Inquiry from a guest also a host asking for a discount

Answered!
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

Inquiry from a guest also a host asking for a discount

Dear hosts,

I need your input and suggestions about a guest who is also a host  sending me an inquiry asking for a discount. I just received the booking inquiry

The guest inquired my three bedroom house for total six days with 4 guests. The nightly rate is at $207/night while the guest asked for a discount of $150 /night. There are two babies in addition to four adults. The first three days will be just two adults and a baby and the later three nights will be four adults with 2 babies.

What should I reply? Should I click Accept or Decline button? 

1 Best Answer
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Alice595 In my experience, people who are looking for a discount right out of the gate are going to be difficult, inconsiderate guests, and I don't entertain their inquiries. I'm assuming this is just an inquiry, rather than a booking request, since they're trying to haggle with you. If that's the case, you don't need to accept or decline, just send a written response. I would just say something like:

Thanks for your inquiry. We feel that our property is priced fairly for the amenities offered, and we are not able to offer any further discount to our rates.

We wish you the best of luck in finding accommodations, and safe travels to you and your family.

Regards,

Alice

People like this have likely sent the same cookie cutter message to 10 hosts anyways, hoping that someone is desperate enough to bite.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Alice595 In my experience, people who are looking for a discount right out of the gate are going to be difficult, inconsiderate guests, and I don't entertain their inquiries. I'm assuming this is just an inquiry, rather than a booking request, since they're trying to haggle with you. If that's the case, you don't need to accept or decline, just send a written response. I would just say something like:

Thanks for your inquiry. We feel that our property is priced fairly for the amenities offered, and we are not able to offer any further discount to our rates.

We wish you the best of luck in finding accommodations, and safe travels to you and your family.

Regards,

Alice

People like this have likely sent the same cookie cutter message to 10 hosts anyways, hoping that someone is desperate enough to bite.

@Alexandra316 Very good response. I will copy and paste in my response. The guest sent is a booking inquiry. Otherwise, if I accept, there is no discount to be given.

The guest seems to have very good reviews as a host and guest. But I just don't understand why she was asking for about 25% discount. As hosts, we normally set up the price at a level which is a true reflection of the market locally. I believe that my price is very fair.

Thank you very much!

@Alice595 My personal experience is that people who have more reviews and are making requests right out of the gate - particularly those who also host - are demanding and know how to game the system. I would personally likely give this person a wide berth. If you feel your pricing is fair, stick to you guns, for sure!

Can not agree more. We added to the House Rules on all our listings: "Haggling will result in a denial of hosting." Works great, no more questions for discounts.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alice595  I think that people who ask for a discount are showing disrespect, both to you and your place. Do they go to a restaurant and ask for a discount? At the grocery store, the hardware store?

A guest's financial situation isn't a host's affair or concern. If they can't afford your place, they can look for another that meets their budget.

@Sarah977 What galls me about it is it's likely not even a case of affording it... they just want to save a few bucks.

When I was a newer host, within my first 2 months, I got a request from a Superhost to come stay with me. They gave me a sob story about a water leak and needing a place to stay because they couldn't stay in their home, and she had just quit her corporate job. They got an absolute sweetheart deal because I felt bad for them. Well, I'm sure you know what was really happening: they were renting out their entire lakefront home for $1500 a night for 2 weeks. I found out by accident when I overheard a loud phone conversation in our yard about the guests they had staying. I felt like a complete idiot for falling for it. I do offer discounts, and have comped people nights because I thought their circumstances deserved it, but I've made a vow that I'm never giving a discount to someone with their hand out again.

@Alexandra316 Agreed, it's not that they can't afford it, they just want to try on getting it cheaper. I've read posts here where Airbnb called up a host, pressuring them to refund, in contravention of the host's cancellation policy (the increasing frequency of these posts is disturbing) telling the host that the guest is "poor". Well, poor people don't travel. If they do, they go somewhere they can stay with friends or family, they don't book Airbnbs.

When my daughter and her family were having major renos done on their house, they didn't go book an Airbnb, they rented a 5th wheel for a month and parked it in the driveway.

@Sarah977 and @Alexandra316  The guest told me that they come for sightseeing. Definitely they are not people who cannot afford at the price given in the listing. I saw that the guest has a listing of a studio in NY city for $115/night. In SF Bay Area, the rent is as high as in NY city if not higher.

If the discount is at a reasonable level, I may consider. But for 6 nights stay and asking for 25% discount, it seems to be unreasonable.

@Alice595  The problem is that guests who start out asking for special treatment seem to go on to be difficult guests who then expect more special treatment. It's one thing for a host to offer a discount, quite another for a guest to ask for one, even being so bold as to tell you exactly how much of a discount they want. If a guest asked "As there will only be 2 adults for the first 3 days, I'm wondering if you might consider a small discount?" that might be something to consider, but the way you say the guest has presented her request, I'd not be willing to waver from my regular price.

@Sarah977 Perfectly said!

Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

@Alice595 I agree with everything already said.  I tell people to shop within their budget all the time.  Yvonna (cohost)

@Alice595 

I agree with pretty much everyone has said.

( my only qualification would be - do you charge extra for extra guests beyond 2? If so is that why they're asking for the discount - because I can sort of understand that - with not all of the adults staying the entire time.  I have a similar situation soon - 2 guests booked for 5 nights - they want an extra 3 adults for 2 nights - they can't amend the booking for the extra guests for just a few nights - it has to be the whole trip. So instead I have to make an offer)

If you charge the same rate for the entire listing though . regardless of the number of guests i wouldn't budge an inch

It hasn't happened to me much , but when it does, I send a reply similar to @Alexandra316 .

If I'm feeling particularly cross I send a special offer that is MORE than the original price because I really don't want guests like that in my home - if they've asked for a discount and I dont' give one and they come anyway - there's sure to be trouble. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Alice595 Often other hosts want you to do what they would do... discount, luggage drop off, wine & cheese, whatever. 

But I agree with the others, it is better for you to do what you would do.  AND if this is a group you’re not necessarily keen on (extra babies & changing group dynamics) then maybe the best answer is a quick and firm No Thanks. 

In my situation, when a guest is asking for a discount I remind them that our rates are very favorable in January and on Tuesdays, which tends to remind them that holidays on the weekend during the peak travel times have an up charge. 

Good luck!!

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

I got 2 reservation requests in a row for this weekend that were reallllyyy trying to haggle me down. I already had the lowest in my area for what I was offering, and they will literally not be able to find something cheaper. In spite of that, the two groups informed me of their budgets and wanted to work around them. I would rather remain unbooked then agree to those horribly low and risky rates. If they can't afford to come to my area, they shouldn't. For the first group,  I was surprised a group of 16 wanted to stay 2 nights but couldn't afford my reasonable price. They assumed that the rate Airbnb showed didn't include fees. The second one was given a work budget, but it was not very nice of his boss to send him to my area with that type of housing limit, since there was only one roomshare option that would actually work with that budget, and my house has 5 bedrooms. Nice try.