Next steps after asking guests to leave

Jamie234
Level 2
Redmond, OR

Next steps after asking guests to leave

Hi all,

I've been hosting for a year and a half, and we had our first bad experience with a guest yesterday. Our Airbnb unit is the lower level of our home, a full apartment with its own entrance, etc. The guests locked themselves out of the apartment (without their phones) and walked around to our primary residence to try to get ahold of us. Neither my wife or I were home, so the husband (against his wife's pleas) decided to get into one of our unlocked cars, open our garage door, enter into our private residence, and open up the apartment from the host side. Mind you they were probably only locked out for 20 mins total.  They fessed up to everything and I let them know they had broken Airbnb's terms of service, and of course our own trust and privacy. I asked them to leave and they gathered their things and left.

My question is what do I do now? They are first time Airbnb guests and don't have any reviews. I'm sure if I open a claim against them they will be blocked from the platform but I've never had to do this before. If you've experienced a similar situation I'd be interested to know how you handled it as a host with Airnbn.

5 Replies 5

@Jamie234  I can't think of a reason to open a claim ("resolution request") against the guest if their intrusion into your property didn't cause any damage or loss. And while you could file a police report for this clear violation of the law, it's probably only worthwhile if you have any remaining concerns for your safety.

What you should do is contact Airbnb to inform them of what happened. You were justified in asking the guests to leave, but it's helpful to get in front of the story in case the guest offers a different account or seeks compensation later. I don't know what action Airbnb will take against the guest, if any, but at the very least Airbnb should terminate the booking as if it were a guest-initiated cancellation so that he is no longer registered at your property. 

I had a guest [name hidden] who stayed at my home longer than the check out date that it says **** checked out by.  She was to check out on a Wednesday but instead checked out on Friday morning around 4:30am.  When you speak with this guest she is very personable and very articulate with great stories.  So you can not help but enjoy speaking with her... then you accidentally find out how many people and animals are really at your home.

How does a host add the extra days she stayed especially if the reservation has already happened?  And Airbnb has already paid for that reservation?

So (#1)  - She remained at my home past her check-out date.  

Does Airbnb have a way to charge the guest for the extended days she remained at the home?  

Also (#2) - On the reservation this guest reserved the home for "2 dogs" and "2 people"  in reality this guest had placed around 76 dogs inside my home not including little puppies;  on my reservation profile it clearly states that the first dog is free but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, ...etc...  is a $25.00 charge.  

What does Airbnb do in a case like this?  

How does Airbnb add the dog fee?

Also (#3)  because of the animals this guest had to hire workers to help her with transporting dogs; feeding; etc... so this guest hired workers/employee's;  took the hinges off my door and broke into my private (no guest usage written in the profile owners garage and owners closet)  the employees stole items from inside  the owners garage and owners closet.

How does Airbnb protect the host and help get back  the stolen items or help to reimburse for the stolen items?

(#4)  What and How does Airbnb go about to help the host when there is damage this guest has caused?

Between the animals and workers they backed right into my garage door; the dogs   had pretty much they had free range of the inside and outside of my home  running around and jumping  up on my couches; chairs;throw rugs;  eating walls; furniture,  the dogs were shedding, peeing, pooing and some where in heat which ended up getting all over my furniture and carpet and throw carpet, the tile on the inside of my home and on the outside of my home.  

What or how does Airbnb have to help the host to get my home free from the smell, clogged pipes, clogged filter on the a/c; my washing machine had hair stuck to the inside of it is there any help from Airbnb for all the damage these dogs have and are costing me to get my home back up to par. Although because of the blood and urine I do not think my upholstered living room couch and chairs and wool throw carpet can be saved. My leather couches have claw marks and bites; my walls have bite marks from the dogs.

I have cords chewed; etc.

The guest claimed she was renting my home with only two dogs and two people.  

She had an RV up at my home; she stayed longer (past) her check-out date.  

I am trying to get home home free from the smells;damage; etc.  

How does Airbnb go about to charge this guest for all the damage she has caused?

How does Airbnb cover the host for opening up her home with open arms only to have  damage this person has caused costing more then that of the current reservation ?

PLEASE ADVISE

PLEASE Help! 

I am totally  beside myself.

M.chelle

*[Personal information hidden for safety and privacy reasons – in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Ricky-B-Crouse0  Please start a new topic for this post, since it has no relation to the original Help topic in this thread. But first, contact Airbnb to open a case - there's a lot going on here (including overstay penalties) that can't be processed through the automated system. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree with @Anonymous there is no claim to make in this situation as there was no damage to your property and nothing I was stolen.

What your guest did was truly outrageous and I cannot understand their thinking on this, they could have just left a note on your car and stayed somewhere nearby to get a drink or food while waiting for your return.

I am a little confused though. Did you not contact Airbnb when this happened to get them to cancel the booking as the guests had broken the T&Cs for your listing. In theory you shouldn't have asked them to leave without having Airbnb cancel the booking.

In your situation if you haven't already called Airbnb, call them now and make sure you send a follow up message on Airbnb to the guests reiterating what had happened. Whether they will

It is up to you as to whether you leave a review. I doubt they would do something like this again, but as a host I would like to be forewarned that the husband seems to have a lack of common-sense and decency when it comes to respecting other people's property. You don't need to open a claim to ask Airbnb to delete these guests profile.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with @Anonymous  and @Helen3  that there is probably no damage claim, but this is a serious breach of privacy.  I am a bit confused, however, you have self-check in with a "smart lock".  Is that a lock box with a key.  Or, is it a coded box?  I was going to suggest you have a plan B if you use a key for guests that lock themselves out.  I actually decided to do that when I locked myself out !!  Just a thought.

As to your review, I assume you will give a thumbs down review with a short explanation of the breach of privacy.  Right?