PRICING

Answered!
Carol178
Level 1
Tauranga, New Zealand

PRICING

I am a New Zealand host and my price per night is set at $130 New Zealand dollars. An unknown American host searched for my listing and messaged me that my listing comes up as $250 US per night.  (Didn't think our exchange rate was that good!) I will be missing out on bookings because of this exchange difference.  Can anyone tell me how to get hold of AirBnB to fix this?  Thanks

1 Best Answer
CarlandDiane0
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

@Carol178, here's one way to find out what people see when they see your listing on Airbnb: Sign out of Airbnb, clear the cookies in your browser, and then run a search for properties in Tauranga for dates you know your property is available. This should let you see what potential guests see.

Remember that your cleaning fee and Airbnb's guest service fee (which is different and higher than the service fee it charges us hosts) will be included in that total amount. These can increase a nightly rate substantially. Our rate is $114 US per night. Once you add the one-time cleaning fee and Airbnb fees, that $114 per night amount suddenly totals around $145.

And as you probably know, the dollar currently is strong against NZ currency ($1.44 NZ dollars to $1 US) so if anything your price should look very inexpensive once converted to US dollars. Though something could be screwy with Airbnb's currency converter algorithms.

Finally, if you have Smart Pricing activated, then it's conceivable that Airbnb is asking that much for some more in-demand dates. But Smart Pricing never raises our price by more than $10 a night or so.

Airbnb's NZ support line is +64 4 4880 888

Hope this helps!

Carl and Diane

View Best Answer in original post

54 Replies 54
CarlandDiane0
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

@Carol178, here's one way to find out what people see when they see your listing on Airbnb: Sign out of Airbnb, clear the cookies in your browser, and then run a search for properties in Tauranga for dates you know your property is available. This should let you see what potential guests see.

Remember that your cleaning fee and Airbnb's guest service fee (which is different and higher than the service fee it charges us hosts) will be included in that total amount. These can increase a nightly rate substantially. Our rate is $114 US per night. Once you add the one-time cleaning fee and Airbnb fees, that $114 per night amount suddenly totals around $145.

And as you probably know, the dollar currently is strong against NZ currency ($1.44 NZ dollars to $1 US) so if anything your price should look very inexpensive once converted to US dollars. Though something could be screwy with Airbnb's currency converter algorithms.

Finally, if you have Smart Pricing activated, then it's conceivable that Airbnb is asking that much for some more in-demand dates. But Smart Pricing never raises our price by more than $10 a night or so.

Airbnb's NZ support line is +64 4 4880 888

Hope this helps!

Carl and Diane

I looked at both your listings and see that neither are at anything like that price.

I am intrigued as to why somebody would message you to tell you what your price is in US$?

David

Thanks for the reply.  I too am intrigued - my best guess is maybe the unknown American made a typo 🙂

Thanks for your reply.  I guess I will eventually understand how the pricing etc all works.  Perhaps the unknown American made a typo 🙂

Hey there I have the very same problem! Im a host in Australia. My house is 130 per night but the potential guest said the saw 130 then they saw 146! I think Ive lost the booking completely as I think they thought it was me. It would have bee my very first booking and they wanted to stay for 2 weeks, so Im quite disappointed. I thought maybe they didnt understand the pricing on Air, but it doesnt help me at all when thats what happens.

Sad Face

Cindy

@Cindy243

Prices are shown to me in US$, but I see you have a 20% discount. Also a 2 day minimum, so:

$102 x 2 nights
$204

Special offer: 20% off

-$41

Cleaning fee

$39

Service fee

$26

Total
$228

In AU$ that is about $300 so ties in with $146 a night.
David
Gretchen18
Level 1
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi I have made a mistake on the pricing - I thought the rate asked for on weekend dates I just add an additional amount and not put the total now my listing is way underpriced because instead of the weekends being more expensive it is a tenth of the normal price? Please help how do I change this after pre-approval on a guest 

Cancel the pre approval, change the price.

David
Gretchen18
Level 1
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi David thanks for this but the system has no option for pre approval?

You said you have pre approved? System gives you the option of removing the pre approval if they have not booked.

David
Leila29
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks. I was getting super frustrated that what I was lisiting my price at was so different from what was showing up in my searches. I had expected Air BnB fees and cleaning fees to be added on later. It also extremely difficult to know how to contact Air BnB direct so thanks for the phone number

I share the pain.My listed price per night was $160 but the website shows $260 per night.

no wonder very few bookings for the past 1.5years.

there is no way to get AIRBNB to clarify how we can do the pricing correctly.

AIRBNB does not allow anyone to contact them anymore.

its frustrating !! the nitial years of Airbnb was great!!!!! 

Carol178
Level 1
Tauranga, New Zealand

I've just checked your listing.  It shows at $146NZ (466.72 RM) per night

Finally, i'm glad they fixed it after 5-6 letters