Host is asking us to load our laundry

Stephenie3
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

Host is asking us to load our laundry

When we booked we were charged a $30 cleaning fee. I just received the checkout details from the host for tomorrow and in it he asks us to load and start the dishwasher (we didn't eat here so that's not an issue) and load and start the laundry.

We were two people. One in a bed and one on an air mattress. So that's two sets of sheets, two sets of pillowcases, two duvets, two towels, one floor mat, one hand towel and one face cloth. The laundry is two different colours (grey and white). This is in a condo and the machine is small. Plus you don't mix whites and greys.

There was no information on the listing and when we booked that we'd be expected to load and run a dishwasher and load and run a washing machine. It seems odd to me to charge a $30 cleaning fee and also not say in the post that you're expected to do the laundry.

I should note that no one lives here. It's a condo that is solely used for AirBnB rentals. They have cleaners that come anywhere between 11 am and 4 pm between when people check-out and the next guests check-in.

Edit: I just heard back from the host's assistant. She said it is not mandatory and she will modify the language on the check-out details to reflect that it's not mandatory.

35 Replies 35
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You have hit the heart of hosts'  definition  and expectation about the guest cleaning up.  Some hosts have long and demanding cleaning expectations and some guests think leaving a home trashed is ok.  Somewhere in the middle is a host that cleans to a high standard and a guest that leaves a home tidy.  Personally, I would ask for tidying up, and if needed due to bugs and mice, trash removed.  Other than that, I don't trust that others will meet my high cleaning standards.

Agreed completely. I'm a very clean guest. When we got here the place wasn't as clean as I would have cleaned it. The dining chairs were full of crumbs so they clearly were not vacuumed, the caulking at the bottom of the shower stall is black (sign of mold), and the sheet I grabbed had a small clump of long black hair on it. This unit is barebones - they only left a couple rolls of toilet paper (what would happen in the 3 nights we were here if any of us got some kind of gastro issues) and they didn't leave any extra garbage bags. I had to go to a store and get bags so that I could change the bathroom garbage (I wanted to do so because of feminine waste).

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I think the part you need to consider is the 'they have cleaners'. Not sure how / who you expect to do anything for less than say $30 - vacuum, make bed, towels, clean etc. If you consider travel plus doing the job you are probably paying below min wage. 

It's up to a host to determine how much they give to their cleaners. The cleaning fee may not be 100% of what is provided to a cleaner - it may be less, it may be more. Who knows. Unless the unit was trashed I could clean this unit in less than an hour. It's very small and it is bare bones. If it was trashed they charge $200 to cover that. How much they pay their cleaners for how much effort they exert is not the issue though.

Having to do the laundry was not detailed in the listing, it wasn't mentioned in the agreement, and it only came up the afternoon before checkout when they provided checkout instructions. Take for example if you have a 6 am flight - are you supposed to get up and do the bedding laundry? Unless specified it's assumed that the host takes care of cleaning, especially if you're charging a cleaning fee.

If they want guests to clean the bedding to help out their cleaning staff then they most likely are overburdening their cleaners by making them clean several units in too short a time frame and for not enough money. That's something the host needs to resolve, not the guest, and certainly that information about their cleaning requirements needs to be stated up front.

I have been to plenty of AirBnBs where the cleaning expectations are stated up front. I've never been asked to wash the bedding and there's always been a cleaning fee that was charged up front.

As mentioned in my edit they've since updated the language based on my feedback to reflect that running the dishwasher and doing the laundry is not mandatory.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stephenie3   Your points are quite valid. I have a son-in-law who sometimes travels on business and he told me he also resents being asked to strip the bed and start the laundry, or take one or two nights garbage out to the dumpster. Like you, he's a clean guy, doesn't make a mess, and wouldn't leave wet towels all over the floor or a bunch of dirty dishes for someone else to wash (my daughter has him well-trained :-).  I agree that he shouldn't be required to do housekeeping duties when he has meetings to attend, planes to catch, etc, especially when he's paid a cleaning fee, isn't booking bottom-of-the-line accomodations, and doesn't leave a mess behind him. And certainly if those things are expected of guests, it needs to be mentioned up front when booking.

Exactly. Thank you.

