Help! A guest was in my bed

Julia978
Level 2
Christchurch, New Zealand

Help! A guest was in my bed

Hi I have a weird situation I’m not sure what to do ?! I have a couple from Singapore on there honeymoon I have a house that I host the spare room out and live there also. I am yet to meet them as we have had different schedules and I came home the second night of there stay to the husband sleeping in my bed with the lights on. I freaked out and went and stayed at my friends house. I just don’t know what to do I knew from the start they were going to be those stand out bad guests from there communication and demands but this is ridiculous! Any advice? I’ve sent them an email on Airbnb they are yet to reply and are staying another night ?! 

28 Replies 28
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Julia978.

- As a matter of safety, how can you have guests in your home without meeting them, considering the bed incident happened on day two!

- Did you sleep there the first night?

- Did the guest receive any information or house rules on arrival? What about aN assisted walk through check in, did that occur?

- Do the guests have good English skills?

—-

Contact Airbnb and tell them the story. That you feel very unsafe in your home and that the guests need to cancel. Do not cancel. 

1. Did they know they were booking only one bed?

2. Do you have a lock on your bedroom door! 

3. Place a “guest” sign on the homestay door or give it a name.

I’m going in to look at your listing and will get back to you. 

Julia978
Level 2

Woaaaa ok Thts a bit full on! Firstly I am a very good host and have an automatic check in process they arrived late and I work so we have conflicting schedules which is quite normal! When I’ve been home they haven’t etc. your message wasn’t helpful it just picked me apart which is the last thing I need right now!

I’m Sorry @Julia978. That was never my intention. I was merely trying to consider how a guest could end up in your bed.... trying to work through what they may or not know. I never intended any offence as I can see you are a superhost, so miscommunication is definitely an issue for the guest. I was thinking if you weren’t visible, the guest might have been wondering if you are not around, they can help themselves! Both cheekily and wrong...

However, if you feel unsafe with these guests, my advise to contact Airbnb still stands to get the guest to cancel.

PS: you have a great listing! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Julia978

Sorry you are upset.

I presume from what you said that you don't lock your bedroom door when you are going to be away and expecting guests.

How did you describe to these guests which rooms they should occupy? Did you have a sign on their bedroom door so that it was clear which room was theirs?

I tell guests that I leave their door wide open (I always have mine locked when I am expecting guests so there can be no confusion). 

Sorry it seems rather an over reaction to go and stay with a friend because they had mistakenly slept in your room.

Just give them a call. Explain their mistake and ask them to move their belongings to the right room. Then you can go and change the bedding in yours and give your room a tidy.

I appreciate it is upsetting, but really it is best to have a lock for your bedroom door, then there would be no way guests can make a mistake over which room was theirs.

I am sure going forward it will be another great Airbnb story to regale your friends and family with 🙂

Julia978
Level 2

I have a sign to there bedroom and have slept there with them we just didn’t meet yet because of there late arrival and my early work schedule it’s very clear which bedroom is there’s they know that from sleeping in it the first night and all the signs on the door

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Julia978

Okay you didn't say that in your first post you said

"I am yet to meet them as we have had different schedules and I came home the second night of there stay to the husband sleeping in my bed"

So you can see how I thought you had been away and come home to find them sleeping in your room.

So I think what you are saying is that they are staying in their own room but for some bizarre reason the husband, knowing it was your bedroom, decided to go and have a nap there.

Have i got that right now?

In which case that is beyond bizzare. I would have woken him and told him to get his behind out of my bed and asked him what he was doing 🙂

Julia978
Level 2

Yes this is correct sorry I can see why it wasn’t clear now!

yes I should have but it was 1am I had gotten back from the bar and just froze with shock my friend lives next door so it wasn’t a huge inconvenience 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Julia978

The only thing I can think is that he is a sleepwalker or went to the bathroom and half asleep went into the wrong room (thought he would have noticed his new wife wasn't there).

What bad communications and stand out demands did they have that made you worry about them as guests ?

@Julia978 @Helen3 @Cathie19, or passed out drunk...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Read on @John1080  ...... @Julia978 has already confirmed he was sleep walking 🙂

@Helen3, ahha! Stopped reading at this point ha! Will have to read on now! 

Yes @John1080, LOL. For that could be a real possibility, as the listing is only stumbling distance from bars (in listing). But with the light on he sounded disoriented so both your possibility and @Helen3‘s sleep walking are top contenders! All my past Singaporean or Johor Bahru guests have been very lovely, kind and with excellent language skills.

@Julia978, not excusing the behaviour, but if they are on their honeymoon, he sounds more like a disoriented, overtired and overwhelmed young man who may have been celebrating too much!  Probably very embarrassed if he remembers....

Same thoughts here @Helen3

Justine106
Level 3
Washington, DC

“I knew from the start they were going to be those stand out bad guests...” 

its an interview process. Did they not have any reviews of their own? 

Personally, chuck them out! Reimburse and demand the service fee back from AirBnB. Good luck though.