breaking house rules

Jackie182
Level 2
New York, NY

breaking house rules

Here is my situation. 

I have a 4 bedroom home in Philadelphia, and all of them are private rooms listings on airbnb. 

Each room has a 2 guest max.

One guest came in with over 8 People, making noise, and disturbing the guests within the home, as well as neighbors. I kindly messaged the guest, and explained my house rules, and requested he take the guests out somewhere else. 

He did not listen. 

Long story short, he left me a 3 star review, and that affects my ratings. I have superb ratings, and i really go out of my way to make sure everything is perfect for my guests. I put in a ton of money for the decor of the home, and the cleaning team i use. 

Airbnb doesnt want to remove the review and rating because it doesnt voilate policy. 

My policy was violated by the guest. The least airbnb can do is remove the comment and rating. What about my experience as a host, that doesnt matter?

In the hospitality business the guest is not first, its the staff thats first. When the staff is put 1st, the guests will be treated with the utmost respect. 

I hope you can all see this post, and if you have any info on what we can do about this, please let me know. 

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Jackie182 

Sorry to hear this happened. 

Can I ask why you didn't ask Airbnb to cancel the booking, when your guest refused to ask his friends to leave/be quiet?

You or your co-host could then have gone over to manage the guest leaving the property.

I appreciate you would still get a poor review but at least other guests in the house and your neighbours wouldn't have to put up with their awful behaviour - which is the important thing, particular when you have multiple guests booking happening under one roof.

In terms of what you can do, it is definitely to have CCTV if you host remotely and have local co-hosts who can be on hand quickly to deal with this sort of situation. You don't want bad reviews from your other guests who were affected by this awful guest. And of course leave an honest review and thumbs down to warn your fellow hosts.

I don't know what the local regs are like where you have your listing, but noise complaints from neighbours could impact on your ability to keep your listing. It's also worth vetting guests even if you use IB. For example only accept guests with photo iD and who answer questions around the purpose of their stay. Minimum two night stays also help weed out guests who party.

EDIT

What I really don't understand is why you left such a positive review for this guest -  that you say behaved so badly  'Darryll was a great guest and is recommended to all hosts!' You are encouraging other hosts to have this guest stay when  you know he behaved appalling at yours - why?

Paul41
Level 4
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Totally agree with Helen why give a positive review to such a poor guest.  

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Jackie182  Since you gave him a great view even to the point of recommending him to other hosts, I don't see there is anything that you can do.  I have to echo others who are wondering why someone who you say violated your rules, and when asked to change his behavior refused to do so, would you have given such a great review?  

Debra279
Level 2
Cape Coral, FL

I would be very upset if I allowed this guest to book my home, based on a good review from you. It is courteous to us all for honesty with an unruly guest. I have same situation now, and will not recommend they are more suited for a hotel room.