What's really interesting to me is that looking at his profile it appears that this host owns many, if not all, of the other units in this building and is using them all as AirBnBs. He seems to be running it like a hotel.

The unit is bare bones. For 4 nights, 3 days there was only 2.5 rolls of toilet paper. Now typically that should be enough for two people for that period of time but if someone had some sort of gastro issue (it happens) they would be caught without enough toilet paper. There also was no replacement bag for the bathroom garbage. I had to go out and get more bags. If you have women staying as guests you need to provide bathroom garbage bags - especially if there is already one bag in the garbage ready for you when you get there as you've set the expectation that you want people to use a bag in your garbage. It's either I leave my feminine products every day stinking up the washroom, or I flush them down the toilet potentially killing your plumbing and you charging me for it, or you provide garbage bags. Like I said, I got my own bags and tie up the garbage every day.

The checkout details that were provided today stated:

"Hi there,

You are checking out tomorrow at 11 unless you paid for late checkout. We hope our place met your expectations, if there’s anything to improve please let us know in the private feedback & please report any damages or broken things so we can fix it before the next guests arrive 🙂

Before you checkout:

1. [Address Redacted] : Please put your card/fob back in the mailbox
2. Please put your used dishes in the dishwasher and start a cycle, we will take it from there.
3. Please put the used laundry in the washer and start a cycle, we will take it from there.

That's it! 🙂

Notice : Airbnb review system is different than traditional review/scoring systems. Most people think 4 out of 5 stars is a good/positive review, however, in Airbnb's system a 4-star review is considered a negative review and if my average falls under 4.5 my listing will be suspended. Please do not take this lightly.

Thanks for staying with us!"

I don't really appreciate the low-key guilt trip about the star rating and the consequences of a lower than 4.5 star rating. If you get a lower than 4.5 star rating that's on you as a host, it's not on the guest (barring any kind of extreme circumstance like a horrible guest that trashes the place of course).

The other thing that really irritated me was that the thermostat was set so that a user couldn't set it past 20. Now keep in mind that a thermostat only registers the temperature at the location of the thermostat, so some parts can be colder than that and some parts can be warmer than that. This unit has very high ceilings and it was very cold at night on the air mattress. They were only helpful and stopped giving me the run around until I uploaded video proof privately to YouTube and gave them the link and also told them that the city's landlord tenant act itself requires landlords to maintain a minimum temperature of 21. What's interesting is that I read reviews on some other of their units and I read another review that talked about how their thermostat was set in such a way that they couldn't raise it and they also were freezing.

Looking at other people's reviews if anyone says anything negatively about their experience or gives a lower rating the host responds so harshly. It's a shame that you can't reply to a host's reply of your review. I'm glad I took photos and videos of the place since I feel like my review will probably cause some sort of false retaliatory reply from the host.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stephenie3  In the future, you might do well to read through the reviews on a place, how the host responds to negative comments ( defensively and attacking, or conversely saying that they'll look into the cause for the complaint and remedy it if need be, altho what you may not realize is that there are many guests who actually lie about a place just so they can claim some bogus refund), and to stay away from listings where the host is basically a property manager with tons of listings. Private suites in homes where the host also lives, separate buildings on properties where the hosts also live in another dwelling, etc, are more likely to care more about their guests, give more personalized attention, and be happy and appreciative if the guests are polite, respect house rules, and don't leave a mess or damages behind them, without expecting guests to do the laundry, etc. In fact, most of those hosts prefer that the guests leave the bedding on the bed, so they can easily check for stains that might have to be pre-treated prior to washing.

As far as what the host wrote about the reviews- what many guests are unaware of, because Airbnb does not inform them, is that when guests go to review, it is worded for guests in a way that the guest is led to believe that 3*s is "as expected", 4*s is good, and 5*s is for something that far exceeds expectations. But then Airbnb turns around and threatens hosts with delisting if their overall rating falls below 4.7.  So it's a very flawed, untransparent, and unfair review system. While there are definitely some hosts out there whose accomodations are unacceptable, and they should be marked down, there have been hosts who have 100 great reviews from very pleased guests and then have their ratings tanked by one guest who either has an axe to grind (they booked for 1 and showed up with 3 and were made to pay for the extra guests, they threw a big party and trashed the place, and had their security deposit docked, etc) or actually thought they were giving a good review when they marked 4*s without realizing that the host would, in fact, be punished for that rating.

