Blocked Toilet...

Beth221
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Blocked Toilet...

Apologies if this isn’t the right place to post this but was hoping for some advice! I have a 2 bed 2 bath property, which we have been renting on Airbnb since April.

All going well except I get a call this evening that one of the toilets is blocked. The toilet in question is a saniflo (macerator) which has just stopped pumping out. There are signs every where advising people not to flush anything except pee/poo/paper and the current guests swear they haven’t put anything they shouldn’t down it. They are checking out in the morning, and can use the other toilet with no problem - but I have guests checking in tomorrow afternoon. Whilst I am 99% sure I can get the engineer in, toilet fixed, and property ready for check in - what should I do if for any reason the toilet cannot be fixed there and then!? Should I cancel or explain the situation and that they can only use 1 toilet and give them a discount?

I don’t want to let people down by cancelling but also don’t want them to be unhappy with the property if only 1 toilet is operational. 

Any advice gratefully received! 

2 Replies 2
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Beth221 I wouldn't cancel: I would start by just explaining the situation to them, and see what they say. I wouldnt even dangle the discount carrot until you know how long it will be out for... If at all. I once rented an Airbnb in London that didn't have a properly functional toilet for 2 days through no fault of the host... Sometimes stuff happens. If it goes on longer than 12 hours, or if they seem really upset, I would offer a discount. 

Sue521
Level 2
Canandaigua, NY

I did something similar because my dish for cable and satellite was knocked off of our roof and had three different guests checking in and I didn't want them to be upset so I reached out to them and informed them, also got Roku for the tvs that way they could stream Netflix etc and used my phone as a hot spot and all was well with everyone and they all were thrilled and gave us 5*!!! Lol you never know. Like anything put it in their hands and see what makes them happy and you may not have to do anything but give them your great place to stay, great hospitality and a temporary solution that works....

best,

sue