Refine host area.

Tim213
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Refine host area.

Bing a newborn user, it has taken me  day just to figure out the basics.

As a senior with minor mobility issues, it would be very helpful if nearest intersections were listed so hills and bus stops can be identified. For example, there are areas of many cities where a couple of blocks can make a huge difference for travel. 

9 Replies 9
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Tim213

Every listing has a description, scroll down under the reviews and above the map until you find sections: 

The neighborhood .... Location and Getting around ... Map

If you would like to see how the street and neighborhood looks like go to google map / street view.
Ps
I don't understand why ABB moved Location description on the bottom of the page. To me it is not logical .

Thanks Branka & Silvia.

Yes, I navigate that part just fine but it still leaves something to be desired.

Maybe it's just me.

The green circle is half a kilometer wide and in some areas one can go from flat to steep incline in a very short distance which if a bus stop or shopping is up hill by a couple hundred meters it can make a difference when dragging junk along.

Even though I may be familiar with the general area, the nearest intersection would help.

When looking at listed pictures, one can sometime see a recognizable landmark through a window then find it on satelite. I've done that with a few. 🙂

Specific address is not neccessary but just a street would help.

Small detail, I know.

Too fusy?

Probably.        

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I don't know if what you are looking for is possible as an automated system, @Tim213, but such information can be vital to a guest's experience.  I think this is the type of drill down information that the host should be able to address.  You can send an inquiry (not a booking request) to the host requesting some necessary details.  I think this is the type of information that makes this type of lodging superior to hotels and motels.  Granted it is an extra effort on your part, but probably worth it.

Tim213
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Great comments Linda, thank you.

In the “Contact host” panel, it asks for “check in and check out dates.”

As a learning newbie, can a general question be asked of the host without dates?

Often one question leads to a bucket full and I don’t want to be a PIA.

😉

I don't know if you can message a host without dates, but you are not committed to the dates just because you ask some questions.  I've been contacted by potential guests with questions, and appreciate it when they say they're undecided on actual dates, or just getting information, or just starting their planning and not ready to book.

Thanks A, M&M.

I have only made a couple of querying contacts and that is what I did; stated dates were merely a means of opening dialoge..
I just wanted to be sure of the correct protocal as I imagine hosts aren't just sitting on the deck waiting for my questions.

This Community Centre is invaluable, thank you. 

In a word, yes, @Tim213.  You would probably enjoy reading the FAQ in the Help Center.  Go to the Help Center and enter search term, contact host.  You will have several options of articles and get the information you seek.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Tim213 couple of months ago Aibnb had street name of the property stated above the map but then hosts were not happy about it bc there are some short streets with just one or two houses and it was very easy to find them without booking. So ABB removed this info for security reasons.

But I totally understand your point of view and not just yours but also of other guests who travels with small children or big suitcases. That's why we have a picture of our street and we mentioned in our description that we are on the first floor , only 10 stairs from the street level. But, I supose there are many hosts who hides the fact that their ABB is on the third floor without elevator or on the steep street so it would be good to ask them this info in your inquiry. Unfortunatelly it is time consuming for you.

Branka & Silvia…

--short streets with just one or two houses

--guests who travels with small children or big suitcases.

--we mentioned in our description that we are on the first floor

--hosts who hides the fact that their ABB is on the third floor without elevator or on the steep street

All excellent points and from a beginners perspective, reassuring that endless pre-booking questions to a host shouldn’t be considered time wasting.

Pity though, that some hosts can be sketchy or not forthright but I guess, or at least hope, an honest review process can sort that out fairly quickly.

Great dialogue.

Thanks again.