So, many hosts, myself included, have had to start educating guests about how hosts are affected by reviews. Most of my guests have been shocked when I tell them that Airbnb considers anything less than a 4.7 average to be grounds for removal from the platform and ask why Airbnb doesn't tell them that. Good question, and one that hosts have been asking Airbnb for a long time, met with silence.

I would never ask a guest to give me a 5* review, and it's not at all comfortable to have to even mention it to guests, but until Airbnb tells guests that a 4* review will lead to a host being delisted (or count a 4* review as good), letting guests know how the review ratings are applied to hosts seems to be necessary. Most of my guests have actually thanked me for letting them know- some say they gave a previous host 4*s when the place and the host were fine and if they'd known, they'd have rated 5*s.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 Spot on as usual.  

The reviews for this unit were good. It wasn't until just this weekend that I realized this building was being run like an AirBnB hotel and that the host owns a lot, if not all, of the units. I booked this place some four months ago. A lot of the reviews though are basing it off of how amazing the location is though. A place isn't all about the location - it's about the location, the price, the cleanliness, how the host is, any hidden charges, etc.

Looking at the reviews for other units most of the reviews are positive but some of them are negative and they resonate with me. From now on I'll only be booking someone's actual home, or a room in their home, and if I can't find any I will book a hotel. I now know to check and see if they own multiple properties and read the reviews on all their properties. I won't be booking again with someone who owns multiple properties that all look exactly the same as each other and are devoid of so many things that you need.

That's interesting about the rating system and seems like some horrible business practice. I could see good owners getting burned too easily. Unfortunately I can see bad owners also getting off easily because of basically threatening people. Get everything in writing and take photos. I dislike the whole "how the host reviews me is dependent on how I review the host" thing.

I don't think this guy is deserving of a horrible rating, but I don't think he's deserving of five stars. I would have given him a 4 star rating but he probably will make some ridiculous reply about me that are lies and I will have no way to defend myself. I'm torn about what to do.

@Stephenie3   You're totally right- reviews should be honest, from both sides, it's not a tit-for-tat situation. But you do know that the reviews are blind- the host can't see your review until he posts his, and vice-versa. That's to make "revenge reviews" not possible. Now, the host can always respond to your review, deny everything you've written, call you crazy, etc. But in most cases, that just makes the host look bad to future prospective guests. If you've got a string of good reviews as a guest, and one outlier, most hosts will see through that, just like  most guests can see that if a host has a lot of great reviews talking about how clean the place was, and how responsive the host was, and then one that says the exact opposite, guests would hopefully realize that the guest who gave the "off" review is probably "off" in some way themselves.

Hosts will also sometimes cross-reference reviews- if all your hosts have said you were a great guest and one says you left a big mess, damaged things, etc, I'd go to that host's profile to see how they reviewed their other guests. Sometimes you find that the host actually gave bad reviews and defensive, snarky responses to a lot of their guests. So then I'd figure that the host is the difficult one, not the guest.

Good to know, thank you! I appreciate the clarification.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephenie3 Unfortunately you have stayed in the kind of place which is becoming all too common - the apartment run by a faceless landlord, devoid of  personal touches and bearing no relation to the original Airbnb concept of sharing somebody's home.  It's not clear to me whether you read the previous reviews before you booked but it does highlight how important it is to read everything in the description before hitting the "book now" key.  Please review this place honestly for the benefit of future guests and if the host leaves a squawky, defensive reply remember that it says more about him than it does about you.

Yes this place is nothing like the AirBnBs I've stayed in before. I've only ever rented a room or someone's actual home before. The reviews for this place were all really good. I didn't realize until once we got here that the host owns many units in this building. That's when I started to read the reviews for the other units. I would say 95% of the other reviews are good but what is interesting is that the bad reviews actually resonate with me. Usually when I see a restaurant or a place with 95% of the reviews being amazing I feel comfortable going to that place. In this instance though I actually agree with the bad reviews I read. All the other units look like cookie cutters of each other, even the same decor and kitchen. It's the first time I'm experiencing this type of AirBnB.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Stephanie

Why should a host handle or touch your soiled intimate laundry? Yuk!