Need advice on writing review about disgusting guest

Answered!
Suzanne313
Level 2
Holywood, United Kingdom

Need advice on writing review about disgusting guest

Good morning!

I hope someone can help me out with advice. I am new to Airbnb as a host, and have just hosted my 4th lot of guests, most of whom have been amazing to date. My place was booked by 2 guys, one of whom has 9 positive reviews from other hosts (although I think most of these were for when he was travelling with his family).

When I went around to clean the house, it was all pretty much fine, except that one of the guys had taken one of facecloths and ejaculated into it, and left it encrusted in the bottom of the shower unit. I don't know what other hosts' experiences are, but I think that's pretty disgusting. 

I don't know whether to say something, or just not leave a review. I'm new to Airbnb and don't want to look like I'm a 'difficult host'. What happens if I don't leave a review,will the guest's review be published (although I don't know if their review will be positive or negative)? Or should I flag this up with the guest in a private message?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Many thanks,

Suzanne

1 Best Answer

@Suzanne313

I agree with @Marzena4 that as a warning to fellow hosts you should write something to reflect the guests were "not good" but not go into any details. If it were me, I'd say something like "Guest and friend did not handle amenities provided by host with respect or care. I would not welcome these guests into my home again." 

When I'm planning to leave a not-so-nice review, I always write a draft and wait till I get notice that the guest has reviewed me first before I post mine or I wait until day 13 after checkout to post it. 

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Be careful, @Suzanne313, not to reveal too much of some private stuff about the guest because then you will give them a reason to have the review removed.

But do write a review being brief, like "the guest's cleanliness might improve"

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Suzanne313
Level 2
Holywood, United Kingdom

Thanks Marzena, I agree, I would have no intention of mentioning specifics in a review, I just wasn't sure whether to leave a review at all or not. I think your suggestion sounds good. Thank you for replying.

Do leave it, @Suzanne313, because it is the only way we can support each other (I mean hosts).

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Suzanne313

I agree with @Marzena4 that as a warning to fellow hosts you should write something to reflect the guests were "not good" but not go into any details. If it were me, I'd say something like "Guest and friend did not handle amenities provided by host with respect or care. I would not welcome these guests into my home again." 

When I'm planning to leave a not-so-nice review, I always write a draft and wait till I get notice that the guest has reviewed me first before I post mine or I wait until day 13 after checkout to post it. 

Hi @Jessica-and-Henry0 thank you for your reply. This is really good advice and I like your approach as to how to word the review, I might well use this! Great tip on waiting until day 13 too. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

Suzanne

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Really?  Guests leave all kinds of bodily fluids/dirt. Be glad he left it in the shower. Toss it in the washing machine, no harm no foul. 

Suzanne313
Level 2
Holywood, United Kingdom

Hi @Lisa723, thanks for your reply and for your different perspective! I understand that guests will leave this kind of stuff, but as with my reply to Gordon below, I think it is the scenario that I find objectionable. 

I threw the facecloth out, would you want to wash your face with it? Yuk.

Thanks for challenging my view though, maybe I need to be thicker skinned!

Appreciate your reply:)

Suzanne

@Suzanne313 you might as well throw every used washcloth away if you feel that way about it. Who knows what parts of their bodies people have washed with it? That's what it's for, and that's what your washing machine is for. Suppose the guy had rinsed it out (as would have been better etiquette)-- you would never have known. In my opinion this is a case for private feedback, not a poor review. It may not even have occurred to him that you would recognize the substance and be offended. He may have thought he was being thoughtful by keeping your sheets clean. Who knows.

Dixie7
Level 10
Dunsborough, Australia

Totally agree with you @Suzanne313 . I certainly would not appreciate that either ... to me, it shows little respect and I would have to make some reference to it in my review. I like the suggestion of @Jessica-and-Henry0 . 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Would you have been any less angry had said fluids been deposited on your bedsheets (as is very normal) to penetrate (poor use of word there) through to your mattress protector? 

Suzanne313
Level 2
Holywood, United Kingdom

Hi @Gordon0, thanks for your reply and I appreciate hearing a different perspective from mine - useful to guage the accuracy of my own! I take your point completely, but I don't think you can compare as the it's the scenario that is different. I understand that people everywhere have different norms and standards of behaviour that they think are acceptable, I've worked all over the world for the last 23 years and I understand that. Some people think it is acceptable to pick their noses in public, some think it's okay to urinate in a public place. Finding bodily fluids on bedsheets is to be expected, I think ejaculating on a facecloth and leaving it for your host to find is not.

I'm not angry in this scenario, just wondering how to word the review. Would I want this guest in my house again - no. Would other hosts want this guy in their house - I suppose guaging by replies opinion is mixed. My question was really how to flag up to other hosts that some hosts might not want this type of guest in their house.

No doubt there will be other scenarios like this as I host other guests. I have to say for the most part though, that being an Airbnb host has confirmed my view that most people, no matter where they are from are really lovely, and respectful of other people's property :).

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

Suzanne

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

Hi @Suzanne313, I’m a bit on @Gordon0‘s side of the court of opinion here. I’ve had all sorts of bodily fluids found. Literally newborns and mother’s milk etc etc. Just keep your gloves on till everything is sorted .... Also consider: if not body fluids, was there rubbish / mess in unusual places, eg used band aids in the shower, can also be a downer. Are we talking cleanliness or hygiene?

You wouldn’t know if it was the booked guest, unless only one male... yes it’s nasty, but not the worst a guest can do. It might have been an oversight to not rinse it out.... but had they, would you have treated it with the caution it deserves?

I treat ALL linen as in need of thorough washing, because even if something looks clean, I don’t know if they might have something like impetigo (school sores) which is infectious!  

They definitely do not deserve five stars, but consider the rest of their stay.

Look at the big picture: was everything else okay? Yes / no?

If they were friendly, respectful etc, then don’t condemn them. It’s a learning curve.

If they deserve four or five stars in all other areas, then give them. But if you are really appalled, then rate them low with only a three stars. If the bedding was BAD, or towels wrecked by hair dye or blood or “?” Then give them between a three and a one star. When asked to recommend them, click “NO”.

With your review, always. Over all areas of the star system. - except the omission....

Bouquets and compliments where needed, eg excellent communication, respectful of noise levels etc. A good host will read between the lines.

Alternatively state that as he is obviously new to independent Airbnb travel, I do like my home to left clean as found.  I wish them well with their travels and their learning... “

We all make mistakes. Your biggest can be by responding emotionally. But for self preservation, always ensure good infection control measures for yourself when cleaning.

I hope this helps.

🙂

Cathie

Hi Cathie,

Thanks for your and detailed reply! There are lots of good suggestions that I will take on board. As I say I am new to Airbnb hosting so it's very useful to be on this forum to guage what other hosts discern is the norm and hear about what scenarios they have come up against and how to handle reviews. Good point about considering each area of the review point system separately.

I agree about the linen, I wash everything after each guest, even if towels have not been used. If I were the guest, I would like to think that eveything in the house I had rented was clean and had not been there from a previous guest's stay. 

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it!

Suzanne

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

Just make sure you protect yourself for infection control. You can’t be too careful, and you will be more robust cleaning if there is a barrier between you and “that”! Lol..