Security deposit

Answered!
Manos6
Level 1
Thrakomakedones, Greece

Security deposit

Hello there,i recently started using airbnb for my travels,been extremely satisfied by my experience so far.There is only one thing that got me confused and worried,recently i 've traveled to Vienna,Austria stayed in a really nice place by Linzer straβe,i paid for the appartment with my debit card and allowed a security deposit to be made in case something happens.Now two weeks later i've contacted the Hosts which were pleased by the state we left their apartment and our stay there,recieved no complaints about damages in the house or breaking any rules,the security deposit although haven't been returned to my account yet,and i can't seem to find a way to learn more about it.Any help on this is appreciated,thank you for your time.

Manos.

1 Best Answer

@Manos6, a security deposit through the Airbnb system is just an agreement. It is a "hold" so to speak on that amount, but it is never charged to you. What everyone is trying to tell you is that your host did not receive any money for a security deposit. You did not pay any money for a security deposit. You can look it up in the Help Centre here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

If you made arrangements outside the Airbnb system, then that is something else, and not something Airbnb can help you with. But if everything was kept on the Airbnb system, you paid nothing for a security deposit, and your host received nothing for it. 

You saw that amount on the listing, but you were never charged for it. Another way to check is to look under "Trips" at the itinerary and receipt for that trip. You will see the per-night charges, and the Airbnb service fee, and a cleaning fee if there was one, but no security deposit.

No one is trying to be annoying. Everyone is trying to be helpful. 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You never paid anything, nothing to return.

David
Manos6
Level 1
Thrakomakedones, Greece

Of course I did,I had to in order to make the reservation 

@Manos6 Airbnb doesn't charge the guest the deposit as a rule. Are you sure you were charged for that? 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Manos

Does your bank statement show a withdrawal for a deposit?

These notional deposits are causing a lot of confusion, it has recently been pointed out to me that having a security deposit stated on my listing would certainly deter Guest from eastern Europe booking my place, as they probably would not have the ready cash available to pay this deposit.

The fact that NO cash changes hands and the deposit is only used under agreed term between Host and Guest in the event of loss or damage is not clearly understood.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Manos6
Level 1
Thrakomakedones, Greece

First of thank you all for taking an interest in this and replying to my questions. I could accept that the hosts kept the money if there was any damage or rule breaking which there was none even then shouldn't I receive the hosts petition about the damages   shouldn't I have recorded 

You can not keep something you do not have.

David
Manos6
Level 1
Thrakomakedones, Greece

Please get of this thread,presumptuous minds aren't  helping one bit .annoy someone else. Peace

@Manos6, a security deposit through the Airbnb system is just an agreement. It is a "hold" so to speak on that amount, but it is never charged to you. What everyone is trying to tell you is that your host did not receive any money for a security deposit. You did not pay any money for a security deposit. You can look it up in the Help Centre here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

If you made arrangements outside the Airbnb system, then that is something else, and not something Airbnb can help you with. But if everything was kept on the Airbnb system, you paid nothing for a security deposit, and your host received nothing for it. 

You saw that amount on the listing, but you were never charged for it. Another way to check is to look under "Trips" at the itinerary and receipt for that trip. You will see the per-night charges, and the Airbnb service fee, and a cleaning fee if there was one, but no security deposit.

No one is trying to be annoying. Everyone is trying to be helpful.