Insurance for my camper

Daniel1948
Level 1
Nashville, TN

Insurance for my camper

We rent out a small camper that is located behind our house. It isn't an RV, it's a small vintage 1960's camper. The guests have to enter our house to use the restroom. 

I'm looking at getting some more insurance to make sure we are covered as much as possible. 

Slice said they don't do campers, Proper said the same thing. I just talked to Allstate (who I have renters insurance through) and they are upping my guest medical to $5000 and liability to $300,000. But it still seems like I may want more? They are offering me a 1 million personal umbrella plan which they will be emailing me later today. 

My question is: Have any of you insured a unique type airbnb? Camper, RV, barn, etc? If so, what have you done to protect yourself?

1 Reply 1

@Daniel1948 - talk to the agents about "casual business" insurance since you live on site - this might not be possible if you are renting instead of being a homeowner.  Think businesses where they work out of their homes and have clients there: therapists who see patients , hairdressers who see clients outside the salon, Mary Kay/Pampered Chef/etc. home-sellers who host parties,  music teachers seeing students for private lessons, etc.  We are with Erie and that's what they suggested as well as the umbrella policy.  They've been great to work with regarding our Airbnb business.(We went to them when State Farm dropped us for doing Airbnb after being with them for over 30 years -  yes, I'm still bitter).  The umbrella is to protect your personal assests from being compromised should Airbnb fail to support you when someone sues. It probably won't protect the camper per se unless the camper is considered an asset - which it might since it MAY qualify as a historic vehicle.  The umbrella policy will not likely cover any damages from guests to the camper itself, but you should ask the agent.  

Make sure you put in your listing, if you haven't already, that guests will need to acknowledge walking to the house  for the bathroom (day and night), this will limit your liability should someone fall out of the camper or trip coming inside.