Should I decline this guest?

Emma719
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Should I decline this guest?

Hi All, 

I am a new host, and have a couple of one night bookings in place (first one tonight). This morning I have had a request from a lady (under 25) requesting to come tomorrow with 3 others and stay for 6 days. All she has said is "Hi there, looking forward to staying in your annex". I have looked at her reviews (there are three) one says perfect, one says she brought more guests than she said, that they were not tidy and the host would not recommend, and the third said communication was all right but the lady did not mention a couple of things that had happened during her stay.  

I am concerned as we have two single beds and a double (sofa bed so no additional seating) and it will be cramped for 4 guests for 6 nights, and because of her reviews. Everything in the annex is brand new and I really don't want it trashed by our second guest. 

Should I accept or decline. Does anything happen if I decline, do I have to give a reason?

Thanks in Advance

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emma719  You say you think it will be cramped for 4 guests for 6 nights, but you list your place for 4 guests, so that seems a little strange to me.

But aside from that, you should always go with your gut feeling, it's usually telling you the right thing. I think Airbnb asks for a reason for the decline, but you don't have to give the guest a reason. But it might not be a bad idea to say something like, "Sorry, XX, but based on a couple of your past reviews, as well as the lack of information you volunteered in your request message, I am respectfully declining." Maybe that will make her think twice about how she behaves and communicates in the future.

Emma719
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you Sarah I have decided to decline the request.  I feel it is too much of a risk so early on in our Airbnb journey. I will also look at my wording re number of guests and make it clearer.

I avoided the temptation to fill my place with sofa beds. I have 3 bedrooms, each holds 2 people, so 6 maximum. I don't want any more people staying than that.

@Alex-and-Vaughan0

I realized that everything over 4 guests is trouble. 5+ guests is already a party even if they don't invite anyone else. You can't get their attention to show them how the lock works etc... they are like kids with ADHD  😄

A sofa bed is also a problem, guests don't look at the instructions provided and will try to fold it in a wrong way or will step on it in case there is a narrow space to walk by. I will throw away my sofa bed ( already damaged 3x ) and looking for an alternative sitting/sleeping daybed/sofa but this time for 1 person only and not the folding model