Guests leave 2 hours after checking in

Answered!
Amy305
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Guests leave 2 hours after checking in

I just had 2 guests leave 2 hours after checking in. They were only booked to stay one night. They did message me and say that they were leaving because my space was not up to their expectations. They did not cancel the reservations or ask for a refund. I feel that my listing accurately represents my space, so I am unsure what to do about this situation. I did message them asking if there was anything I could do to make it up to their expectations and with no response, went to the apartment 20 minutes later. The bed was unmade and it looked like someone had gotten ready to go out (makeup in the garbage, etc.). Does anyone have any insight about what I should do? Do I offer to refund these guests (I have a strict cancellation policy), or reccommend that they cancel their reservation in their end? Help!

1 Best Answer
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Amy305 Something similar happened to me a couple years ago. A guy booked a private room in my house for him and his girlfriend. It was last minute same day reservation, I should've decline the reservation, but I guess I didn't know better back then. He showed up with a girl who based on what I can see doesn't seem to have any connection to him (I always believe that you can tell if these people are dating or not). They stayed in the room for a couple hours and played really loud music. It was none of my business if they wanted to have sex, but the issue was that after he was done with his business, he said that he wasn't going to stay because my place wasn't "couple friendly" not  sure what he meant by that because I hosted many couples and never had any issue. He gave me the key and never cancel the reservation. I checked the room and it's obvious that they used the bed. A couple days later, he sent me a text asking for a refund. Hmmm... NO. You used the bed and I need to do laundry. My house isn't a motel for hourly sex activity!! I didn't give any refund and he left a negative review because of that. Airbnb took this as an extortion and they removed his review and I kept my payout. So, with this long story of mine... 😂, I don't know what kind of people are these guests of yours. They could be honest and the place didn't fit them, or they might have other reasons that they didn't tell you. I had a guest who showed up and see the room and said that it wasn't what she expected, she canceled the reservation and I kept the payout because I have a strict cancellation policy. She never asked for a refund and that's that.

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24
Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

If they don't cancel, you will be paid. If they cancel, they'll be paid according to your cancellation policy. If they don't cancel, they can leave you a review. If they cancel they can't leave a review. If I were in this situation I'd just send a message through Airbnb asking if there's anything you can do to meet their expectations. And then the ball is in their court. 

Ron103
Level 8
Galveston, TX

I would not offer a refund. If you feel your description is accurate, they may too. But it still may not have been what they expected.
Leave them a great review noting that they appeared to prepare for an evening out and decided to finish out the night somewhwere else.

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Amy305 Something similar happened to me a couple years ago. A guy booked a private room in my house for him and his girlfriend. It was last minute same day reservation, I should've decline the reservation, but I guess I didn't know better back then. He showed up with a girl who based on what I can see doesn't seem to have any connection to him (I always believe that you can tell if these people are dating or not). They stayed in the room for a couple hours and played really loud music. It was none of my business if they wanted to have sex, but the issue was that after he was done with his business, he said that he wasn't going to stay because my place wasn't "couple friendly" not  sure what he meant by that because I hosted many couples and never had any issue. He gave me the key and never cancel the reservation. I checked the room and it's obvious that they used the bed. A couple days later, he sent me a text asking for a refund. Hmmm... NO. You used the bed and I need to do laundry. My house isn't a motel for hourly sex activity!! I didn't give any refund and he left a negative review because of that. Airbnb took this as an extortion and they removed his review and I kept my payout. So, with this long story of mine... 😂, I don't know what kind of people are these guests of yours. They could be honest and the place didn't fit them, or they might have other reasons that they didn't tell you. I had a guest who showed up and see the room and said that it wasn't what she expected, she canceled the reservation and I kept the payout because I have a strict cancellation policy. She never asked for a refund and that's that.

