Host is extorting money!

Jacqueline668
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Host is extorting money!

I’m wondering if anyone knows the penalties for a host that tries to extort money? We booked, confirmed and paid for a house in Pucon Chile for the 2020 eclipse. Six months after we made the booking, the host demanded double the amount and threatened to cancel if we did not pay the extra amount.

I’ve asked Airbnb to arbitrate but so far there has been no action whatsoever. I’ve read that penalties are nominal. The host has already moved the booking to another site. 

We are disappointed in this lax policy and in Airbnb. There are obviously very good reasons for a host to cancel, to extort money is not one of them.

Any insight into help, lawsuits that have been filed or anything else would be much appreciated.  

1 Reply 1
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jacqueline668 

Uh, sorry for your trouble 😞 Your host obviously forgot to timely adjust his price for this event but this is not the excuse and is not your fault. He should honor your reservation anyway. 

There is nothing Airbnb or you can do to force someone to host you against his will.

Airbnb can cancel your reservation on your host's behalf, charge them 50$ for cancellation, block those dates on his calendar, give him automated bad review or delist him from Airbnb.

But, as you said he has already listed on another booking platform and will cover his loss with a higher price.

Anyway, you should not cancel from your end or you will lose service fee so be persistent until Airbnb doesn't cancel this booking and refund you all the money.

Here are different ways to contact Airbnb

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245