moderate cancellation policy question

Jeremy411
Level 1
Madison, WI

moderate cancellation policy question

A few weeks ago I booked a stay with a place using a moderate cancellation policy.  The trip is not for another several months.  

I need to cancel but it looks like I am not going to get my service fee refunded.  But it says very clearly in the Airbnb moderate cancellation policy that

"The Airbnb service fee is refundable up to 3 times per year if the guest cancels at least 14 days before check-in".

I am well before 14 days before check-in.  Why is my service fee not being refunded??  I have not canceled more than 3x, and I do not have a reservation that overlaps with an existing reservation.  What am I missing here? 

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeremy411  It's unclear- have you already cancelled, or not yet and seeing a refund listed which doesn't include a refund of the service fee? I've never been a guest, so not sure if they show the service fee refund when you look at cancelling, or it just gets reimbursed anyway as long as you haven't made more than 3 cancellations in a year.

Or perhaps you still need to cancel within 48 hours to get the service fee refunded, but you can't get it refunded at all, even within 48 hours, if you've cancelled more than 3 times in a year. But in that case, their wording is misleading. 

You may have to contact Airbnb to explain and sort this out for you. It certainly seems that you should be entitled to a service fee refund, reading that policy as written.