Long-term hosting - dings & harder to meet the "basic requirements" and "Superhost" requirements

Marjorie33
Level 2
Los Gatos, CA

Long-term hosting - dings & harder to meet the "basic requirements" and "Superhost" requirements

I mostly host 90 day rentals. I've noticed this makes it difficult to reach some of the targets. When someone is staying with you for 90 days, they ask many more questions and we need to make sure this is a good fit for both of us.

1) As they are 90 days people ask a lot of questions. My listing states no pets, but people often reach out to ask about pets. when I say no, I get dinged for declining the reservation.  I think there is a loophole to respond in converstion only and no officially decline, but I'm not sure that always works either. I don't think we should be dinged for things we clearly say we won't accept. I don't mind people asking though, I would too. 

2) Related to above, via conversations not everyone who sends a message ends up being interested. I don't accept once I know this isn't the best fit for them - or that they are not interested. This results in another ding - my acceptance rate is only 80% and I've never turned anyone down who wanted to stay with me. Most common reason for people not staying with me me is I won't allow their pet(s) and location as I'm in the mountains and in the SF Bay area. I'm honest about traffic and ask where they work. I'd prefer they have correct expectations up front, especially as they are with me for 90 days.

I hope Airbnb will look at this for those of us who mostly host 60-90 days and revise the policy to make it more fair for long-term hosts. 

Thanks,

6 Replies 6
Mohammed134
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

That's very interesting points,.

Recently I was concerned with my Superhost stats to ensure I can maintain this status and I'd reached out to the Customer Support team and the case manager was lovely and they actually found some of my data to be incorrect and therefore it was adjusted right away.

I think in your case your are providing general feedback to them so it's always good to send your feedback to the Customer Support team directly for future consideration.

Thanks,

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Marjorie33   Hey Marjorie. 

Are you talking about when someone sends an inquiry? 

When someone sends me one, I answer their question, and only hit "accept" if I know they are going to book with me. If for whatever reason I don't think they will then I never hit "decline" I just let the inquiry expire, and that has not changed my acceptance rate. Not sure if that's what you are referring to or not 🙂 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Marjorie33 

Your story supports the general complaints of this board - Airbnb is not great for long-term stays.

Airbnb concentrates on short-term stays. There's too much financial risk using Airbnb for long-term stays.

Airbnb can return your money to the guest and you are out of a lot of money.

@Marjorie33 

If you are fairly certain the guest is no longer interested in staying with you..... as a host you lose nothing by clicking on accept since they won't book with you anyway. It's what I always do and I usually send a follow up message saying the guest can just let it expire and wish them luck in finding a place that better suits their needs. I save my declines for the types that I think will try to book with me even though I don't want them anywhere near my home. 

Marjorie33
Level 2
Los Gatos, CA

Thank everyone!

@Jessica0& Henry - when I pre-approve, it blocks others from being able to book for a few days. I ran into that issue too. 

@Marjorie33 

I think you are mis-informed; Pre-approving does not block others from being able to book your home. You can actually pre-approve multiple guests at the same time. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/838/what-is-a-preapproval