tampa, FL

Introduce him to Google and Uber aps.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Help them as much as humanly possible. Fact is that some guests are tremendously needy, but they are far and few between. My motto is ''whatever it takes''.

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I'm always happy to answer questions, but I ask guests to use Airbnb messaging or text messages so I don't have to drop everything to answer the phone.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It;s rare - but some guests are much more needy than others, just as some are friendlier, some are nicer, etc...

An elderly couple - perhaps they are feeling lost and nervous and appreciate your help. My parents would I think...

Hope they are not staying for too long however!