Offering a small partial refund

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

Offering a small partial refund

Hello Everyone:  

I have been hosting since May and have not had any issues at all with any guests. The current guest is also fine, but has been very needy. I don't mind answering questions and encourage guests to ask, so that isn't a problem, but it has pretty much been one thing after another for nearly two weeks. I don't mind, but want to make sure he's satisfied. 

In the beginning, it was to do with directions - mind you, no other guest has had any issues. He did find the place fine, but there was extensive conversation pertaining to the directions themselves a few days before arrival. After that, the guest could not find the washer and dryer, although it is directly in the bathroom, not behind a door or anything. I found this odd, but was polite in saying it wasn't a problem and could happen to anyone.  

Now, he has said one of the toilets got clogged and he plunged it, which seems to have rectified the situation. Today, the newest issue is that the blinds upstairs on the sliding door are jammed. I have explained that I do not mind if he jiggles, tugs or whatever he thinks is appropriate to try to open them, but he doesn't have to feel like he needs to do anything. I have explained that I am away and not able to come take a look, but I really feel perhaps he just doesn't know how to open them.  

He's a pleasant person and has paid a pretty handsome sum for his stay, so I want to make sure he's satisfied and also that he doesn't leave a poor review. Note, he has told me a few times via messages how much he likes the place, but I still feel paranoid about the situation. Therefore, I was thinking of offering a small refund, nothing too large, $100 or under for all the troubles. 

Has anyone done this or considered such a thing? 

Thank You! 

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@John1080 Your continued patience and communication should help you assess whether the guest is experiencing any detriment to his stay because of the sticking blinds.  He may just be keeping you informed that not all is perfect :P.  Don't offer a refund of any kind to avoid a negative review.  It never works.  Instead,  offer to arrange for someone to fix the blinds if the guest experience is impacted by the blinds.  If the guest responds that it is no big deal, then take him at his word.  Make sure ALL communication is through the Air BNB system.  If it is a phone call, then summarize the call on the message system.  This allows the Air BNB staff to see what is going on should it be necessary.  Good luck!

@John1080 I generally don't offer a refund unless the guest explicitly asks for one.

(Spoiler alert: I have not yet given anyone a refund for anything other than a cancellation.)

Sometimes the important thing a guest wants is for things to be a certain way, or to meet a certain standard. For those people, a refund is both slightly insulting and a sign you are not going to fix the problem.

Save the refunds for people who want a refund.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@John, your place is beautiful and way too cheap! Be careful with that. I would not offer a refund. If you do you are insinuating that these are bigger issues then they really are. This guest may just over communicate a bit too much. Instead of a refund I would figure out a way to “thank” him again for being your guest. Will you be back in the area before he leaves? Bring him over a bottle of wine or order him some take out for dinner?

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

Thank you everyone for the solid advice, I very much appreciate it! I really cannot get anyone in there to fix the blinds, as my cleaning service doesn't offer that service for liability, safety and privacy issues, which I agree with. 

Given the other issues, I really feel he just doesn't know how to operate them. And yes, it is hard to tell if he is just being very communicative or complaining a bit. I do feel it is most likely the former, but since I have not had any issues before, I guess I'm just a bit paranoid. 

We live 4 hours away from the cabin, so we aren't able to meet guests or deal with little issues such as these as they arise, which is a problem with remote hosting and a gamble in some ways, but being a well taken care of property and being picky and clearly laying out rules and expectations has assured we have gotten a very good group of people in. 

Thank you again, everyone!