Unable to log in and use Airbnb app. August 2019

Michael2413
Level 3
North Andover, MA

Unable to log in and use Airbnb app. August 2019

Hi, I just installed the airbnb app update for my Android phone and cannot log in to use it.  Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know where I can download an older version of the app?  If by some off chance an airbnb dev is looking at this after trying to log-in you will end up in an infinite "load" screen that will just keep showing the normal loading icons  but it never ends.  It will also kick you back to the log-in screen and show the recaptcha to verify if you are a bot or not but not actually give you a recaptcha "puzzle/question" to solve.  I don't know how this is setup but looks like the new version is trying to just pass off to the airbnb mobile web page and it's failing there?

This is the newest version 19.31.4 that was released August 9, 2019

Phone Android version 6.0.1

3 Replies 3
Michael2413
Level 3
North Andover, MA

What I've tried:
I was able to download an old .apk file for an old version of the app (18.43) and no luck with that either
Uninstalled and reinstalled the app
Cleared app data
Cleared cache
Restarted phone
Tried resetting password using the app which it allows since you can click the "forgot password" link on the app. Successfully changed the password using the app.

My thoughts right now is that it's happening to people who have changed their passwords as I checked in the first few comments in the app reviews and noticed some others having the same problems with password changes.

It appears that you even after a password is changed if you are already logged into airbnb using the web browser that it will keep you logged in even though you changed your password in the app. 

I would think after the password was changed it would have booted me from the web browser but I was able to go into the messages screen from the home screen (of the web browser).

So I'm thinking that airbnb is having issues with keep passwords up to date so the app is maybe trying to verify a new password to an old password.  Maybe it's saving multiple passwords, old and new, and the app can't figure out which one it needs to verify to.

At any rate this sucks.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Michael2413

Great to meet you, sorry to hear you are having difficulties with the Airbnb app. As a few days have passed, I wanted to check if this has improved and you are able to access it yet? 

Have you tried changing your password on desktop and then just logging in as normal via the app, therefore avoiding this action on the app?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Michael2413 @Lizzie 

I don't think it's a password change issue. This has just started for me, having turned my phone off yesterday. When I turned the phone back on, i couldn't log into either the app, or through a browser (Firefox Focus) on the phone. Still able to log in on my laptop, though.  It seems to have something to do with Captcha, which began appearing at log in (and is "buggy" even on my desktop).

Have sent feedback (obvs), but it sure would be nice to get an official update on what's happening!