My listing was suspended after reporting party to Airbnb

Faith147
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

My listing was suspended after reporting party to Airbnb

I'm a new host and last night we had a guest stay in our property and host an unauthorized party. We reported the incident to Airbnb (big mistake!) to create a paper trail. Now airbnb has suspended our listing "due to the ongoing safety investigation" and refuses to give us the contact information for the agent in charge of investigation. Apparently, we're only allowed to speak to them when they initiate the conversation and we've been told that we're going to be given updates every three days. 

I've made it clear to them that there is no safety issue, I just wanted the unauthorized guests off my property. It seems to me that as the host I'm being penalized for guests breaking house rules. 

Has anyone had this issue before and can give me insight into the process? They're being very secretive about this "investigation" and won't give me a timeline in terms of how long the investigation will take and thus the ongoing suspension. Is there anything we can do about it?

25 Replies 25

Define party? Was there a large group of unauthorized persons or did the guests that booked it just stay up late and drink? We recently had a very large unauthorized group stay at our property, we didn’t know there was a party until after the guest left. Filed a claim with Airbnb on some damages and got it taken care of. I’m not sure why they would suspend the listing and make you wait that seems odd.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

What exactly is an 'unauthorized party'?  Is this the same as a 'home invasion' or 'trespassing by a horde of total strangers' (to the host at least)? Does the word  'party' in this context means a gathering by an excessive and unexpected amount of strangers descending on one's property and causing damage or a problem with neighbors? If so, isn't this a criminal act (if not sanctioned by the host) by total strangers and is a matter for the local police force to handle such cases? 

Conversely, are  'authorized parties' ever allowed? Is there such a thing?

In the above two cases, one is treated as the fault of the host and in the second as the host being the victim thus compensated for damages which comes from the fees that Airbnb collects from every other host. Be interesting to see why such divergent decisions were made by the same entity (i.e. Airbnb CS Department). 

My standard question to Airbnb: Is this crazy 'Host Guarantee' / 'Air Duck'* business worth it?  

P.S. err 'Air Cover'*

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the booking is cancelled then you just go over to the listing to ensure those at your listing leave @Faith147  .

I'm sorry you're having issues with Airbnb - perhaps try them on social media . 

Faith147
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

It was booked for 5 guests, 12 showed up as picked up by our doorbell camera. We don't allow any events/parties on our property. We decided to contact airbnb when our backyard camera picked up someone *bleep* on the fence and another messing with the window. Again, I reiterated to airbnb that there was no safety concern, I just didn't want things to escalate and I'm creating a paper trail. Those guests have left with no issue, which airbnb is aware of.

The next day they suspend my listing, which after several attempts of trying to contact airbnb, I was told was because of the investigation over the safety concern. Because I can't initiate contact with the safety team, I have so many unanswered questions that they haven't addressed.

Thank you @Helen3! I think that might be the only way to get their attention

Michael5689
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

Just based on your explanation...did you have the backyard cameras clearly disclosed ahead of time in your listing?
Mike

Yes, it's mentioned twice in the listing. And I know that they're aware of it because they pointed at the camera, made faces at it and then proceeded to pee anyway. 

Just a hunch that it's related to that since they are calling in a "Safety" review.  If you mentioned specifically what it recorded that probably initiated some more review too.  It may have been the straw that broke the camels back for you, but that sort of recorded behavior will set off additional alarm bells at AirBNB.  It may be a better future strategy to just push the exceeding the max number of guests angle with support and not mention what really sent your over the edge.  You may have done everything correctly and to the letter of the regulations, but they are going to be extra careful in this case.

Also, just in case you haven't already, might want to make sure that it is clearly disclosed in the "Safety" section of your listing and not just the regular text descriptions.

One thing that seemed to go a long way to making my guests more comfortable is that I bought indoor cameras that can swivel toward the wall AND I turn them towards the wall before guests arrive before turning them off.  It still doesn't satisfy everybody and there are still some guests that get out ladders to unplug the cameras (and forgot to plug back in!)

@Michael5689  I must be missing something, what is the purpose of having indoor cameras that are turned off and turned toward the wall? 

Indoor cameras are firstly much more of a privacy issue than outside cameras, but if you are facing cameras toward the wall and turning them off, why even have them?  The reason for having external cameras is to prevent extra guests, loud and disturbing activity outside and if/when that happens to have video evidence to prove it.

It's a vacation rental hours away from our main home and I don't have a good house manager to take care of the place. I've diagnosed leaks before, determined if a smoke alarm called for the fire company and allowed service people into the home remotely when it's vacant.  I turn them back on and swivel back around when people are not renting.  They are on home automation and their own camera controlled on/off switches so guests are doubly protected if they end of turning the camera on by mistake.

@ Michael5689 now that use of cameras I understand and the respect for your guests privacy is implicit. H

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Stephanie  FYI this is what we were talking about in the other thread about Airbnb's so called anti party policy.  Airbnb is still punishing hosts and giving the benefit of the doubt to guests who break house rules and laws, as I think relieving yourself in public is probably some kind of misdemeanor. Really disapointing.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I appreciate the tag @Mark116 - right over to the policy people with this one, too.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Mark116 until very recently a law existed in Australia which allowed a male to urinate against the outside wheel  of any carriage On long trips through Australia do not be surprised to see men doing so outside , generally against a fence,  as in some areas public toilets are few and fences are many . Urine by the way is sterile when it leaves the human body . Lemon trees like it apparently. Lighten up people. There is no law against urinating against a fence in a private home , it may not be desirable depending on circumstances H

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Faith147, its not illegal for a bloke to *bleep* against a fence on private property . What is illegal is you filming him do it . If it was shared property or seen from the street then it probably comes under 'exposure 'or something but otherwise it is just a bloke doing a bloke thing.Call of nature. I do think cameras are causing a lot of problems and people with them inside the house are really taking liberties. I did think getting an outdoor camera was a good idea but after hearing about all the spying on guests and the problems caused I have changed my mind. Some things I do not need to see. A persons privacy is just that . It seems to have become a free for all with hosts being outraged by others behaviour which frankly is not ever their business.H