No reply from guests after 3 messages asking for time of arrival

Answered!
Abigail3
Level 4
Winchester, United Kingdom

No reply from guests after 3 messages asking for time of arrival

I am a Superhost and have never had a guest not turn up before. My guests booked and confirmed 3 weeks ago. I noticed that they had been members for 4 years but with no reviews which I thought a bit odd also no photograph in the thumbnail. I've asked, politely, three times over the last few days at what time of day I should expect them but no joy. Should I wait up till midnight and just go to bed? I live on my own and am now feeling rather nervous. If they don't turn up at all (and they haven't cancelled) will I be paid in full? Thank you in advance to any helpful advice Airbnb Community!

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Abigail3 

Your listing says: check-in time is flexible. I suggest to put at least some limits on it, so guests know they have to arrive before, for example, 10:00 pm. If a guests does not communicate, you can contact Airbnb, then they will try to reach the guest. If the guests does not cancel and also does not show up, you wil be paid as normal. Your cancellation policy is set to "flexible", so if guest cancels there maybe will be some refund (depending on time of cancellation, lenght of stay etc..).

Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated]

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Abigail3I have encountered guests like this as well. Some people may not have Airbnb app on their smart phone and may not check email carefully. You may try all possible communication ways:

(1) Airbnb message

(2) Text message by getting the guest's phone number from Airbnb app. The phone number shows up because it is a confirmed booking.

(3) Calling the phone number on Airbnb app.

You may want to consider to have a lockbox or a digital lock on your door. Then you don't have to wait for a guest's arrival.

You may also write a checkin and checkout time in your House Rule section. And warn guest that a non-responsive guest about checkin and checkout time may result in a cancellation of the reservation.

Abigail3
Level 4

Thank you Alice, yes, I'm REALLY flexible about check in and check out times to help my guests but they've always told me when they are arriving before. My property is 250 years old and listed so I'm not allowed to stick anything on the doors or walls. I will definitely add a House Rule about giving me plenty of notice about arrival times though!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Abigail3 

Your listing says: check-in time is flexible. I suggest to put at least some limits on it, so guests know they have to arrive before, for example, 10:00 pm. If a guests does not communicate, you can contact Airbnb, then they will try to reach the guest. If the guests does not cancel and also does not show up, you wil be paid as normal. Your cancellation policy is set to "flexible", so if guest cancels there maybe will be some refund (depending on time of cancellation, lenght of stay etc..).

Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated]

Abigail3
Level 4

@Emiel1 thank you - good advice - I have now changed my guest arrival window to 10pm! Still waiting - I think they'll be a no show so hopefully will be paid anyway!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Abigail3 We also have a flexible check-in.  Usually, if no one responds to the first 2 messages, I will send a 3rd that says directly, we need to know the arrival time to ensure that the guests will be able to enter the unit and get the keys.  So far, this 'we need to hear from you or you won't get in' has gotten a response except for 1 time, when the guests showed up at 8am, LOL.  

Texting also will usually get a faster answer than through the app, we do this for our US visitors if they don't respond to the messages on the airbnb platform.

Abigail3
Level 4

@Mark116 Thanks Mark! Unfortunately I'm pretty rural and there is no mobile phone coverage in my village so I always communicate through the Airbnb App via internet. Mind you, I shouldn't be pissed as, for all I know, they could have been in a plane crash or something! It will be interesting to see if I ever hear from them again. I guess it happens a lot and I've just been lucky so far!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Abigail3  When you have guests who don't respond, you can contact Airbnb and they will try to make contact with them. I've had to do this about 3 or 4 times and it resulted in the guest responding.

Abigail3
Level 4

@Sarah977 Thank you Sarah. My guest finally got in touch at about 8pm. I felt quite sorry for her. She had gone to a completely different town on the train. She is going to cancel my booking and try and find an ordinary hotel. The thing is I've now lost three nights money. Do you think Arbnb will let me keep the money? I feel it is not my fault if she didn't look at the map properly before she got on the train!?

@Abigail3   Unless you have strict or  moderate cancellation policy, airbnb won't let you keep the money, and even then they sometimes refund the $$ against their own and hosts policies.  

@Abigail3 right now your listing says flexible cancellation.... so if that was 8pm on their checkin day that she cancels then you should get at least the first night and possibly the second, but definitely not the third and if you had a cleaning fee then that never gets paid when a guest cancels without arriving, but it doesn't look like you do

and no, it isn't your fault, but the flexible cancellation lets people make changes fairly easily. If your policy was moderate then you "should" get paid for the whole thing with such a last minute change

"If the guest cancels less than 24 hours before check-in, the first night is non-refundable.

If the guest arrives and decides to leave early, the accommodation fees for the nights not spent 24 hours after the official cancellation are fully refunded."

Abigail3
Level 4

@Kelly149 That's really useful, thank you Kelly! It looks like Airbnb will refund me the first night as you say. I've lost money but it was a genuine mistake on my guests part and we were both polite to each other when she eventually rang, thank goodness. If people behave respectfully I can forgive most things!!

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Abigail3 

I've had four no shows now and every time I've been paid. Twice I've asked Airbnb to contact the guest after days of them not responding to my messages. The guests didn't respond to Airbnb either.  The worse part is that then we are both asked to do reviews. I haven't since there isn't anything to say. But each time I spend 14 days sweating while I wait to see if they will leave a review, especially something negative. Only once has anyone left a review. He thanked me for helping him with his family even though they weren't able to make it. This last no show I actually refunded part of their money through the resolution option. Health problems and then they couldn't figure out how to cancel using their phone. 

It is frustrating!! I hope it works out well for you!

Abigail3
Level 4

@Beth80 Many thanks for sharing that Beth. My guest did eventually contact me and we mutually agreed to a part refund so I wouldn't lose the whole 3 nights. Airbnb have sent me an email saying how much I'll get. As I spoke to my guest in person and we were both polite to each other I think it will work out OK. Yes, like you, I'd rather not review because I'd have to say bad communication and trying to cancel at 8pm on their arrival night so I'm sure it's best if we both don't review. Some guests just forget to review anyway. You don't get penalised as a Host for not reviewing do you? Cheers!