Thank you for this helpful feedback! I don't check-in my guests in person, I dial them in through the apartment intercom, but this incident is making me rethink my check-in process. It's just super convenient! I did notice when he booked that he is from the same city as me (obviously where the apartment is located), so I felt it was a bit odd. He did book the apartment quite a bit in advance though, so I didn't really think anything of it, I just assumed he needed to stay closer to downtown. The only info he provided to me after booking was that he needed parking for two cars so I guess it could have been a situation like that. How would I go about disputing this to Airbnb if he does end up asking for a refund or leaving us a poor review? Thanks again for your response!

@Amy305 you can always be proactive and reach out to airbnb to make sure that they are aware of this. I had a similar experience. I called airbnb, they paid me in full and the review was removed because he did not stay the night. However, he still used the room and I also have a strict cancellation policy which means I get 100% if guest cancels less than 7 days before check-in (and in this case, he did not even cancel).

They gave my guest who left ony 6 hours after check  a full 100% refund for the 6 days after I told them No refund.

Who do you suggest I speak to? Everyone I get on the phone at Airbnb seems imcompetent.

MK2
Level 3
Santa Barbara, CA

I'm not sure if anyone has replied to your question, but the phone is not an ideal way to communicate grievances to AirBnB, best way to do it is through their Twiter account @AirbnbHelp

I had to create a Twitter account fro myself just for that, and it seems the most effective method to solve issues.

When you describe the issues, just stick to the facts. No impressions or hurt feelings. 

Back it up with times, dates, pictures, comments and messages exchanged. It just may work!

How did you get Airbnb to agree with you? I had a guest arrive day of his reservation and cancel immediately when he saw we lived on property. He had booked for him and his ederly mom only. We offer a jacuzzi, pool and firepit. Our listing first thing states we live upstairs. He cancelled, was refunded and gave me a long bad review. Out of all my guests first one but still hurt as it was so unfsir. I am sure he had hopef to have friends join him and when he saw we lived here he cancelled.

@Cindy203

I suppose your guests did not read the listing as to me it is very clear indeed that you live upstairs.

Be proactive and send a message to the guest who left through the system stting the fact.  Something like: "I am sorry you felt you have to leave, but I try to decribe our offer as accurately as possible and it should be reasonably clear that we live on the premises as this is the very first sentence in our listing description."

I'm a new host who has had recent issues with a particular guest, and I'm not sure how to respond. It seems like the Airbnb reviews are nearly all positive and it makes me wonder if hosts are writing good reviews for bad guests. Nobody wants to seem like a troublemaker, as this perception could cause you to lose bookings. That leads me to this question: I looked at your listing and noticed the one bad review that you got, and yet, when I went to the guests profile, you had not written one. I was curious why you chose that course of action. I see several options for myself: write an honest, negative review, write a phony, positive review that avoids the issues at hand, or write no review. I wasn't even certain if that was an option until I started looking at the Airbnb site and the related blog for hosts. BTW, your place looks marvelous. He was complaining about the hot tub? Poor guy!!! I WISH I had one. It's like complaining that you only have 1000 cable channels and no soccer network. Some people are just malcontents. I'm sorry that you had that experience.

If you were inquiring why I didn't leave a review your mistaken. I not only told my guest how I felt, wrote a review but I also responded " report to his review. I tried calling Airbnb several times to complain but could never get thru. I also at that time requested help from community to what to do but never received any responses. I always rate my guests honestly to help other hosts know what to expect. 

Philip, I have only been hosting and found it very frustrating to not have any assistance with various questions and assistance. I feel as if I am now better seasoned. If you ever need help please feel free to contact me. It would have been so much easier if I felt I had support. 

I'm sorry if I am mistaken about you leaving a review for the guest who was complaining that you lived upstairs, could see you from the jaccuzzi, etc..., but after I read his review, I clicked on his profile and saw only 5 reviews but none from you. I don't know why that is, but it does not show up to me on his profile. It doesn't matter though, because if you did leave him a review with your perpective, then the question does not apply to you. Sorry for bothering you.

No problem, I archived/deleted him right away. When I tried to do a search to call back up his booking they said no info. I was unable to see whether or not my review was still therecapable. No matter, my offer still stands to provide you with support as a new host. I have been doing this since middle of April and felt alone snd frustrated in the beginning. I now feel a little more