How can I review a guest that never arrives and cancels?

Answered!
Candee0
Level 8
Oceanside, CA

How can I review a guest that never arrives and cancels?

My guest canceled late in the evening she was supposed to arrive. No explanation. 

But airbnb expects me to leave a review, this was their request:

You can leave a review for your guest even though the trip was cancelled. We won’t share your review until after Macey leaves feedback for you. 

I don't want to check the boxes because she was never here! It would be nice to be able to just post a simple 'this guest never checked in and canceled the evening of the booking'.

Is there anyway around those boxes? Does a host get dinged if they don't leave a review?

I had two of these this month. I don't really mind since I got paid anyhow. 

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

Yes, @Candee0 best not to leave a review as long as the guest didn't leave you one as the guest then will get a notification that you have left a review asking the guest to leave one in order to read yours.

They might leave you a less than 5 star review so no reason to risk anything 🙂

Best, Sandra 

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Candee0

This is one of the biggest annoyances about the review system. I always suggest that you call Airbnb CS and ask them to walk through the review process with you. Ask them how they think you should rate a guest on cleanliness or house rules when they never stepped foot in your neighborhood. Suggest that you give them a 1 star for simplicity and ruin the guest’s track record with Airbnb. You will need to indicate a star rating to move forward and complete the review. Maybe if enough people call and CS realizes how misguided the process is, then something will change?

Hi, not to mention, i lost my superhost status becouse of this! A guest gave me 1star rewiev, but she never came to apartment, and my superhost status went! :(((((

@Candee0:
We typically do not leave a guest a review when they cancel because of the star dilemma. We can't honestly give them a "1" or a "5."

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Candee0 

I agree with @Emilia42 ,do what she said if you have the time or energy.

Or just ignore it, and if they bothered to leave one for you then you do it.

"The guest cancelled, never met them or have no idea how they are like guests"

@Candee0    

Only problem with that is I heard if a host does not leave a review they cannot respond to a guests review.

Anyone know if that is the case?

Some guests have been known to leave 1 star, even petty feedback because they never arrived and didn't get a refund,  if you can't review them that is a killer and looks bad with no allowed response from the host.

If no response allowed is the case I would give them 5 stars (1 star for communication) and say:  Pinch of salt: The guest cancelled before arrival, never met them, have no idea what they are like, but nevertheless Airbnb obliges me to review them so I have given them the benefit of the doubt and rated them Pass with 5 on cleanliness and rule following and Fail - 1 star for communication because they never notified me  that they were not arriving".

Hi @Ange2 🙂

I just had a guest that left me a review and I didn't leave a review. Still the little reply box is there meaning I can leave a reply even though I didn't review. Nice to know. I have heard the same as you but I can confirm that it is possible to reply even if you didn't leave a review 🙂 

@Sandra856    Good to know that. Thank you.

Candee0
Level 8
Oceanside, CA

Thanks to all of you for your replies!  I think I will just not review at all.

Yes, @Candee0 best not to leave a review as long as the guest didn't leave you one as the guest then will get a notification that you have left a review asking the guest to leave one in order to read yours.

They might leave you a less than 5 star review so no reason to risk anything 🙂

Best, Sandra 

I have had one bad review (2 star) from a guy who did not turn up then was peeved as he still had to pay. This lost me Super Host status. A review has to stay, so it's a nasty, lengthy blot that remains & cannot be removed.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Mary673 

I hope you are well and so sorry to hear this. 

I would definitely dispute this review and ask to be taken down as it goes against airbnb’s terms of use. 

1. Given the fact that the guest did not stay in the apartment at all how could they possibly comment on « cleanliness » « check in » etc. Automatically this violates first term as it’s « do(es) not represent the author’s personal experience... »

2. Due to the fact that the money was not returned as per your cancellation terms, the guest wrote what could only be a retaliatory review « incentivised by the promise of money » or in this case lack of and can in a very indirect way could be seen as extortion. Especially if they requested the full refund first, was rejected and then wrote the review. 

Hope this helps and that you get a reasonable rep.

good luck to you! 

Yadira 🙂

CAABDC61-5023-441F-AD3A-4F3F0CCC9C24.png

Dear Mary, i had same sittuation, lost superhost status for same reason, i am so frustrated!!!!! Why we dont step together against it

If the guest doesn't show or cancels in the last hour, I don't leave a review. That way there are no "dings" on my ratings. They usually don't leave a review, either.